SLAA Cambodia

This is a free speech zone where you can discuss and debate everything Cambodia related. Cambodia Speakeasy is Cambodia's leading expat discussion forum.

Re: SLAA Cambodia

Postby TJP777 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:32 pm

Bosco wrote:
Mèo Đen wrote:Deja Vu we have been through this before http://www.khmer440.com/chat_forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30745&hilit=sex+addiction

I don't think it's the same crowd. The first ones were 'a group of Christians' whereas this latest incarnation of people who want to kill your sex life appear to be sectarian (at least on their website).

Appearances can be deceptive. All 12 step programs are faith based. They all owe there origins to the Oxford group - a christian evangelical movement founded in the 1920s. The founding members of the original 12 step programme (AA) were members of the Oxford group. To effectively work a 12 step programme you must have a belief in a higher power that is omnipotent, omnipresent and omnipotent. You must surrender to this higher power and believe that through doing so this higher power will perform a daily miracle of protecting you from a disease for which there is no cure.

There is a good reason why there website doesn't spell this out to you - because if they did almost all people would run a mile from this irrational hocus-pocus mumbo-jumbo. Also the AA big book explicitly advises members not to mention the religious focus of the organisation when recruiting new members for fear of frightening them away before they can be convinced to attend a meeting where group psychology can overtake their better judgement. In short it is a cult like organisation.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
― Christopher Hitchens
TJP777
I have some social problems

Postby SLAA_Cambodia » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:52 pm

People are free to look up 12 Step programs and see how they work, there's no big secret.
But to help clear up any misconceptions and innuendo from the post above our friends at Wikipedia helpfully have this summary of the process:

"As summarized by the American Psychological Association, the process involves the following:
- admitting that one cannot control one's addiction or compulsion;
- recognizing a higher power that can give strength;
- examining past errors with the help of a sponsor (experienced member);
- making amends for these errors;
- learning to live a new life with a new code of behavior;
- helping others who suffer from the same addictions or compulsions"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-step_program

That's hardly a "religious focus". There is certainly a spiritual focus yes, and that is open to an individual's interpretation.
Contrary to your interpretation above, in fact the AA big book explicitly advises members to "Stress the spiritual feature freely" when talking to a new person. What they say not to do is to is to bring your own personal religious convictions (should you have any) into a discussion with a new person.

If a person doesn't need help, then good on them and more power to them.
But to assert without evidence (ironic, as I see from your signature) that something that patently does work for others is "cult like" is a real stretch of the conspiracy theorist in you.
Calling AA or any other 12 Step program "cult like" is quite a ridiculous ad hominen.
This like saying that because you personally don't believe in chemotherapy as a treatment for cancer then it doesn't, can't or won't work and anyone who has had, or freely chooses to take a course of chemo is a member of some strange belief system...
SLAA_Cambodia
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby OrangeDragon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:58 pm

Seriously curious... what do you do for a true Atheist who has no belief in a higher power? Are they just left out of seeking group help for their addiction?
Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.
Robert H. Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette
OrangeDragon
KeepingItScobienz

Postby andyinasia » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:08 pm

So if I join your Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous group, does that make me a SLAAG?

Or to address OD point, is the deity called the Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous god - Slaag?

:rimshot:
I came, I argued, I'm out
andyinasia
20,000 Posts; I need professional help !

Postby OrangeDragon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:10 pm

andyinasia wrote:So if I join your Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous group, does that make me a SLAAG?

I'm pretty sure that's not what did it. ;-)
Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.
OrangeDragon
KeepingItScobienz

Postby SLAA_Cambodia » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:24 pm

OrangeDragon wrote:Seriously curious... what do you do for a true Atheist who has no belief in a higher power? Are they just left out of seeking group help for their addiction?

This is actually a fairly common question.
Whether you are an Atheist or religious each individual is free to choose their own concept of a higher power. Now, that is what it is for different people.
There is no deity to be worshipped or anything like that. If an individual chooses their traditional religious conception as a higher power then fine for them - if someone else chooses a tree or a tuk-tuk as theirs then good for them too. Who am I to criticise their choice of something in their head?

In practical terms it doesn't matter.
Essentially the point of the higher power concept is to stop thinking of yourself as the centre of the universe all the time. Which in my experience is not necessarily easy to do and why people have an issue with it.

Personally I know Agnostics, Atheists, Christians, Muslims, Buddhists and Hindus who've found recovery from 12 step programs - it's not reasonable or possible that they are all believing in the same concept of a higher power newly received from their 12 step group. Sure, some may have new ideas, others will keep their old ideas or renewed concepts, but nothing is forced upon anyone whether religious or not.

Basically, if you are an Atheist and happy about it then you are free to be an Atheist - no one is going to try and change your mind.
It is not a barrier to recovery.
8-)
SLAA_Cambodia

Postby xtreme » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:27 pm

SLAA_Cambodia wrote:
Calling AA or any other 12 Step program "cult like" is quite a ridiculous ad hominen.
This like saying that because you personally don't believe in chemotherapy as a treatment for cancer then it doesn't, can't or won't work and anyone who has had, or freely chooses to take a course of chemo is a member of some strange belief system...

Perhaps I still need to research this topic but maybe people who think chemotherapy is an effective cure for cancer are the cultish ones. The majority is not always right.
Last edited by xtreme on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xtreme
I have some social problems

Postby OrangeDragon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:29 pm

What about a Solipsist?
OrangeDragon
KeepingItScobienz

Postby andyinasia » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:38 pm

OrangeDragon wrote:What about a Solipsist?

Are you talking to yourself again? :-)
I came, I argued, I'm out
andyinasia
20,000 Posts; I need professional help !

Postby SLAA_Cambodia » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:38 pm

Can an old dog learn new tricks?
SLAA_Cambodia

Postby OrangeDragon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:33 am

andyinasia wrote:

Are you talking to yourself again? :-)

Who? Me.
OrangeDragon
KeepingItScobienz

Postby electron » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:37 am

Essentially the point of the higher power concept is to stop thinking of yourself as the centre of the universe all the time.

An easy enough concept to grasp I would have thought?

As a conversational aside, I googled "imbecile" to confirm my understanding that the word had an emphasis on "naive", "child-like", "simplistic", etc, above merely, um, "obtuse", and I stumbled on the medical definitions for Moron (IQ 51-71), imbecile (IQ 26-50), and Idiot (IQ 0-20).
Understanding what an IQ of 0 even means is beyond my limited intellectual grasp.
electron
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Postby OrangeDragon » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:42 am

Google what the word Solipsist means next... you'll see they're, by definition, excluded.
OrangeDragon
KeepingItScobienz

Postby electron » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:48 am

Orange Dragon wrote:Google what the word Solipsist means next... you'll see they're, by definition, excluded.

indeed.
electron
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Postby curious person » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:15 am

keeping_it_riel wrote:Before we go any further, the OP has made a serious post so if you feel he need to respond, keep your replies serious also. No smart ass stuff or trolling, thanks.
curious person

PreviousNext

Return to Cambodia Speakeasy