'SunSan' ( Henning Wessel) has passed away

This is a free speech zone where you can discuss and debate everything Cambodia related whether you're a dyed in the wool leftist, a liberal or somewhere to right of Attila the Hun.

Re: 'SunSan' ( Henning Wessel) has passed away

Postby cambod » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:00 am

Playboy wrote:
cambod wrote:Andy and I are meeting up on Friday

When and where?
I want to contribute.

andyinasia wrote:danny and I will be at Garage c.7.30 Friday.

Mint got the money Hennings sister sent yesterday but after a long struggle. for reasons i cant go into, for Mint cash in hand is far preferable to sending money to her via a bank. she doesnt have any account.

she wants to sell a bed tv dvd player etc. I'll take pics on Sat and post.
generally, I think giving cash when shes ready to leave for Bangkok is fine.

giblet wrote:I think it makes sense to ask Mint how she would prefer to receive the money. She probably has a good sense of whether her neighborhood is dangerous or whether getting the bank/family/whatever involved is more risk for her! She's an adult and I think she can decide whether she'd prefer cash in Cambodia or a bank transfer in Thailand.

It sounds like Cambod is taking contributions via Paypal, Andy is taking contributions via bank transfer with ACLEDA and CAMPU, and jm is taking cash contributions. I can take ANZ contributions for anyone in Cambodia that would prefer to do it that way (might just be Hanno), and I'll deliver to jm/Andy/Cambod at Garage.

*Sorry, just saw that Andy clarified the cash vs bank issue

Yeah, giving her cash-in-hand seems fine to me. I'm guessing thousands of Cambodians and Thais safely make that trip with their life's savings on them every day.

Ok, see you all 2moro. Goodnite.
cambod
Twatflannel First Class

Postby andyinasia » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:30 pm

We went to visit Mint today. She's doing as well as can be expected. She's concerned that flooding in Thailand might delay her departure and she'll have to vacate tge house. She can't fly due to her luggage. She'll be rejoining her family; also, she has health issues herself and will get better care, on the 30 baht medical scheme in Thailand.

It will take me 3 or 4 days to get photos up, but she wants to sell a bed, fridge, TV and DVD player, all quite ild, plus an aircon unit and Henning's 3 very nice tailored suits. She'll accept any offers.

She doesn't have a bank account in Thailand and might have problems opening one. She'd much rather people would give her cash to take with her. She's extremely moved and grateful for all the love and support from you guys.
Ain't nobody got time for that!
andyinasia
440 is hard-wired into my eyes

Postby flying chicken » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:37 pm

Would love to chip in but currently in a dire situation. The wife asked me to pass her condolence. A great man he is.
Everyone bow down and pay extreme homage to his Majesty flying chicken.
flying chicken
I Love 440 More Than Real Life

Postby kiiniaew » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Shoot, I did not look in this topic for some time. Would like to donate some money but don't have any bank account here. Can I drop by at Garage any time? What is jm's reallife name?

I did not know mr Wessel had a Thai wife. My wife is Thai and she has more family-members here as well (all from Surin). If we can translate or provide support in any way please PM and I pass it on.

Where does Mint need to go in Thailand and how much she has to bring? We have some other Thai connections that drive up to I-saarn on a regular schedule. Other destinations I will have to check.

Hopefully she can return home soon and receive the support of her family. I can only imagine how she must feel now.
kiiniaew
I live above an internet cafe

Postby andyinasia » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:28 pm

You can drop cash off a Garage. JM will look after it. Mint isn't from Isaan;she'from a place about 200 km
from Bangkok.

Thanks.
andyinasia

Postby Phuket2006 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:16 pm

200 kms from Bangkok heading northeast is Essan :-)
flooding was only near the border at Poi Pet and it is fine now.
I am heading to that border monday so will let a know.

Here is SR its clear and the first time i have seen the moon in 10 days!!

Best wishes to her.
"We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer." HST
Phuket2006
EGO Sum Unus Per Penitus

Postby andyinasia » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:19 pm

Phuket2006 wrote:200 kms from Bangkok heading northeast is Essan :-)
flooding was only near the border at Poi Pet and it is fine now.

Best wishes to her.

Poipet is the problem. good to hear it's okay now.
andyinasia

Postby andyinasia » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:58 am

As I mentioned, Mint would be very grateful if anyone could take some items off her hands. Any reasonable offers would be gladly accepted. Just PM me with offers.
Thanks.

Items for sale:

Fridge, TV, DVD player

Close-up of DVD player

Bed

Aircon

Three suits (tailor-made, no labels, but anyone who knew Henning knows the size):
andyinasia

Postby Phuket2006 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:23 pm

poi pet border open for business as usual and no flooding
"We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer." HST
Phuket2006
EGO Sum Unus Per Penitus

Postby giblet » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:22 pm

I just wanted to remind everyone that Cambod is taking contributions via Paypal, Andyinasia is taking contributions via bank transfer with ACLEDA and CAMPU, and jm is taking cash contributions at Garage on Street 110. I am taking ANZ contributions for anyone in Cambodia that would prefer to do it that way.

We are meeting Mint to deliver the money this weekend before she heads to Thailand. Her situation sounds pretty grim and I am sure Henning would be happy that we are helping her. We've done a great job so far but I am hoping we can come up with a lot more. Please PM me if you'd like to make other arrangements to donate.
giblet
Bark plop plop bark woof woof

Postby andyinasia » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:22 am

Owing to the flooding around Poipet, Mint has decided to postpone her departure by a couple of weeks.
andyinasia

Postby violet » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:32 am

Phuket2006 wrote:poi pet border open for business as usual and no flooding

andyinasia wrote:Owing to the flooding around Poipet, Mint has decided to postpone her departure by a couple of weeks.

?

Perhaps she is generally having second thoughts about moving back to Thailand? At least money provided will enable her to make different choices in life, even though she is in need of it for all sorts of reasons, it still provides a small opportunity to choose.
The night hides the world but reveals a universe
violet
Suspicious Little Mad Woman

Postby Phuket2006 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:10 am

yes, like i said, roads are fine as there has been no rain this week up there.

Since she is thai I would think she would feel more at home with her relatives rather than a bunch of Barangs, even though they are kind hearted
same about bank account. if she has id card or passport, it takes about 5 minutes to open a bank account in Thailand.

I dont know her and this is no way bad about her, but giving a thai a bunch of a cash is something i would not do. To easy to spend an when the relatives knows she has $$ they will all have their hands out.
Phuket2006
EGO Sum Unus Per Penitus

Postby andyinasia » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:38 am

violet wrote:
Phuket2006 wrote:poi pet border open for business as usual and no flooding

andyinasia wrote:Owing to the flooding around Poipet, Mint has decided to postpone her departure by a couple of weeks.

?

Perhaps she is generally having second thoughts about moving back to Thailand? At least money provided will enable her to make different choices in life, even though she is in need of it for all sorts of reasons, it still provides a small opportunity to choose.

We'll see her again on Saturday and have a good chat. To be fair, the PPP yesterday reported on serious flooding in Poipet putting the residents of the local prison in severe jeopardy.
andyinasia

Postby gavinmac » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:44 am

Why would she leave if white people in Phnom Penh keep giving her money?
gavinmac
I'm slow slow, not like tiger

PreviousNext

Return to Cambodia Speakeasy