American expat Eric Erdmann arrested in Phnom Penh

This is a free speech zone where you can discuss and debate everything Cambodia related. Cambodia Speakeasy is Cambodia's leading expat discussion forum.

Re: American Eric Erdman arrested in Phnom Penh on visa charges - Khmer media report it as child sex offence arrest

Postby scoffer » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:01 pm

What I'm finding somewhat strange is that a guy has been accused of a crime he did not commit.
And is now being judged by his ability / inability to defend himself.

It's like lets just find a random guy in the street and accuse him of XXX
And FFS, he happens to have a bit of history, lets get some mileage on his past errors in life.
Lets just chase him down and devour him over something that has nothing to do with the original topic.

Up to you.
However I see something wrong in this,.
I refuse to go out with nothing more than a whimper followed by a small farting sound and a shit stain on my bed sheets..
Just thought I'd share that with you.
User avatar
scoffer
TechNinja
 
Posts: 7212
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:01 pm

Re: American Eric Erdman arrested in Phnom Penh on visa charges - Khmer media report it as child sex offence arrest

Postby vladimir » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:35 pm

LTO wrote:If I were him, I'd call the Daily, demand a printed correction, and if they print one, call it good enough and leave it at that. If not, then perhaps consider this other option, which I think runs as great a chance of digging him another hole as clearing his name. Or even better, don't talk to reporters, get legal representation, let him do the talking and sue the Daily.


If it were me, I'd be at DFDL first thing Monday morning, this has the potential to be a big one. And the US Embassy is also liable to some extent. Thye fucke dup big time an dthen, if what I read is true, abandoned him to his fate. gavinmac? You did a previous article on the guy who got murdered, the guy who had applied for a travel document, iirc he had come here from Thailand and there was some kind of bad drug deal.

If he gets it right, he'll never have to teach again, and it could be the best thing that happened to him. In fact, he might be playing this exactly right, let people put themselves in the wrong by omission, and just make his suit stronger.
When Wobby Wombler realised he didn't have the charisma to become an undertaker, he knew his destiny was in Accounting.
User avatar
vladimir
Feminist Watch List
 
Posts: 31841
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:43 am
Location: North Korea

Re: American Eric Erdman arrested in Phnom Penh on visa charges - Khmer media report it as child sex offence arrest

Postby gavinmac » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:13 pm

You'd be at DFDL Monday morning, then they would tell you their billing rates, and you would leave.

I'm not suggesting their rates are unreasonably high.

The embassy worked with local authorities to arrest someone for a valid charge, visa overstay, pretextual though it may have been to find out if he was a serious criminal. That's one way cops catch bad guys. It doesn't offend me. The cops and embassy determined he wasn't who they thought he might be, they let him go.

The Khmer cops screwed up by telling the press they caught a 44 year old sex offender. The press screwed up by reporting it. I know it's sexier to blame the embassy but they are not primarily at fault here.

The embassy probably knew him kight not be the guy before he was arrested but figured what's the harm in working with local police to arrest one of our citizens on a valid visa charge so we can get a better look at him and his documents and see if he's a pedophile with the same name

I guess this is the harm right here. I'd argue it was unforseeable it would blow up like this. I might lose that argument.
Last edited by gavinmac on Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
User avatar
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003
 
Posts: 17816
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:15 pm

Re: American Eric Erdman arrested in Phnom Penh on visa charges - Khmer media report it as child sex offence arrest

Postby Garry Crabtree » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:21 pm

^That’s the thing I don’t get. How did they determine he wasn't who they thought he was? Eric said they didn't ask him any question, and they already had seen his passport so would have known beforehand the names and ages don’t match.
My posts are just jokes, not my opinion, viewpoint, idea, or judgement.
User avatar
Garry Crabtree
Twatflannel First Class
 
Posts: 2835
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:05 pm

Re: American Eric Erdman arrested in Phnom Penh on visa charges - Khmer media report it as child sex offence arrest

Postby gavinmac » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:26 pm

They probably asked Eric a bunch of identifying questions and he was too thick to realize it. I think they probably wanted to see his face and his passport and compared the dude in front of them to the file they had on the two Erdmans.
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
User avatar
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003
 
Posts: 17816
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:15 pm

Re: American Eric Erdman arrested in Phnom Penh on visa charges - Khmer media report it as child sex offence arrest

Postby sniper_m4 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:30 pm

Just so you know. Someone from the Khmer Times contacted my wife to ask me for an interview to "get things straight". However my wife and her family will not allow me to talk to the media even though I am willing to answer some questions as long as they are civil. I understand her position. She nor her family deserves this and they want the news finished. My wife takes good care if me so I will follow her wishes. I am a big boy I can handle the storm and I will feel even worse if she or her family is more exposed to this. Im just going to let this pass. Cambodia Daily is an unprofesional media writing a story based off of no facts and my facebook page which isnt even up to date. Even if someone was wanted for a sex crime that does not make them a pedophile and calling someone that is complete unprofessional reporting and they should be ashamed of themselves.
sniper_m4
I've got nothing better to do
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:34 pm

Re: American Eric Erdman arrested in Phnom Penh on visa charges - Khmer media report it as child sex offence arrest

Postby prahocalypse now » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:37 pm

epidemiks wrote:
Miguelito wrote:
gavinmac wrote:Do we think he'll be deported?

