Loophole for deportees to get home to the US?

This is a free speech zone where you can discuss and debate everything Cambodia related. Cambodia Speakeasy is Cambodia's leading expat discussion forum.

Loophole for deportees to get home to the US?

Postby Miguelito » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:07 pm

Looks like one deportee just found a way home -- a "superior court judge would reverse his criminal conviction over a prejudicial error — that he was not properly notified of the immigration consequences of pleading guilty."

‘I feel blessed’: Deported Cambodian refugee from Sacramento returns home to family

Tem’s return to the United States after living in Cambodia for six months is unprecedented, Kim said. She believes that it is the first example of a Cambodian deportee returning to the United States after overturning a criminal judgment and reversing the subsequent deportation order.

“I’m hopeful that more people can come back,” Kim said. “Refugees that come here deserve to be with their families in the U.S. They don’t have another home.”

So any deportee that plead guilty should be able to follow suit (as long as they weren't notified of the deportation at that time).
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Re: Loophole for deportees to get home to the US?

Postby gavinmac » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:23 pm

No, every potential deportee makes the argument during deportation proceedings. Sometimes they win, sometimes they lose. This one was just weird on the timing, that he was deported right before the judge ruled on it.
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003

Postby Miguelito » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:26 pm

gavinmac wrote:No, every potential deportee makes the argument during deportation proceedings. Sometimes they win, sometimes they lose. This one was just weird on the timing, that he was deported right before the judge ruled on it.

But isn't this different - he didn't win with the deportation proceedings, he was able to get his actual conviction overturned on the prejudicial error, which thereby removed the grounds for the deportation?

Out of curiosity, are you able to find out if it really was just marijuana, as these guys normally tend to talk down their convictions?
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby logos » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:17 am

So there's hope for telesales after all?
logos
WankPoodle

Postby Lucky Lucan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:20 am

I hope all these deportees who don't like it here can use this loop-hole to get back to their muthafukin hoods. 8-)
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby Alexandra » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:48 am

Back home to be dealt with by rivaling bangers. Is it better? Ride for life right?
Bless is no more
Alexandra
Penitus In Meus Brain , Universitas Tune

Postby newnewnewbie » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:27 am

Inflation is rampant, tons of homeless, the loudmouth attitudes, hard to get used to, .. pizza slice $5, subway sandwich $8 pint of beer $4, hotelrooms $50 pr. day for the shite room, .. sim card $55.. but the beach is still nice, latest trend, rent an electric scooter with the Lyft app. $1 down and 7c a mile.. they are everywhere.. latest report from LA, oh. Green fee as low as $2500 in woodland hills, so one can be a baller on the facebook etc. Ps. The beers here aren't great, we are far from Belgium, this Pacifico tastes like dishwater, and the stench of kush
everywhere.. tons of overweight people, some with pride all over their ways.. and the aggressive niggers with attitude is really getting to me. Paperwork is done, and glad to be out of here soon.
newnewnewbie
I live above an internet cafe

Postby newnewnewbie » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:27 pm

Sorry I went too far, this right after witnessing two African Americans going off on eachother on Venice Beach, calling eachother nigger a multiple of times as well as 'i own this beach' 'this is my turf' 'i fought over 100 guys and won' 'i'll beat your nigger ass'.. but I know quite well the rule that only black people can use that term these days. But yeah, US is getting rough, and been getting a lot of shit for doing nothing else than walking peacefully down the street.
newnewnewbie
I live above an internet cafe

Return to Cambodia Speakeasy