Page 1 of 9

Business Class: the resistance begins

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:52 pm
by Aseriousman

Moral degeneracy of expat businessmen in the kingdom of Cambodia

Or Business Class: The resistance begins...

First of all, please don't take offense.

Phnom Penh: Over the last 10 years that I have been reading these Cambodian expat fora, I've read a lot about what posters seem to view as moral degeneracy. From NGOs to "teflers", "bottom feeders" to "hipsters", there doesn't seem to be anyone that has escaped the moral degeneracy tag.
EXCEPT businessman, and those who work for foreign companies (that aren't NGOs).

I would like to suggest that they should be included in the moral degeneracy trope, along with all the rest. In fact, that they should be put at the very top of the list, as the glace cherry tops a trifle. Although some of the people in all the expat trope groupings are undoubtedly morally degenerate, my targeted group contain a greater percentage of the morally reprehensible and defunct.

I intend to prove my point quite simply right here, right now, and I dare anyone to contest it. Although, I know you won't be able to, so I'm not expecting any responses. Not sensible ones anyway.

The fact of the matter is that this, my targeted group, although earning very good income with perks which provide them with moral choices, continue to back an extremely immoral and degenerate government over the Cambodian citizens that have been disenfranchised and who are suffering at its hands, for purely selfish, morally despicable/ degenerate reasons.

As an example of why supporting this government is morally degenerate behaviour, I offer the below:

Recently, there has been news of a US company, PacRim Bridges, accepting a $500,000 contract with the Cambodian government to improve relations between the US and the Cambodian government. US state Sen. Doug Ericksen and former US state Rep. Jay Rodne have undertaken, to the horror of the Cambodian diaspora including the recently émigréed CNRP hierarchy, to lobby on behalf of the HE regime.



Ericksen and R-Ferndale have reportedly praised the country’s widely condemned 2018 elections, which took place amid a crackdown that included shuttering independent media outlets and dissolving the main opposition party. Ericksen called the vote “free, just, and nonviolent, expressing the wills of the Cambodian people,” according to a March 22 report by Fresh News, which said the comments were relayed through a government spokesman. The comments echoed earlier remarks Ericksen had made about the elections, which he observed at the invitation of the HE government.

Ericksen’s parlaying of his elected position into a business relationship with the authoritarian HE regime is attracting condemnation from human-rights activists, local Cambodian Americans, exiled leaders of Cambodia’s opposition party and even a Republican congressman.

U.S. Rep. Ted Yoho, R-Florida, who serves on the House Foreign Affairs Committee and is co-sponsoring a bipartisan bill seeking sanctions against Cambodian leaders over human-rights abuses, blistered Ericksen’s assessment of the country’s elections.

“There is not a democracy in Cambodia. It’s a sham. It’s a dictatorship. A brutal dictatorship,” Yoho said in a phone interview. “I don’t know Senator Ericksen. I have never talked with him, never met him. But anybody that has a modicum of just a little bit of decency and intelligence would know that that is not a fair and open election"

I rest my case.



https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... attle-news

Re: Business Class: the resistance begins

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:15 pm
by Visser
Aseriousman wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:52 pm


The fact of the matter is that this, my targeted group, although earning very good income with perks which provide them with moral choices, continue to back an extremely immoral and degenerate government over the Cambodian citizens that have been disenfranchised and who are suffering at its hands, for purely selfish, morally despicable/ degenerate reasons.


The same could be said about everyone working or taking a holiday in Cambodia, not to mention all those people in the west buying Cambodian made products.

Re: Business Class: the resistance begins

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:39 pm
by TheGrimReaper
Visser wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:15 pm
Aseriousman wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:52 pm


The fact of the matter is that this, my targeted group, although earning very good income with perks which provide them with moral choices, continue to back an extremely immoral and degenerate government over the Cambodian citizens that have been disenfranchised and who are suffering at its hands, for purely selfish, morally despicable/ degenerate reasons.