1. Expired visa
2. Passport may or may not be expired (he's inconsistent on that)
3. He has (incorrectly) been identified by police as a pedo, which tends to freak people out
4. Authorities have publicly said they will deport him soon
5. He admittedly has theft convcitions and a warrant for his arrest on a minor charge from Illinois
6. He posted photos on Facebook humping Angkor Wat griffins and shit
7. His continued presence in Cambodia serves as a constant reminder of the police incompetence


And don't forget he's been working without a work permit (presuming you can't have a work permit without a visa).

gavinmac wrote:By the way, on the issue of "Will Eric Erdmann's school allow him back in the classroom?" let's not forget that it's undisputed he;s been publicly arrested AT LEAST for not having a valid visa. Also, he has admitted on this site that he has two prior theft convictions and suggests that he's a fugitive with a warrant from Illinois on a DUI/driving on a suspended license sort of thing. Stuff he should have kept his mouth shut about.

If schools have job applications and ask you about your criminal history and he didn't disclose that stuff, well, that would be a reason to terminate his employment regardless of the "suspected pedophile" cloud of suspicion.


He's gotten the K440 approval of "top bloke," but seeing as he couldn't articulate his innocence (or pretty anything well) on here, I wouldn't want him to be the guy teaching my kids.


Couldn't articulate his innocence? Of being a different person to the one wanted on pedophile charges, or of having some old warrant for speeding?

He said himself his criminal record is easily available, and it would most certainly be solely responsibility of panasastra to ask to see his criminal record check. If they didn't, that says more about them than it does about him.

I'd also suggest that work permits and visas can expire independently of each other. Again, panasastra responsible for renewing this for him while he is employed with them.

Sure, he's not the most eloquent sounding guy, but given the circumstances I'm willing to cut him some slack if he's not channelling Hemingway right now.

What does he teach anyway?


I am fairly sure that job applicants at Pannasastra have to fill in a form that asks them to declare any criminal history. Something to note about the English language program at Pannasastra is that the barangs don't only teach university students. They have a general English program, and many of the students are of high school age. They go and study at Pannasastra after school. For those with children in their early teens, how would you feel about someone with sniper's criminal background and ethics teaching your kids?
User avatar
prahocalypse now
Damn, I just saw my Internet Bill !
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: American Eric Erdman arrested in Phnom Penh on visa charges - Khmer media report it as child sex offence arrest

Postby violet » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:42 pm

DELETED
Last edited by violet on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
___________________________
"Make your mistakes, take your chances, look silly, but keep on going. Don’t freeze up.”
User avatar
violet
Suspicious Little Mad Woman
 
Posts: 12174
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Not there.

Re: American Eric Erdman arrested in Phnom Penh on visa charges - Khmer media report it as child sex offence arrest

Postby gavinmac » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:44 pm

You're not a "big boy" if you let your wife decide whether you talk to English language press about coverage of you. I understand why she doesn't want to "allow" you to talk to the Khmer Times but she's making the wrong decision and you are too.

The Khmer Times is your best friend here. They would love to show that the Daily got this wrong.

You don't want the Daily article to be the only online report about this. People will see that whenever they Google your name for the rest of your life. They will read it and conclude you are a pedophile. Without a contrary article out there explaining the mistaken ID, you will have a hard time convincing anyone of this year's from now.
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
User avatar
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003
 
Posts: 17816
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:15 pm

Re: American Eric Erdman arrested in Phnom Penh on visa charges - Khmer media report it as child sex offence arrest

Postby batshitcrazyweirdo4 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:44 pm

Not to knock either side.

Eric, why do you not answer direct questions? You say you are a key board warrior because of your leg, but I ask ... is your US passport renewed? Do you have dual citizenship? Are you evading direct questions because you may have some pending stuff you didn't say one word about?

Just askin. I'm harmless.
batshitcrazyweirdo4
440 newbie - handle with care
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: American Eric Erdman arrested in Phnom Penh on visa charges - Khmer media report it as child sex offence arrest

Postby sniper_m4 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:50 pm

BTW I do not work at PUC. I quit 6 months ago with issues with the idiot managment. Another fact the media got wrong from pulling outdated info from my facebook. I have no job to get fired from. I do not have to report my past theft convictions on an application and I never did in the US. They are not felonies and only my buisness. I have never been barred employment because of them in fact I think they are removed from public record but not sure.
After this has calmed down. I will go to the media armed with legit documentation to prove it was false and set the story straight. Right now its my word against theirs.
Last edited by sniper_m4 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sniper_m4
I've got nothing better to do
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:34 pm

Re: American Eric Erdman arrested in Phnom Penh on visa charges - Khmer media report it as child sex offence arrest

Postby gavinmac » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:53 pm

They are not only your business now, since you've been foolishly blabbing about them in a public online discussion with your real name in the title that will exist on the Internet in perpetuity.
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
User avatar
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003
 
Posts: 17816
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:15 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Cambodia Speakeasy




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Alexandra, BillyB, bonnetdedouche, cptrelentless, DonCalzone, JimSocks, Joon, kansaicanuck, Miguelito, nabanga, pedros, ppv, Spigzy, usernameavailable, walkjivefly, YaTingPom and 317 guests