Laura Mam brings freedom to war-torn Cambodia

This is a free speech zone where you can discuss and debate everything Cambodia related. Cambodia Speakeasy is Cambodia's leading expat discussion forum.

Postby scobienz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:33 pm

No, really. She does. It's true, because Playboy says so.

http://www.playboy.com/articles/laura-mam-profile

The 10,000 Cambodians standing in an enormous parking lot on a rainy Thursday night are ostensibly excited to see the evening’s headliner, Korean pop star Rain. But before Rain come 12 young Khmer artists each performing one original song, one after another. It’s a landmark lineup: likely the first slate of all-original artists to grace such a stage in Cambodia’s capital of Phnom Penh since the early 1970s.
That was the golden age of Cambodian music, when the country was the envy of Southeast Asia and its singers were cultural icons. Then the Khmer Rouge marched into the city with a vision of an agrarian utopia, one that didn’t allow art or culture or personal identities. More than a quarter of Cambodia’s population was slaughtered. Musicians were among the regime’s top targets.
You can still hear the classics of the ‘60s everywhere, on the radio or as the soundtrack at many shops, restaurants and bars. The music represents echoes of a shattered prosperity Cambodia still hasn’t rebuilt.
But now, the country is in the throes of a cultural renaissance led in part by a wild-eyed Khmer-American: Laura Mam.
Mam takes the stage at the concert with a lone violinist for a quiet, dramatic opening. Cue smoke, a dozen contemporary dancers and the deafening roar of thousands of thundersticks. Her upbeat, electro-pop ditty winds down with her kneeling on the floor, poised like an all-powerful queen, as dancers fly in all directions.
Even at only four minutes long, it’s an impressive show. More impressive is that the audience starts filtering out as soon as the Korean headliner takes the stage moments later. They didn’t want Rain. They wanted Cambodian artists. They wanted Mam. And that’s a huge deal.

(more nonsensical rubbish on the link above)
"Sheffield, where I changed / And ate an awful pie."
scobienz
K440 Superhero

Postby Playboy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:48 pm

scobienz wrote:No, really. She does. It's true, because Playboy says so.

Hey !!

Do not drag me into this, just because I made out with her once - that was just because I was drunk and was bored of Talking to Gonk ...

Sent from my SM-G928C using Tapatalk
"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
Playboy
Francophile

Re: Laura Mam brings freedom to war-torn Cambodia

Postby Lucky Lucan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:03 pm

I can't wait for this Khmerican to bring freedom here, everyone's had enough of this war. :-? :roll: 8-)
We all gotta duck..............when the shit hits the fan.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby Hanno » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:12 pm

More impressive is that the audience starts filtering out as soon as the Korean headliner takes the stage moments later.

I call bullshit to that, everything Korean is huge in Asia.
"I realized that If I had to choose, I would rather have birds than airplanes."

Charles Lindbergh
Hanno
The Internet is my Friend

Postby Spigzy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:02 pm

It is true - but partly due to it being way past Khmer bed-time before Rain came on (9pm+) and again because it actually started to rain!
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Spigzy
Hoff FanBoy

Postby Lucky Lucan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Hanno wrote:
More impressive is that the audience starts filtering out as soon as the Korean headliner takes the stage moments later.

I've seen that sort of thing a few times here though, where a whole crowd will just up and disappear without really giving much regard to anyone or thing. I was at a "posh" wedding in Mondiale years ago and they had a few stars including Preap Sovath playing. He was the final act, and as soon as he finished everyone just upped and left, helping themselves to the giant fruit displays on the way out. Most didn't even say bye to the hosts. :-?
We all gotta duck..............when the shit hits the fan.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby businessclass » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:17 am

That's very brave, to give up a singing carrier in the US, to come here and help this country out with its many problems.
businessclass
I have some social problems

Postby Hanno » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:38 am

and as soon as he finished

Finished being the operative word.

They must have been subversive Youn, this sort of thing is common at weddings in Vietnam. When I got married, I was just getting into the grove of things when 300 people upped and left within 10 seconds....

Charles Lindbergh
Hanno

Postby Playboy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:45 am

Hanno wrote:

They must have been subversive Youn, this sort of thing is common at weddings in Vietnam. When I got married, I was just getting into the grove of things when 300 people upped and left within 10 seconds....
"Dancing Hanno clears the Club in seconds"

"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
Playboy
Francophile

Postby pedros » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:27 am

Playboy wrote:
Hanno wrote:

pedros
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates

Postby Hanno » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:43 am

pedros wrote:
Playboy wrote:
Hanno wrote:

Hahaha, I am actually Bavarian but there is no dancing at Vietnamese wedding parties, Schuplatterln least of all.

Charles Lindbergh
Hanno

Postby merchantsmutual » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:08 am

Hanno wrote:

I passed a whole language learning center for Korean not far from the independence monument. They also love Korean music especially that idiotic Mr. Simple song that makes me want to fight someone.
merchantsmutual
I live above an internet cafe

Postby Bubble T » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:32 am

Lucky Lucan wrote:they had a few stars including Preap Sovath playing

According to the article, Laura Mam is Cambodia's first pop star, so Preap Sovath and whoever else you're referring to are just figments of your imagination.
Bubble T
I Love 440 More Than Real Life

Postby thepostman2020 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:35 am

Lucky Lucan wrote:I can't wait for this Khmerican to bring freedom here, everyone's had enough of this war. :-? :roll: 8-)

I think the main wars any Cambodians are involved in at the moment are in CAR, Mali and South Sudan. :wink:
thepostman2020
My Only Friend is my Computer

Location: Place: Restored United States of America - Time: Post-Apocalyptic Future

Return to Cambodia Speakeasy