The same could be said about everyone working or taking a holiday in Cambodia, not to mention all those people in the west buying Cambodian made products.

How does this differ from the rest of the world? Name one country where people are not suffering for purely selfish, morally despicable/ degenerate reasons.

Corruption and vice is everywhere. There is no such thing as a perfect society, that is not human nature.

Everything is relative and when in Rome etc.

Re: Business Class: the resistance begins

Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:58 pm
by logos
HE is no dictator, he's merely using executive privilege like his likewise democratically elected US counterpart.

Re: Business Class: the resistance begins

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:16 am
by violet
Aseriousman wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:52 pm

Moral degeneracy of expat businessmen in the kingdom of Cambodia

Or Business Class: The resistance begins...

First of all, please don't take offense.

Phnom Penh: Over the last 10 years that I have been reading these Cambodian expat fora, I've read a lot about what posters seem to view as moral degeneracy. From NGOs to "teflers", "bottom feeders" to "hipsters", there doesn't seem to be anyone that has escaped the moral degeneracy tag.
EXCEPT businessman, and those who work for foreign companies (that aren't NGOs).

I would like to suggest that they should be included in the moral degeneracy trope, along with all the rest. In fact, that they should be put at the very top of the list, as the glace cherry tops a trifle. Although some of the people in all the expat trope groupings are undoubtedly morally degenerate, my targeted group contain a greater percentage of the morally reprehensible and defunct.

I intend to prove my point quite simply right here, right now, and I dare anyone to contest it. Although, I know you won't be able to, so I'm not expecting any responses. Not sensible ones anyway.

The fact of the matter is that this, my targeted group, although earning very good income with perks which provide them with moral choices, continue to back an extremely immoral and degenerate government over the Cambodian citizens that have been disenfranchised and who are suffering at its hands, for purely selfish, morally despicable/ degenerate reasons.

As an example of why supporting this government is morally degenerate behaviour, I offer the below:

Recently, there has been news of a US company, PacRim Bridges, accepting a $500,000 contract with the Cambodian government to improve relations between the US and the Cambodian government. US state Sen. Doug Ericksen and former US state Rep. Jay Rodne have undertaken, to the horror of the Cambodian diaspora including the recently émigréed CNRP hierarchy, to lobby on behalf of the HE regime.



Ericksen and R-Ferndale have reportedly praised the country’s widely condemned 2018 elections, which took place amid a crackdown that included shuttering independent media outlets and dissolving the main opposition party. Ericksen called the vote “free, just, and nonviolent, expressing the wills of the Cambodian people,” according to a March 22 report by Fresh News, which said the comments were relayed through a government spokesman. The comments echoed earlier remarks Ericksen had made about the elections, which he observed at the invitation of the HE government.

Ericksen’s parlaying of his elected position into a business relationship with the authoritarian HE regime is attracting condemnation from human-rights activists, local Cambodian Americans, exiled leaders of Cambodia’s opposition party and even a Republican congressman.

U.S. Rep. Ted Yoho, R-Florida, who serves on the House Foreign Affairs Committee and is co-sponsoring a bipartisan bill seeking sanctions against Cambodian leaders over human-rights abuses, blistered Ericksen’s assessment of the country’s elections.

“There is not a democracy in Cambodia. It’s a sham. It’s a dictatorship. A brutal dictatorship,” Yoho said in a phone interview. “I don’t know Senator Ericksen. I have never talked with him, never met him. But anybody that has a modicum of just a little bit of decency and intelligence would know that that is not a fair and open election"

I rest my case.



https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... attle-news
Obscenely talented.
Quite the case

Re: Business Class: the resistance begins

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:41 am
by Miguelito
violet wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:16 am
Aseriousman wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:52 pm

Moral degeneracy of expat businessmen in the kingdom of Cambodia

Or Business Class: The resistance begins...

First of all, please don't take offense.

