Dental advice

This is a free speech zone where you can discuss and debate everything Cambodia related whether you're a dyed in the wool leftist, a liberal or somewhere to right of Attila the Hun. This is also where you get to read the news the local media suppresses.

Dental advice

Postby BirdBrain » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:10 pm

I have a friend who requires major dental work. I am unsure of whether to advise getting it done in Phnom Penh where it is cheaper or in Bangkok where the expertise may come in handy. I am not to sure of the ability of Cambodian dentists and whether they can handle such grotesque dental deformity.
BirdBrain
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates

Re: Dental advice

Postby Old_major » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:36 pm

I usually bring my family to Roomchang Dental Clinic (http://www.roomchangdental.com). They have Khmer and Western dentists there. My father happens to be a dentist and when we visit my parents back in Europe on Christmas he always checks our teeth. He never had anything to complain about their work. If your friend's teeth are in such a bad shape it will require a lot of appointments. That would make a lot of traveling to and from Bangkok necessary.
Old_major
I live above an internet cafe

Postby BirdBrain » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Western dentists? Do you know where from? That is certainly a glowing recommendation. I will look into it.
BirdBrain

Postby Old_major » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:11 pm

BirdBrain wrote:Western dentists? Do you know where from? That is certainly a glowing recommendation. I will look into it.

No idea. When I have been there they alway asked me whether I wanted a Cambodian or a Western dentist. I don't care what skin colour my dentist has as long as he gets the job done so I always ended up with a Cambodian one. To be precise, on their website they have a group photo of the staff that shows >one< white face. But for sure he's not the only Western dentist in town.
Old_major

Postby LaudJohn » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:10 pm

IMI clinic, Dr Khot My, great experience when my wife paid $1,500 for a job that was quoted at $5,000 in Melbourne about 3 1/2 years ago.

Western trained with as potless Western Standard clinic and equipment.
Note to self: Must be nice to morons.
LaudJohn
Feminist Watch List

Postby BirdBrain » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:15 pm

$5k of dental in Aus is just a consultation isn't it?
BirdBrain

Postby horace » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:41 pm

Old_major wrote:I usually bring my family to Roomchang Dental Clinic (http://www.roomchangdental.com). They have Khmer and Western dentists there. My father happens to be a dentist and when we visit my parents back in Europe on Christmas he always checks our teeth. He never had anything to complain about their work. If your friend's teeth are in such a bad shape it will require a lot of appointments. That would make a lot of traveling to and from Bangkok necessary.

I concur have been using RoomChang for nearly 9 years and they have outstanding service ( 5 crowns and 12 fillings over the years most were done in the first few visits as my Hampstead's were a mess from years of neglect.
As an added bonus they do have the prettiest staff in town. :D
k440, something to do when you're pissed.
horace
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Postby MasterofDisaster » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:14 am

cheers for the recommmendation
MasterofDisaster
I've got nothing better to do

Postby MasterofDisaster » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:18 am

ui wus also recommend all chinese govt hospitals. they r well trained, u dont really need to speak chinese and they dont dust u out after 7 minutes and grab 30$ LIKE THAI "DENTISTS" do...........

15$ for 2 hours world class service in hospitals in china
MasterofDisaster
I've got nothing better to do

Re: Re: Dental advice

Postby cambod » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:46 am

Old_major wrote:When I have been there they alway asked me whether I wanted a Cambodian or a Western dentist. I don't care what skin colour my dentist has

What they were really asking u was, "Do u want a dentist that EARNED his degree or a dentist that PAID for it...?" They weren't asking u what skin color u prefer, lol...
cambod
Twatflannel First Class

Re: Re: Dental advice

Postby hanky » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:31 am

cambod wrote:
What they were really asking u was, "Do u want a dentist that EARNED his degree or a dentist that PAID for it...?" They weren't asking u what skin color u prefer, lol...

That's more of the usual pessimistic, uninformed crap we hear too much around here. There are plenty of good Cambodian dentists, many of whom studied abroad.
Who Gives a Fuck?
hanky
I have attained enlightenment

Re: Re: Re: Dental advice

Postby cambod » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:52 pm

hanky wrote:
cambod wrote:

That's more of the usual pessimistic, uninformed crap we hear too much around here. There are plenty of good Cambodian dentists, many of whom studied abroad.

I know, I try to be more optimistic like u Hanky, but it's just so hard...

"Plenty" is probably pushing it though.. :-P

I guess what they should ask is "Do u want a dentist that studied here or one that studied in a foreign land?".... Thus taking the race aspect that gets everyone so antsy out of it..
cambod
Twatflannel First Class

Postby ken svay » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:59 pm

Cambodian dentists are great.
Its the opposite here to australia.
In australia doctors are honest and dentists are thieves.
Dr chou nee,trained in bangkok,spotless surgery opposite the container port-017 852 568.
Best dentist that I have ever had.
ken svay
Is the World Outside still there ?

Postby PenhMan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Great thread and information.

Especially since I'm moving to PP tomorrow!!!
"We want our country to develop step by step. But that is such a long way off . . . as far away as the stars."
Jobless father in documentary Cambodia: Country of Scars.
PenhMan
I have some social problems

Postby todaysman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:16 pm

ken svay wrote:Cambodian dentists are great.
Dr chou nee,trained in bangkok,spotless surgery opposite the container port-017 852 568.
Best dentist that I have ever had.

I concur. Very thorough.
todaysman

Next

Return to The Speakeasy