Page 6 of 18

Re: Lights out for The Post?

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:20 pm
by Miguelito
I hope they release the 2018 Cheap Eats Guide before they close...

Re: Lights out for The Post?

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:27 pm
by ReasonstobefearfulP3
What is "tax on Income" @ 20%?

& how much does a English PPP newspaper sell for?

The whole 'donation vs capital' thing seems a little harsh too. Seems like incompetence rather than evasion

Re: Lights out for The Post?

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:44 pm
by Playboy
ReasonstobefearfulP3 wrote:What is "tax on Income" @ 20%?

& how much does a English PPP newspaper sell for?

The whole 'donation vs capital' thing seems a little harsh too. Seems like incompetence rather than evasion
Unless they are trying to mask evasion as incompetence, trying to get away with a larger offence by copping to a lesser one.

Sent from my SM-G928C using Tapatalk

Re: Lights out for The Post?

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:48 pm
by ReasonstobefearfulP3
Playboy wrote:
ReasonstobefearfulP3 wrote:What is "tax on Income" @ 20%?

& how much does a English PPP newspaper sell for?

The whole 'donation vs capital' thing seems a little harsh too. Seems like incompetence rather than evasion
Unless they are trying to mask evasion as incompetence, trying to get away with a larger offence by copping to a lesser one.
True, but most companies are in the business of understating their sales. Seems strange that this one would choose to inflate them by $2.5m

Re: Lights out for The Post?

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:19 pm
by Lucky Lucan
I doubt very much they've ever done much more than broken even. It was a fortnightly edition for most of its existence and in the absence of any other competition other than the Daily, it probably sold out most runs. Then it went semi-daily and the online edition came out shortly afterwards. I used to buy the print edition regularly but with the vastly improved internet/ WiFi here I rarely do anymore. I'll pick up a copy in a restaurant and read it if I haven't already. So they must get a certain amount of revenue from advertisements but I'd imagine it's still a tight ship.

Re: Lights out for The Post?

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:56 am
by fotojourn
Playboy wrote:
ReasonstobefearfulP3 wrote:What is "tax on Income" @ 20%?

& how much does a English PPP newspaper sell for?

The whole 'donation vs capital' thing seems a little harsh too. Seems like incompetence rather than evasion
Unless they are trying to mask evasion as incompetence, trying to get away with a larger offence by copping to a lesser one.

Sent from my SM-G928C using Tapatalk
It's not incompetence. It's tax evasion. The money was never entered onto the company books, according to the tax department letter, and was only found when the bank statements were audited.

Bill Clough has sent large amounts of money to Cambodia before to prop up the Post and on each occasion that money was brought onto the books and his equity level increased. He's very familiar with the rules of increasing capital, so Marcus Holmes' claims about "complex rules" are total bollocks. The past top up funds and increasing equity form part of Chris Dawes' claim. Chris' "package" meant that he effectively worked unpaid for three years due to his equity being diminished by these payments, so it is claimed.

Re: Lights out for The Post?

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:15 am
by cyclingqueen
Alexandra wrote:According to a Twitter user who claims to be senior Post staff the Post has been sold and Bill Clough is trying to kill the paper. The same Twitter user leaked sensitive documents to AEC essentially silencing Marcus Holmes in public.

The user claims the paper will change hands on 30th April.

#stomptheclough #draintheswamp

Image
What does Point 2 even mean? Doug Steele is still in Cambodia

Re: Lights out for The Post?

Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:44 am
by Alexandra
The Post’s website is down. Is it dead?

Re: Lights out for The Post?

Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:54 am
by Miguelito
Alexandra wrote:The Post’s website is down. Is it dead?
I did get my daily email from them at 8:49 AM today. Looked like quite the political issue today.

I got the same result trying to access their page as it looked when we were undergoing our DDoS attack.

Re: Lights out for The Post?

Posted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:08 pm
by cyclingqueen
Alexandra wrote:The Post’s website is down. Is it dead?
Works on my computer

Re: Lights out for The Post?

Posted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:17 pm
by fotojourn
And it just keeps getting messier and grubbier.

Email suggests 'major backer' promised to help win $344,000 case against Cambodian newspaper http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-0 ... fmredir=sm

And still the Post hasn't answered why, if Dawe did all of these things leading to his dismissal with cause, they didn't file criminal charges against him at the time of his dismissal even if just to have that complaint on record as having been filed.

Re: Lights out for The Post?

Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:42 am
by gavinmac
fotojourn wrote: And still the Post hasn't answered why, if Dawe did all of these things leading to his dismissal with cause, they didn't file criminal charges against him at the time of his dismissal even if just to have that complaint on record as having been filed.
It's a fair question, but I think you're overly obsessed with that. A lot of companies don't call the police when they uncover misconduct by executives that may be criminal. They just try to to resolve the matter internally. This is probably especially the case when it's a Western company operating in a country that has no effective rule of law.

The bigger issue here is the allegation that the Cambodian regime is using Dawe as a pawn to shut down the Post by having regime-aligned agents backing the lawsuit and influencing the courts.

Re: Lights out for The Post?

Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:05 am
by khmerhit
this thred be giving me a chhu--kbaal thom thom. What is a
Roosevelt Corollary
?? :?: :help: :shock:

Re: Lights out for The Post?

Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:06 am
by Playboy
khmerhit wrote:this thred be giving me a chhu--kbaal thom thom. What is a
Roosevelt Corollary
?? :?: :help: :shock:
Is it similar to a JFK Headache ? Image

Sent from my SM-G928C using Tapatalk

Re: Lights out for The Post?

Posted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:01 am
by fotojourn
gavinmac wrote:
fotojourn wrote: And still the Post hasn't answered why, if Dawe did all of these things leading to his dismissal with cause, they didn't file criminal charges against him at the time of his dismissal even if just to have that complaint on record as having been filed.
It's a fair question, but I think you're overly obsessed with that. A lot of companies don't call the police when they uncover misconduct by executives that may be criminal. They just try to to resolve the matter internally. This is probably especially the case when it's a Western company operating in a country that has no effective rule of law.

The bigger issue here is the allegation that the Cambodian regime is using Dawe as a pawn to shut down the Post by having regime-aligned agents backing the lawsuit and influencing the courts.
Allegations? From an unsubstantiated, unconfirmed, non-displayed email? We had those accusations on April 5. We asked Holmes to substantiate his accusations. He refused to. We refused to attack the victim with accusations that have never been raised prior to when the bailiffs went to enforce his judgment.

Dawe said the email wasn't his. Where is there anything to counter that? Or that it exists? We exhibited all of the material we relied on.

Failing to file a police or civil claim against Dawe if he had done what has been claimed would amount to appalling corporate governance and would say a lot about the way the Post is managed. First rule of business. CYA (cover your ass). No paper, pay later. Dawe filed suit for unfair dismissal, breach of contract, whatever. Where is the counter claim?

Sorry, but to me these accusations lack any semblance of credibility.