Phnom Penh: Over the last 10 years that I have been reading these Cambodian expat fora, I've read a lot about what posters seem to view as moral degeneracy. From NGOs to "teflers", "bottom feeders" to "hipsters", there doesn't seem to be anyone that has escaped the moral degeneracy tag.
EXCEPT businessman, and those who work for foreign companies (that aren't NGOs).

I would like to suggest that they should be included in the moral degeneracy trope, along with all the rest. In fact, that they should be put at the very top of the list, as the glace cherry tops a trifle. Although some of the people in all the expat trope groupings are undoubtedly morally degenerate, my targeted group contain a greater percentage of the morally reprehensible and defunct.

I intend to prove my point quite simply right here, right now, and I dare anyone to contest it. Although, I know you won't be able to, so I'm not expecting any responses. Not sensible ones anyway.

The fact of the matter is that this, my targeted group, although earning very good income with perks which provide them with moral choices, continue to back an extremely immoral and degenerate government over the Cambodian citizens that have been disenfranchised and who are suffering at its hands, for purely selfish, morally despicable/ degenerate reasons.

As an example of why supporting this government is morally degenerate behaviour, I offer the below:

Recently, there has been news of a US company, PacRim Bridges, accepting a $500,000 contract with the Cambodian government to improve relations between the US and the Cambodian government. US state Sen. Doug Ericksen and former US state Rep. Jay Rodne have undertaken, to the horror of the Cambodian diaspora including the recently émigréed CNRP hierarchy, to lobby on behalf of the HE regime.



Ericksen and R-Ferndale have reportedly praised the country’s widely condemned 2018 elections, which took place amid a crackdown that included shuttering independent media outlets and dissolving the main opposition party. Ericksen called the vote “free, just, and nonviolent, expressing the wills of the Cambodian people,” according to a March 22 report by Fresh News, which said the comments were relayed through a government spokesman. The comments echoed earlier remarks Ericksen had made about the elections, which he observed at the invitation of the HE government.

Ericksen’s parlaying of his elected position into a business relationship with the authoritarian HE regime is attracting condemnation from human-rights activists, local Cambodian Americans, exiled leaders of Cambodia’s opposition party and even a Republican congressman.

U.S. Rep. Ted Yoho, R-Florida, who serves on the House Foreign Affairs Committee and is co-sponsoring a bipartisan bill seeking sanctions against Cambodian leaders over human-rights abuses, blistered Ericksen’s assessment of the country’s elections.

“There is not a democracy in Cambodia. It’s a sham. It’s a dictatorship. A brutal dictatorship,” Yoho said in a phone interview. “I don’t know Senator Ericksen. I have never talked with him, never met him. But anybody that has a modicum of just a little bit of decency and intelligence would know that that is not a fair and open election"

I rest my case.



https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... attle-news
Obscenely talented.
Quite the case
How on earth is he "obscenely talented" for making that "case"?

His underlying argument was that foreign businessmen are morally degenerate, and that foreign businessmen contain a greater percentage of morally reprehensible and defunct individuals than other careers.

To argue this case, he simply states that foreign businessmen "back an extremely immoral and degenerate government over the Cambodian citizens that have been disenfranchised and who are suffering at its hands, for purely selfish, morally despicable/ degenerate reasons."

For starters, he never argues on why the government is extremely immoral or degenerate, how citizens are disenfranchised, who has suffered and how, and what the selfish (etc) reasons are. And then he fails to prove that businessmen even back the government, and why it would be bad if they did and what alternatives they could take (and he never cites appropriate economic theory and studies to make a case that businessmen should not back the governments in countries with which they conduct business).

Instead, he points at two U.S. state level politicians and attacks their fully legal behavior in the U.S. as his proof that foreign businessmen in Cambodia are as he claims.

There is zero correlation between the actions of two state level politicians (of which there are tens and tens of thousands in the U.S.) and businessmen in Cambodia that come from a diverse range of countries.

