Reports of major change to visa laws imminent

This is a free speech zone where you can discuss and debate everything Cambodia related. Cambodia Speakeasy is Cambodia's leading expat discussion forum.

Postby scobienz » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:12 pm

Nathan Thompson is reporting on Twitter that the Cambodian government will no longer issue long-term visas without you holding a work permit, effective 1 September. By long-term visas, I assume he means 6mth and 12mth Extensions of Stay.

I'm not sure what his source is, but Nathan is the head of the Overseas Press Club in Cambodia; I wouldn't dismiss it as scuttlebutt just yet.

If true, it's not a surprising development but it will obviously impact many many expats, including not a few posters here.

https://twitter.com/NathanWrites
"Sheffield, where I changed / And ate an awful pie."
scobienz
Twat Flannel

Re: Reports of major change to visa laws imminent

Postby Londo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:15 pm

scobienz wrote:If true, it's not a surprising development but it will obviously impact many many expats, including not a few posters here.

It will affect those like me who had planned to be there at the end of the year, I guess. I hope a work permit provider cottage industry develops.

What is deemed long-term?
Last edited by Londo on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That was probably Londo...He is always shitty." - Marvin
Londo
Bark plop plop bark woof woof

Postby scobienz » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:18 pm

Londo wrote:
scobienz wrote:If true, it's not a surprising development but it will obviously impact many many expats, including not a few posters here.

It will affect those like me who had planned to be there at the end of the year I, guess. I hope a work permit provider cottage industry develops.

What is deemed long-term?

I assume it means the current six and twelve month extensions of stay which are as easy to get as walking up to Lucky Lucky and banging some cash down on the table. I've changed OP accordingly.
scobienz
Twat Flannel

Postby Edwardo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:19 pm

Not the first time we've heard this type of report, but it was bound to happen eventually, after all these years of speculation and haphazard enforcement. Hopefully the visa reforms will include a genuine retirement visa option for those here with families, and not just for age 65 and over. If it's true this time, there will surely be some understandable panic.
'Cuz some is rich, and some is poor, and that's the way the world is.
Edwardo
I Am Losing It All to the Internet

Postby DF » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:22 pm

Just another form of tax, which is so low anyway compared to what we're used to. Anyone can get a work permit, so shouldn't really cause harm.
DF
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Postby violet » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:25 pm

Other than extending only for three months, I wonder what the best course of action is for a person whose work permit ends in December and whose EOS ends in January. ...meaning, I wonder if the EOS would be extended for six or twelve months when the wp is about to expire.

Wondering out loud.
Few words have made me weep more than learning of, and understanding, these:
When you go home, tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, we gave our today.
violet
Suspicious Little Mad Woman

Postby gavinmac » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:25 pm

I was just reading about this on FB. Some travel agents are telling people no 6-12 month extensions without work permit, or no extensions after September x without work permit, or something like that.
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003

Postby Miguelito » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:27 pm

I've heard this from a few sources as well, including a local law firm, and a random email from someone I don't know:

"Dear customer.
Please be advised I just get information from Police immigration visa announcement. Now can not get or extend business visas without work permits. Now retirement visas available. For more information contact me."

I heard a prakas will be issued next week.
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby DF » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:28 pm

gavinmac wrote:I was just reading about this on FB. Some travel agents are telling people no 6-12 month extensions without work permit, or no extensions after September x without work permit, or something like that.

Any which way to put more money in their pockets, which are pretty deep.
DF
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Postby Loogan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:35 pm

What are the general rules for retirement visa-amount of income savings etc? And does that include a spouse? As in does a retirement visa make accommodations for a spouse?
We Will Rock You
Loogan
I live above an internet cafe

Postby RobW » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:46 pm

Looks like I'll be Billy no Mates in 172 then. :-(
RobW
Kilt Fluffer

Postby ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:47 pm

DF wrote:
gavinmac wrote:I was just reading about this on FB. Some travel agents are telling people no 6-12 month extensions without work permit, or no extensions after September x without work permit, or something like that.

Any which way to put more money in their pockets, which are pretty deep.

Is it really an unreasonable requirement?
It seems logical to me.

The only unreasonable part of it is the vagueness of requirements (IMO).

Compare to the UK visas. It can cost £89 - £700 just to apply for a visa - with no guarantee of success. That doesn't including the cost of document prep and interview costs.
It's much more if you are going to work.
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ
I Am Losing It All to the Internet

Postby violet » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:58 pm

More wondering

I wonder what the chances are that a foreigner will be required to show medical/health insurance in order to get work permit in future
Few words have made me weep more than learning of, and understanding, these:
When you go home, tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, we gave our today.
violet
Suspicious Little Mad Woman

Postby GMJS-440 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:00 pm

Finally! This has been in the works for far too long. Should clean some trash out.
"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach English."
Credit Jacked Camry & LTO
GMJS-440
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates

Postby scobienz » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:05 pm

Yup. I'm hearing all the usual agents have been informed of this change and they are accepting renewals up to 31 August but anything after that date will require WP.

I'd be interested to hear from DF how easy it is to get a work permit without a job. Sounds like bollocks to me.
scobienz
Twat Flannel

Next

Return to Cambodia Speakeasy