Knives above sleeping childrens’ heads

This is a free speech zone where you can discuss and debate everything Cambodia related. Cambodia Speakeasy is Cambodia's leading expat discussion forum.

Re: Knives above sleeping childrens’ heads

Postby Playboy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:32 pm

spitthedog wrote:Yeah, don't tink too mut man. Well, at least not until the kid stabs himself or sumting, but then you can follow certain other procedures. Like burying the little bugger in sand etc..
Burying them in sand is for lightning strikes and general electrocution. Shaking them vigorously is for unconscious people or head injuries. Tiger balm is for everything else, especially when used in conjunction with coining.
"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
Playboy
Play[ing hard to get]boy

Re: Cambodian cultural things for children

Postby Alexandra » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:27 pm

gavinmac wrote:What the fuck? Can we get a thread on this? It's bad enough the have newborns wearing necklaces and sleeping with stuffed animals and pillows and shit. Knives?

Do Western fathers allow this? I can't imagine any Westerner allowing his infant to sleep with a knife. Except Ricecakes.

Wait until you hear about the part where they pour beer over the newborn baby...
Bless is no more
Alexandra
Penitus In Meus Brain , Universitas Tune

Postby Beaker » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:58 pm

Another BS thing they will do is force the baby to sleep on it's back with pillows or blankets to keep the head in that position. Check out the heads of adults and you will see they are flat because of this. The reason is because if they don't sleep on their backs they will never be rich.
Ι'м тнє σиє ωнσ нαѕ тσ ∂ιє ωнєи ιт'ѕ тιмє fσя мє тσ ∂ιє ѕσ ℓєт мє ℓινє му ℓιfє тнє ωαу Ι ωαит тσ - ʝJιмι Нєи∂яιχ
Beaker
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Postby violet » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:06 pm

Beaker wrote:Another BS thing they will do is force the baby to sleep on it's back with pillows or blankets to keep the head in that position. Check out the heads of adults and you will see they are flat because of this. The reason is because if they don't sleep on their backs they will never be rich.

Yah.... Esp females.
violet
Suspicious Little Mad Woman

Postby Alexandra » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:10 pm

Infants are advised to sleep on their backs until they are at least 6 months old to prevent SIDS. Pillows and knives should be kept outside of bed however.
Bless is no more
Alexandra
Penitus In Meus Brain , Universitas Tune

Postby ali baba » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:54 pm

What's SIDS?
C'mere c'meye
ali baba
"Suit up!"

Postby Gardiguy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:56 pm

ali baba wrote:What's SIDS?
Sudden infant death syndrome
Gardiguy
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Postby Lucky Lucan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:45 pm

Beaker wrote:Another BS thing they will do is force the baby to sleep on it's back with pillows or blankets to keep the head in that position. Check out the heads of adults and you will see they are flat because of this.

I've been checking out the heads of adults and growing children for a long time and haven't noticed too many flat heads. :-?

Looking at the larger view, practices like this are just vestiges of earlier eras when modern medicine wasn't available. Child birth has always been a potentially difficult time so various practices grew up around it. My kid was born in a fairly modern clinic, but the scissors and the paste on the forehead still went on.

The old way was to let the expecting mother give birth on a platform, like those slatted things you see outside every rural home. A fire would be lit underneath, because a birth is a cold time and needs heating up according to traditional beliefs. The smoke and heat could be useful in driving away parasites/ mosquitoes/ ticks etc so it makes some sense, however smothering a new born and mother in smoke and bringing the heat anyway above the normal hot-as-hell ambient temperature seems unhealthy. Nowadays modern metropolitan women don't do that, but they do wear woolly hats after birth, as do the babies.

The knife/ scissors plays an important role in local beliefs, if you have been to a traditional funeral you would have seen the symbolic use of string in Buddhist rites.

Expecting mothers don't drink alcohol, but in the last semester they might prepare some. Using a pestle and mortar a whole range of traditional roots and herbs are prepared and immersed in rice wine. After giving birth, but not too soon as far as I know, they will ease their pains by supping on this.

Mothers are also expected to stay indoors for a month after giving birth, again I can see this as a survival mechanism as they are forced to stay at home by tradition but can forgo work and other duties and concentrate on taking care of the new-born. There is a traditional one-month "birthday" party for new-borns. I put this down to high mortality rates and also the way it coincides with the end of the mother's month of staying indoors.
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby the chicken » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:34 am

This is still a belief by some people coming from some regions esp the older generationsthat it would help to keep the evil spirit away and the baby sleep in peace. Our landlord suggested that with our first new born, we followed her out of politeness. I asked my wife to remove it the second night, I was not worried about the baby getting cut but myself, as I sometime drank too many and tend to roll around in my sleep.
the chicken
I Have Not Been Outside Today

Postby ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:34 pm

the chicken wrote: I was not worried about the baby getting cut but myself, as I sometime drank too many and tend to roll around in my sleep.

Oh good grief.
You really do bring ridicule upon yourself.
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ
Where Did All the People Go?

Postby Kampot Homesteader » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:31 pm

yep.... like Lucky Lucan said, i put my foot down on the smoldering charcoal under our first babies bed.

just had a second son a few months ago and no one tried the fire pit this time but the machete remained.
Kampot Homesteader
I live above an internet cafe

Postby FatherTime » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:10 pm

Baby hasn’t been sleeping the best, so the nanny upgraded it from a steak knife to a paring knife, and added a piece of plastic that I think she said represents blood or something.

FatherTime
I've got nothing better to do

Postby batshitcrazyweirdo » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:14 pm

Beaker wrote:Another BS thing they will do is force the baby to sleep on it's back with pillows or blankets to keep the head in that position. Check out the heads of adults and you will see they are flat because of this. The reason is because if they don't sleep on their backs they will never be rich.

Now that is funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love bitches, n rehabilitate witches.
batshitcrazyweirdo
Batshit Crazy Weirdo

Postby epidemiks » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:32 pm

Some people put a little Jesus on a cross on the wall. Equally useless, but it makes them feel better.
epidemiks
I Love 440 More Than Real Life

Postby batshitcrazyweirdo » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:38 pm

epidemiks wrote:Some people put a little Jesus on a cross on the wall. Equally useless, but it makes them feel better.

#METOO :jesus:
I love bitches, n rehabilitate witches.
batshitcrazyweirdo
Batshit Crazy Weirdo

Previous

Return to Cambodia Speakeasy