Rithy Panh Films

A place to discuss all aspects of Cambodian history and culture. This is the place to post links to books, articles, documentaries etc on our host country, and to find images of Cambodia's past.

Rithy Panh Films

Postby shizzle » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:18 pm

I've been trying to find some Khmer films on the torrent sites lately. I came across a few Rithy Panh films if anyone is interested:

One Evening After The War:
- Torrent link removed -
Set in the early days of peace in post-Khmer Rouge Cambodia, One Evening after the War explores the personal ramifications of Cambodia's traumatic history through the romance between a former soldier and an indentured prostitute. Returning to civilian life after fighting the Khmer Rouge on Cambodia's northern front, ex-soldier Savannah struggles to establish a new life in Phnom Penh. Living with his Uncle one of the few of his family to survive the conflict Savannah is forced to eke out a small income as a kick boxer. One evening he meets Srey Poeuv, a dancehall companion and they fall in love. Unable to raise the funds to clear her debts to the dancehalls owner, their fragile contentment is shattered when Savannah devises an ill-fated plan to free them both from poverty.

Rice People:
- Torrent link removed -
Acclaimed Cambodian director Rithy Panh (S21: The Khmer Rouge Killing Machine) reveals the never-ending struggle of Cambodia s rice-paddy farmers In this powerful story of loss and survival. RICE PEOPLE is a remarkable early feature film from Panh who in 1979 narrowly escaped a Khmer Rouge labor camp and the genocide that claimed most of his family. Poeuv and Om fight everything from cobras to floods to disease to grow a successful rice crop. When Poeuv dies from an infection caused by stepping on a thorn while plowing Om must forge on to take care of her seven daughters. Adding to her troubles is the Old World attitude that her daughters are financial burdens not the assets that sons would be. Panh s dynamic camerawork throws us into the midst of the oozing mud of the paddies which are so tightly linked to the life and death struggle of the rice people.

The Sea Wall (French, not Khmer)
- Torrent link removed -
French Indochina, 1931. In the Gulf of Siam, a Widow and her two children, Joseph, 20, and Suzanne, 16, barely survive by exploiting rice fields located much too close to the ocean. Every year their crops are flooded and their only hope lies in the construction of a seawall. The mother refuses to give up and desperately battles both the sea and the corrupt colonial bureaucrats.

I'm trying to get my hands on Paper Cannot Wrap Ember (2007), The People of Angkor (2003) and The Land of the Wandering Souls (2000). I'd be very much obliged if anyone came up with some links for those (or any other Khmer language films that they'd recommend).
shizzle
440 Wind Overload

Re: Rithy Panh Films

Postby CharlesTubborce » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:31 pm

shizzle wrote:the romance between a former soldier and an indentured prostitute

Why are most romance films set in SE Asia usually about a guy who falls in love with or marries a hooker?

Surely there's 1 or 2 guys over the decades who've met a SE Asian girl who wasn't.
CharlesTubborce
My Best Friend is my Computer

Postby jay » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:36 am

CharlesTubborce wrote:Surely there's 1 or 2 guys over the decades who've met a SE Asian girl who wasn't.

Eh, no. :stupid:
jay
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Postby doktor_d » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:00 am

jay wrote:
CharlesTubborce wrote:Surely there's 1 or 2 guys over the decades who've met a SE Asian girl who wasn't.

Eh, no. :stupid:

So what you're saying is that the wives and girlfriends of the forum members on K440 are all whores?
Alcohol is necessary so that a man can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts
doktor_d
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Postby shizzle » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:44 am

Found a couple copies of Paper Cannot Wrap Ember (Le papier ne peut pas envelopper la braise). However, neither one is in English.

Here's one with a French overdub:
- Link Removed -

Here's one with Khmer audio and French subtitles:
- Link Removed -
shizzle
440 Wind Overload

Postby marklatham » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:18 pm

Une nuit apres la guerre is a beautiful and very sad film.
One shouldnt denigrate it until one has seen it.
The barrage is beautifully made and sad as well but unfortunately it is in bloody french with no sub titles.
Rithy pan is very clever.
My favourite DVD shop man described recently how rithy pan came to his shop and my mate asked him to autograph some DVDs.
Rithy pan gracefully declined to autograph bootlegs.
marklatham
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates

Postby hanky » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:11 pm

The Land of the Wandering Souls is an excellent documentary, but I've no idea where you can get it, I saw it at a ilm festival.
Who Gives a Fuck?
hanky
I have attained enlightenment

Postby shizzle » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:41 pm

hanky wrote:The Land of the Wandering Souls is an excellent documentary, but I've no idea where you can get it, I saw it at a ilm festival.

