Page 1 of 6

Why are you still in Cambodia?

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:36 am
by fantasticplanet
If you teach English there, wages are way down I hear. You could do much better in Vietnam or several other countries in Asia. If you were an NGO trying to help develop the country into a western style/friendly democracy, it ain’t gonna happen. Elections cancelled, and Cambodia is basically just a Chinese colony now. The Chinese have completely cucked the western community in Cambodia.
The first wave of ESL teachers in Japan in 1946 were very high status with high pay. As the country redeveloped after the war, their status got lower and lower. The same pattern has been repeated in country after country. It seems very clear to me that Cambodia is OVER.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Why are you still in Cambodia?

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:49 am
by dan1el
Because I like teaching in Cambodia for low wages, I don't like Vietnam and several other Asian countries, Chinese colonies are cool and elections are for people who vote and I don't so I could not care less.

Re: Why are you still in Cambodia?

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:52 am
by Lucky Lucan
What would you know? You haven't even been here in what, ten years? Why are you still in the US? By all accounts it is fucked, and you're living in some shitty hick state too.

Re: Why are you still in Cambodia?

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:56 am
by McPhisto
Why are you still in Cambodia?
Because I lost my damn passport and can't afford the 12 years if visa overstay fees anyway.

Re: Why are you still in Cambodia?

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:37 am
by Miguelito
fantasticplanet wrote:If you teach English there, wages are way down I hear. You could do much better in Vietnam or several other countries in Asia. If you were an NGO trying to help develop the country into a western style/friendly democracy, it ain’t gonna happen. Elections cancelled, and Cambodia is basically just a Chinese colony now. The Chinese have completely cucked the western community in Cambodia.
The first wave of ESL teachers in Japan in 1946 were very high status with high pay. As the country redeveloped after the war, their status got lower and lower. The same pattern has been repeated in country after country. It seems very clear to me that Cambodia is OVER.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I took all of my friends on Facebook, I'd probably have 100-200 that are expats based in Cambodia (rough estimate, of course). Of that number one is a TEFL (former Peace Corps volunteer that stayed), and the only NGO worker is based in DC and comes here a few times a year. The vast majority are far more interesting, including photographers, lawyers, real estate developers, hospitality professionals, entrepreneurs, nurses, CEOs, video producers, accountants (ok, they're not that interesting), architects, a few retirees, and one Playboy.

You were obviously here before my time, but by the looks of it we're all better off with you gone. Enjoy your uber driving job in the U.S. with your xenophobic world view -- you're welcome to stay there in Trump's America, just don't try to get any health care once your diabetes kicks in.

Re: Why are you still in Cambodia?

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:38 am
by Mèo Đen
fantasticplanet wrote:If you teach English there, wages are way down I hear. You could do much better in Vietnam or several other countries in Asia. If you were an NGO trying to help develop the country into a western style/friendly democracy, it ain’t gonna happen. Elections cancelled, and Cambodia is basically just a Chinese colony now. The Chinese have completely cucked the western community in Cambodia.
The first wave of ESL teachers in Japan in 1946 were very high status with high pay. As the country redeveloped after the war, their status got lower and lower. The same pattern has been repeated in country after country. It seems very clear to me that Cambodia is OVER.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whats this preoccupation with teaching English, I have been here over 20 years and I think I have only come across two or three English teachers the whole time. Concerning NGO's the number is even less. I did know one, a Filipino lady that was running a NGO back in 1996.

What leads you to think Cambodia is over is beyond me, it's streets ahead of what it was like in 1996.

Regarding the question "Why are you still in Cambodia?" Because I like the place, if I didn't i'd go and live somewhere else.

Re: Why are you still in Cambodia?

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:58 am
by Visser
From the perspective of an English teacher I can understand that Cambodia is over.

Re: Why are you still in Cambodia?

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:00 am
by violet
The vast majority are far more interesting
....'cos all TEFLers are boring and have never done anything else in their lives? Wow.
There are some mighty boring non TEFLers here too.

Re: Why are you still in Cambodia?

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:08 am
by pedros
Mèo Đen wrote:
Whats this preoccupation with teaching English, I have been here over 20 years and I think I have only come across two or three English teachers the whole time. Concerning NGO's the number is even less. I did know one, a Filipino lady that was running a NGO back in 1996.

What leads you to think Cambodia is over is beyond me, it's streets ahead of what it was like in 1996.

Regarding the question "Why are you still in Cambodia?" Because I like the place, if I didn't i'd go and live somewhere else.
Nonsense. You used to be a regular drinker at Queeley's, which was stuffed to it's low hanging rafters with English teachers.

Re: Why are you still in Cambodia?

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:16 am
by Miguelito
violet wrote:
The vast majority are far more interesting
....'cos all TEFLers are boring and have never done anything else in their lives? Wow.
There are some mighty boring non TEFLers here too.
Constant talk and worry about work permits, how much rent is going up on $200 apartments, pretty much anything to do with children, and which school does what does bore me. But don't take it personally, it was just a joke Violet. Can we still make fun of TEFLers or are they a protected class now?

Re: Why are you still in Cambodia?

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:24 am
by Alexandra
I'm in Cambodia because I'm ugly and can't score a partner back home so I steadily drink until I die when I'm 57.4 years old. I yell nonsense at Walkabout girls and my favorite phrases are "no" and "one dollar".

Re: Why are you still in Cambodia?

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:33 am
by YaTingPom
I’m here because they won’t let me leave.

Re: Why are you still in Cambodia?

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:36 am
by Mèo Đen
pedros wrote:
Mèo Đen wrote:
Whats this preoccupation with teaching English, I have been here over 20 years and I think I have only come across two or three English teachers the whole time. Concerning NGO's the number is even less. I did know one, a Filipino lady that was running a NGO back in 1996.

What leads you to think Cambodia is over is beyond me, it's streets ahead of what it was like in 1996.

Regarding the question "Why are you still in Cambodia?" Because I like the place, if I didn't i'd go and live somewhere else.
Nonsense. You used to be a regular drinker at Queeley's, which was stuffed to it's low hanging rafters with English teachers.
Perhaps I should have said knew, as far as I remember I only knew Jess and the ex American army guy who taught English. As you say there may have been many English teachers there but I really wasn't aware of them.

Re: Why are you still in Cambodia?

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:41 am
by ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ
violet wrote:
The vast majority are far more interesting
There are some mighty boring non TEFLers here too.
Yep. That’s me!

Re: Why are you still in Cambodia?

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:44 am
by springrain
I'm still looking for evidence of medieval dinosaurs, portals into parallel universes, evidence of ancient cataclysms and the subsequent re-programming of the human race. It's keeping me quite busy.