• Advertisement
Karcher

SLAA Cambodia

This is a free speech zone where you can discuss and debate everything Cambodia related. Cambodia Speakeasy is Cambodia's leading expat discussion forum.

Re: SLAA Cambodia

Postby SLAA_Cambodia » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:30 pm

0zirC wrote:
SLAA_Cambodia wrote:

I don't think it's the same crowd. The first ones were 'a group of Christians' whereas this latest incarnation of people who want to kill your sex life appear to be sectarian (at least on their website).

Correct,there is no affiliation between SLAA and the other group that was referred to.

But there's no denial of the latter charges?[/quote]

Highlighted for drama?
I appreciate it that you visited the website and informed yourself but your blanket generalisation is well wide of the mark.
It's not about killing anyone's sex life. There are no absolutes like that as everyone is different as are their patterns of behaviour.
SLAA_Cambodia
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby 0zirC » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:34 pm

[email protected] wrote:
0zirC wrote:
[email protected] wrote:I can understand the need for support groups for people with dangerous, body-ravaging addictions such as alcohol or drugs that badly affect the lives of themselves and those around them. But if you're addicted to something that's fun, healthy and doesn't cause anyone any harm, then what's the problem?

And the desired outcome of drug and alcohol 12 step programs is abstinence and sobriety; if the outcome here is abstinence from sex and love then please, please kill me now. I'd be half tempted to attend one of the meetings just to laugh at all the pussies that show up.

Gonorrhea isn't fun (it's such an ugly word). Chlamydia (nice sounding) isn't all too healthy either. Then there's crabs, genital warts, and so on. The more serious stuff...HIV.

Sex education is lacking in Cambodia. Certain (s)expats also seem to require "refresher" lessons.

Correct me if i'm wrong...

You're wrong. This group has nothing to do with sex education.

HA, ha, ha :?:
Fiberglass Statues, 3-D Figures/Figurines, Advertising Solutions, Interior Decorations. E-mail: [email protected]
0zirC
K440 Defender of the Faith

Postby vladimir » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:36 pm

[email protected] wrote:
vladimir wrote:I vaguely remember a movie about a guy who was addicted to sex...anybody?

Made in the late 80s or early 90s iirc.

Ron Jeremy's Anal Adventure 3?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jesus, trust me to ask a serious question on 440!
If you swim in the sewer, don't be surprised when you encounter turds. Or accountants..oh, wait I already...
vladimir
Feminist Watch List

Postby 0zirC » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:37 pm

SLAA_Cambodia wrote:
0zirC wrote:
SLAA_Cambodia wrote:

I don't think it's the same crowd. The first ones were 'a group of Christians' whereas this latest incarnation of people who want to kill your sex life appear to be sectarian (at least on their website).

Correct,there is no affiliation between SLAA and the other group that was referred to.

But there's no denial of the latter charges?

Highlighted for drama?
I appreciate it that you visited the website and informed yourself but your blanket generalisation is well wide of the mark.
It's not about killing anyone's sex life. There are no absolutes like that as everyone is different as are their patterns of behaviour.[/quote]

I just wanted affirmation as Bosco placed a notion of reluctance to believe in your program, as a Christian group (previously stated) weren't overly popular in the past. Good luck with it all. I may...MAY come. Gotta go with Cambod though.
Fiberglass Statues, 3-D Figures/Figurines, Advertising Solutions, Interior Decorations. E-mail: [email protected]
0zirC

Postby SLAA_Cambodia » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:39 pm

Apologies to posters for the rubbish quoting efforts thus far.
SLAA_Cambodia

Postby [email protected] » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:41 pm

I've had sex three times this afternoon. I think I need help.
My wrist is killing me.
No longer working at the S.D Holiday Hotel...
[email protected]
I need professional help

Postby scoffer » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:53 pm

[email protected] wrote:I've had sex three times this afternoon. I think I need help.
My wrist is killing me.