That seems to be the problem with a lot of independent films. There are a number of films that I read about after they've won awards at festivals, but then I can never find them. I would think that with the Internet, purchasing any film would be straightforward, regardless of how small the demand might be.

marklatham wrote:Rithy pan gracefully declined to autograph bootlegs.

I would gladly purchase these films legitimately if I could find a source for them.
shizzle
440 Wind Overload

Postby doktor_d » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:15 pm

shizzle wrote:I would gladly purchase these films legitimately if I could find a source for them.

They have "La terre des âmes errantes" on French Amazon

In a DVD box set. 4 movies..Le Cinéma de Rithy Panh

- Site 2 (1989)
- La terre des âmes errantes (1999)
- Bophana, une tragédie cambodgienne (1996)
- S21 (2002)

Found it on French ebay too.. This guy ships worldwide
Alcohol is necessary so that a man can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts
doktor_d
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Postby shizzle » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:41 pm

doktor_d wrote:
shizzle wrote:I would gladly purchase these films legitimately if I could find a source for them.

They have "La terre des âmes errantes" on French Amazon

In a DVD box set. 4 movies..Le Cinéma de Rithy Panh

- Site 2 (1989)
- La terre des âmes errantes (1999)
- Bophana, une tragédie cambodgienne (1996)
- S21 (2002)

Found it on French ebay too.. This guy ships worldwide

:D Let me rephrase - I would gladly purchase these films legitimately if I could find a source for them with English subs.
shizzle
440 Wind Overload

Re:

Postby shizzle » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:37 am

hanky wrote:The Land of the Wandering Souls is an excellent documentary, but I've no idea where you can get it, I saw it at a ilm festival.

Finally got a copy of this one... Unfortunately, it only has hardcoded Spanish subtitles. If you can speak Khmer or read Spanish, it is worth downloading. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

The Land of the Wandering Souls is a documentary depicting their hardships of a Cambodian family as they work to dig a trench across Cambodia to lay the country's first optical fiber cable. At one point during their excavation, the workers uncover a killing field, a remnant of the genocidal purges of the Khmer Rouge.

Split RAR:
- Link Removed -
shizzle
440 Wind Overload

Re: Re:

Postby hanky » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:06 pm

shizzle wrote: At one point during their excavation, the workers uncover a killing field, a remnant of the genocidal purges of the Khmer Rouge.

I don't remember that part, but I do remember the lead digger getting really pissed off and threatening to resign because he kept digging up mortar shells and bombs and things. They were getting paid a pittance and he didn't think it was worth getting blown up for. I think they have the film in the DVD shop opposite D's books on 154 street.
Who Gives a Fuck?
hanky
I have attained enlightenment

Postby shizzle » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:04 pm

The Burnt Theatre, or Les Artistes du Théâtre Brûlé, is a 2005 French-Cambodian docudrama directed and co-written by Rithy Panh. A blend of fact and fiction, based on the actual lives of the actors, the film depicts a troupe of actors and dancers struggling to practise their art in the burned-out shell of Cambodia's former national theatre, the Preah Suramarit National Theatre in Phnom Penh.

The Burnt Theatre premiered at the 2005 Cannes Film Festival as an official selection in the out-of-competition main programme and has been screened at several other film festivals.

Hardcoded English subtitles.

Split RAR
- Link Removed -
shizzle
440 Wind Overload

Postby Bitteeinbit » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:23 am

I've met him and chatted with him at one of his Western showings. Nice guy but I've admittedly never seen any of his movies...
Bitteeinbit
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Postby Karong » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:23 pm

Found this one which reportedly has English subs. I'm downloading it now so am not certain.

- Link Removed -
"dge, phn nh"
Karong
I live above an internet cafe

Return to Cambodian History and Culture