Any other ex-expat kids around?

This is a free speech zone where you can discuss and debate everything Cambodia related. Cambodia Speakeasy is Cambodia's leading expat discussion forum.

Re: Any other ex-expat kids around?

Postby Alex » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:48 am

That's really a great post! It did take quite a long time to read it, but I can honestly say it was worth each and every minute. Thanks a lot for sharing, Khmerized! :)
Alex
Bark plop plop bark woof woof

Postby peterpuck » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:49 am

Sorry, but I just now read your post. I come from military kids, not French and not Indochina. I just want say that your post is probably, no not probably at all, it is is the absolutely the the finest post that I have ever read
on this forum... savored every word.

thanks
peterpuck
I've got nothing better to do

Postby stevecz » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:52 am

Great read ery entertaining
stevecz
I live above an internet cafe

Postby PenhMan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:12 pm

Thank you, Khmerized, for letting us see your life, past and present, through your eyes. Wonderfully engaging, entertaining, informative and insightful report. :bravo:

PS I've only recently come back to reading K440 because of an impending return visit after 9 months. So refreshing to read the knowledgeable and entertaining (!!!) posts, so unlike the whining and illiterate sniping that goes on in the expat forums of my host country. (I exist in Pattaya, my apologies!)

Edit: extraneous crap removed.
"We want our country to develop step by step. But that is such a long way off . . . as far away as the stars."
Jobless father in documentary Cambodia: Country of Scars.
PenhMan
I need professional help

Postby DerekinAsia » Wed May 01, 2013 3:54 am

Great read Khmerized. Thanks for sharing.
DerekinAsia
5 minutes to kill

Postby khmerhit » Thu May 02, 2013 12:39 am

Thanks for that remarkable post, which reminded me of L'Amant.

Take care of yourself, young man. You can return and help your country, one day.

Btw your skin colour doesn't make you Khmer, mais tu les sais deja.

N'oublie pas les mots de Voltaire, et cultives ton jardin avant tous.

bonne chance,

khmerhit

(ma fille est khmere blanche aussi) :prey:
Joined: '03; Member 39. Funny Quote: Prince Phillip to a driving Instructor in Scotland: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them to pass the test?"
khmerhit
In 93! - I was here, man, you know

Postby logos » Thu May 02, 2013 5:29 am

Jesus Khmerhit, I don't know where you picked up your French but it definitely wasn't at Descartes.
logos
WankPoodle

Postby khmerhit » Mon May 06, 2013 9:31 pm

I did not PICK UP my French! I am officiellement bilingue! Ah em ze dogs boolox as you Eenglish say :off: :spam: :stupid:
Joined: '03; Member 39. Funny Quote: Prince Phillip to a driving Instructor in Scotland: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them to pass the test?"
khmerhit
In 93! - I was here, man, you know

Postby Miguelito » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:41 am

I came upon this thread a little while back, and thought that it was absolutely excellent.

As many suggested back in 2013, I put Khmerized's post on the Front Page, here: http://www.khmer440.com/k/2018/06/from-the-archives-a-rare-insight-into-growing-up-in-phnom-penh/

Part of why I thought this was so interesting was that he not only highlights his former classmates by putting them into different groups, but by doing so he gives us a chance to look around city as a whole, and ourselves, to see how these different classes/groups interact.

Based on the comments in this thread, many of the same posters are still here, but we also have many new ones and a much broader reach, so hopefully an even greater number of people will appreciate this. Unfortunately, Khmerized has moved on, and no longer posts. I haven't been able to track him down, but if anyone is still in contact please let him know this has been posted.
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby tombraider » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:08 am

Yes I remember this, a great read. thanks for the re-post Migs, he had a great writing style even though English wasnt his first language, a funny anecdote about dating the ministers daughter as well

crazy teachers who actually expect Khmer students to learn about French (de)colonization of Indochina, the Vietnam war, and uh.. the Khmer Rouge (she was bound to ask “grandpa, is that you on that picture?” if she ever reached page 87 of our History book).

:thumbsup:
tombraider
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Postby Bubble T » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:22 am

I hadn't seen this thread before but it was a great read. As a few of you know, I came here alone when I was 17 at a time when the average age of expats was a fair bit higher than it seems to be now. At the time I was running Riverhouse and we had a regular group of last year students from Northbridge who I ended up befriending as a means to have some friends around my own age. My experiences of getting to know them was pretty much exactly as was described here.
Bubble T
I Love 440 More Than Real Life

Postby tuk-tukfish » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:08 pm

Miguelito wrote: I haven't been able to track him down, but if anyone is still in contact please let him know this has been posted.

I haven't seen or even spoken to Flo in a few years but I still have his contact details. I'll let him know.
tuk-tukfish
Impin' Aint Easy

Postby logos » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:21 pm

Iirc he's in Dubai for a French aviation/weapon systems conglomerate
logos
WankPoodle

Previous

Return to Cambodia Speakeasy