No one doubts this at all Burl.
In fact I'm surprised that you felt the need to even post about such a common event ?
I refuse to go out with nothing more than a whimper followed by a small farting sound and a shit stain on my bed sheets..
Just thought I'd share that with you.
scoffer
Tech Ninja / Kangaroo Baiter

Postby SLAA_Cambodia » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Given that reputation I'd suggest a physio for your wrist.
:axe:
SLAA_Cambodia

Postby OrangeDragon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:57 pm

bet it's a great place to meet chicks that put out.
Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.
Robert H. Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette
OrangeDragon
KeepingItScobienz

Postby 0zirC » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:02 pm

OrangeDragon wrote:bet it's a great place to meet chicks that put out.

Bet it's all just men. Horny, Sweaty, Beer Guzzling, Odourous Men.

I'm serious on that bet!
0zirC

Postby SLAA_Cambodia » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:01 pm

A fairly common misconception - but no, it is not a pickup joint.
SLAA_Cambodia

Postby SLAA_Cambodia » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:07 pm

0zirC wrote:

Bet it's all just men. Horny, Sweaty, Beer Guzzling, Odourous Men.

I'm serious on that bet!

It is a little unfair to extrapolate one's own personal characteristics onto others ;) but you are correct that it is all men.
SLAA_Cambodia

Postby TJP777 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:32 pm

Bosco wrote:
Mèo Đen wrote:Deja Vu we have been through this before http://www.khmer440.com/chat_forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30745&hilit=sex+addiction

Appearances can be deceptive. All 12 step programs are faith based. They all owe there origins to the Oxford group - a christian evangelical movement founded in the 1920s. The founding members of the original 12 step programme (AA) were members of the Oxford group. To effectively work a 12 step programme you must have a belief in a higher power that is omnipotent, omnipresent and omnipotent. You must surrender to this higher power and believe that through doing so this higher power will perform a daily miracle of protecting you from a disease for which there is no cure.

There is a good reason why there website doesn't spell this out to you - because if they did almost all people would run a mile from this irrational hocus-pocus mumbo-jumbo. Also the AA big book explicitly advises members not to mention the religious focus of the organisation when recruiting new members for fear of frightening them away before they can be convinced to attend a meeting where group psychology can overtake their better judgement. In short it is a cult like organisation.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
― Christopher Hitchens
TJP777
I have some social problems

Postby SLAA_Cambodia » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:52 pm

People are free to look up 12 Step programs and see how they work, there's no big secret.
But to help clear up any misconceptions and innuendo from the post above our friends at Wikipedia helpfully have this summary of the process:

"As summarized by the American Psychological Association, the process involves the following:
- admitting that one cannot control one's addiction or compulsion;
- recognizing a higher power that can give strength;
- examining past errors with the help of a sponsor (experienced member);
- making amends for these errors;
- learning to live a new life with a new code of behavior;
- helping others who suffer from the same addictions or compulsions"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-step_program

That's hardly a "religious focus". There is certainly a spiritual focus yes, and that is open to an individual's interpretation.
Contrary to your interpretation above, in fact the AA big book explicitly advises members to "Stress the spiritual feature freely" when talking to a new person. What they say not to do is to is to bring your own personal religious convictions (should you have any) into a discussion with a new person.

If a person doesn't need help, then good on them and more power to them.
But to assert without evidence (ironic, as I see from your signature) that something that patently does work for others is "cult like" is a real stretch of the conspiracy theorist in you.
Calling AA or any other 12 Step program "cult like" is quite a ridiculous ad hominen.
This like saying that because you personally don't believe in chemotherapy as a treatment for cancer then it doesn't, can't or won't work and anyone who has had, or freely chooses to take a course of chemo is a member of some strange belief system...
SLAA_Cambodia

Postby OrangeDragon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:58 pm

Seriously curious... what do you do for a true Atheist who has no belief in a higher power? Are they just left out of seeking group help for their addiction?
Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.
Robert H. Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette
OrangeDragon
KeepingItScobienz

Next

Return to Cambodia Speakeasy