His post would receive a failing grade in any middle school class that asked for persuasive or logical writing. It's a rubbish post by a poster that has proven time and time again (I can post links) that he does not grasp the facts and is incapable of defending any argument with reason and facts.

Re: Business Class: the resistance begins

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:45 am
by Lucky Lucan
The people need to rise up and realize their true mission, which is ratifying the border posts and expelling all evil Yuon from this country. Then we can give them a 500% pay raise. Forget about the economy and fuck all those degenerate businessmen who are employing people. :-?

Re: Business Class: the resistance begins

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:47 am
by Prahok
Miguelito wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:41 am
How on earth is he "obscenely talented" for making that "case"?
I suspect Violet was being sarcastic.

The OP's premise is the assumption that because you are doing business in any given country you are in favour of the polices and practices of the local Government. It is a premise that has somewhat shakey foundations.

Re: Business Class: the resistance begins

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:32 am
by vladimir
The flipside is that if businessmen do NOT do business with the govt people will starve, regardless of the ethics.

NGO wacko liberal types like to use the poor as pawns in their little scams, they don't care about the Khmer people (and their pay rates reflect that), they care about sanitizing donors.

This is merely fake concern to get somebody who is more friendly to the US/EU into power, but if that did happen, they would put up with any human rights abuses by the new guy merely to have their man in power.

Tired of seeing the human rights abuse card played to access resources and strategic interests.

The fact that it still fools anybody is scary.

Re: Business Class: the resistance begins

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:34 am
by spitthedog
Hey,

Businessman aside (respect), do you think the massive current Chinese investment is helping or hurting the average khmer long term?
Rents have sky rocketed. Cost of living gone up. Jobs lost.
It seems more about regional influence/power than anything else.
Power/control = fuck the little guy.

Also, foreign government donations and NGO money.
Another gravy train where a small percentage makes it down to the people who need it most?

The status quo continues?

An alcoholic or drug addict needs to hit rock bottom before he makes a recovery.....evidently.

Re: Business Class: the resistance begins

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:10 pm
by Spigzy
Aung San Suu Kyi should serve as a warning to foreign liberals of exactly how politics works in SE Asia. Decry HE as much as you like, put Sam Rainsy or Kem Sokhna or whoever in his place and you're going to see absolutely no difference whatsoever; the "saviour" will become the oppressor. The empowered families may change, but the behaviours certainly will not.

#PowerCorrupts #DifferentButSameSame

Re: Business Class: the resistance begins

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:17 pm
by Aseriousman
Miguelito wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:41 am
violet wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:16 am
Aseriousman wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:52 pm

Moral degeneracy of expat businessmen in the kingdom of Cambodia

Or Business Class: The resistance begins...

First of all, please don't take offense.
.

U.S. Rep. Ted Yoho, R-Florida, who serves on the House Foreign Affairs Committee and is co-sponsoring a bipartisan bill seeking sanctions against Cambodian leaders over human-rights abuses, blistered Ericksen’s assessment of the country’s elections.

“There is not a democracy in Cambodia. It’s a sham. It’s a dictatorship. A brutal dictatorship,” Yoho said in a phone interview. “I don’t know Senator Ericksen. I have never talked with him, never met him. But anybody that has a modicum of just a little bit of decency and intelligence would know that that is not a fair and open election"

I rest my case.



https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... attle-news
Obscenely talented.
Quite the case
How on earth is he "obscenely talented" for making that "case"?

His underlying argument was that foreign businessmen are morally degenerate, and that foreign businessmen contain a greater percentage of morally reprehensible and defunct individuals than other careers.

To argue this case, he simply states that foreign businessmen "back an extremely immoral and degenerate government over the Cambodian citizens that have been disenfranchised and who are suffering at its hands, for purely selfish, morally despicable/ degenerate reasons."

For starters, he never argues on why the government is extremely immoral or degenerate, how citizens are disenfranchised, who has suffered and how, and what the selfish (etc) reasons are. And then he fails to prove that businessmen even back the government, and why it would be bad if they did and what alternatives they could take (and he never cites appropriate economic theory and studies to make a case that businessmen should not back the governments in countries with which they conduct business).

Instead, he points at two U.S. state level politicians and attacks their fully legal behavior in the U.S. as his proof that foreign businessmen in Cambodia are as he claims.

There is zero correlation between the actions of two state level politicians (of which there are tens and tens of thousands in the U.S.) and businessmen in Cambodia that come from a diverse range of countries.

His post would receive a failing grade in any middle school class that asked for persuasive or logical writing. It's a rubbish post by a poster that has proven time and time again (I can post links) that he does not grasp the facts and is incapable of defending any argument with reason and facts.
You do realise that you were just punched on the nose by a REPUBLICAN US congressman from FLORIDA who is suggesting that you are even more morally bankrupt than he is? :lol:

Re: Business Class: the resistance begins

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:38 pm
by Miguelito
I do not realize that, and he is not suggesting that.

Re: Business Class: the resistance begins

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:47 pm
by gavinmac
Aseriousman wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:52 pm


Phnom Penh: Over the last 10 years that I have been reading these Cambodian expat fora, I've read a lot about what posters seem to view as moral degeneracy. From NGOs to "teflers", "bottom feeders" to "hipsters", there doesn't seem to be anyone that has escaped the moral degeneracy tag.
EXCEPT businessman, and those who work for foreign companies (that aren't NGOs).

I would like to suggest that they should be included in the moral degeneracy trope, along with all the rest. In fact, that they should be put at the very top of the list, as the glace cherry tops a trifle. Although some of the people in all the expat trope groupings are undoubtedly morally degenerate, my targeted group contain a greater percentage of the morally reprehensible and defunct.

I intend to prove my point quite simply right here, right now, and I dare anyone to contest it.
Your point is total fucking nonsense. Businesspeople in Cambodia have not escaped the moral degeneracy tag in online forums. We have had thread after thread about expat businesspeople behaving very badly.


Vic Boyle drunkenly ran over an occupied tuk tuk and blamed his girlfriend, and we pointed out here that he was wanted in Florida for an assault involving a lawn chair and two crab baskets. (He has since cleared up that warrant and is no longer a fugitive from Florida police).

We had a lengthy thread on Mark Vandewater getting arrested for extorting Canadian lawyer Martin Desautels in a dispute over a skank from the Office Bar.

We discussed that Huawei executive Kevin Weng crashed his BMW into a tuk tuk and that Huawei then tried to censor discussion of this.

AeroCambodia CEO Brian Naswall was banged up for underage sex.

Mark McLay aka Jonny Ferrari claims to be a successful casino executive, we had a thread here about him throwing a hooker out of a tuk tuk and then two years later threatening to have his landlord's wife raped.

Who can forget Britcham Boss Ejected For Getting Punchy at Pontoon?

Businessperson Andrew Wallace drove drunk and killed a student.

There's a 30+ page thread about the Dutch CEO of Kamkav Stefan Struik getting arrested relating to videos of his boyfriend torturing a 2 year old.

We've talked about the Kosovan owner of Raqia being arrest for a multi-million dollar fraud, the German nightclub owner Robert Schlamohr being arrest on fraud charges, Sharky Bar being bought by shady "OneCoin" dudes, and Cadillac Bar being bought by shady boiler room operators.

Ken Wilcox operated a psychology practice in Cambodia, Gavin Scott's a doctor, Dr. Gloria acts like a doctor, Steve Morrish operates some kind of security firm, and their "issues" have all been discussed here.

I'm sure there have been others, those are just the ones that come to mind. If you're aware of any other expat businesspeople with spectacular fuck ups or moral failings, let us know or start a thread. But the the premise of your post, that expat businesspeople in Cambodia escape online scorn for their misconduct, is bullshit.

Re: Business Class: the resistance begins

Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:11 pm
by violet
Moral failings? Lol...quite a few, I 'imagine'