Minimum (khmer) age of Cambodian property ownership

Queries related to building and decorating and whatever else the married dudes are up to, as well as all the repetitive questions about "Where can I find a nice air conditioned apartment in a good location for $75 a month?"

Minimum (khmer) age of Cambodian property ownership

Postby ricecakes » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:25 pm

Anyone know what this is from direct experience?
Rated R for Ricecakes
ricecakes
I Fap to 440

Re: Minimum (khmer) age of Cambodian property ownership

Postby YaTingPom » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:40 pm

I don’t know but I’d imagine it’s when they get their ID card. 16 or is it 18?
Certainly not a child.
Oh long will old Ireland be seeking in vain
Ere we find a new leader to match the man slain.
YaTingPom
GoatFetishist

Postby gavinmac » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:06 pm

I guess the question is why a guy with a Cambodian wife and children would want to put the property in the child's name. Probably so if the wife dies first her family doesn't grab the land.
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003

Postby Lucky Lucan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:11 pm

Interesting question, I've thought about this before. I'm not suggesting it's the same situation but ideally I'd like to buy land in my son's name while there's no way I'd ever trust his mother to do it in her name.
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby gavinmac » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:32 pm

Lucky Lucan wrote:Interesting question, I've thought about this before. I'm not suggesting it's the same situation but ideally I'd like to buy land in my son's name while there's no way I'd ever trust his mother to do it in her name.

If it's in the child's name couldn't the child's mother just sign the land (or gazebo) over to herself anyway?
gavinmac

Postby gavinmac » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:36 pm

There is another concern here. Let's say you're a fat, unhealthy, hard drinking older expat who expects to die at age 57.

If property is in your younger wife's name, what if she remarries, and maybe she marries a guy who has children from a prior relationship. Then she dies before he does.

He gets the land, he leaves it to his kids when he dies, and your kids get fuck all.
gavinmac

Postby PSD_Kiwi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:03 pm

18 is the minimum age for property ownership in Cambodia.
A lot of people like to fool you and say that you’re not smart if you never went to college, but common sense rules over everything. That’s what I learned from selling crack. -Snoop Dogg
PSD_Kiwi
Penitus In Meus Brain , Universitas Tune

Postby PSD_Kiwi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:04 pm

YaTingPom wrote:I don’t know but I’d imagine it’s when they get their ID card. 16 or is it 18?
Certainly not a child.

National IDs are issued at 16. Property ownership 18.
A lot of people like to fool you and say that you’re not smart if you never went to college, but common sense rules over everything. That’s what I learned from selling crack. -Snoop Dogg
PSD_Kiwi

Postby PSD_Kiwi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:33 pm

This is worth noting if you're married to a Cambodian and have children under 18, just in case your wife/husband dies before You...

“If a foreigner inherits a property, and that property doesn’t have a strata title – or is not being held through a company with a Cambodian majority shareholder – he or she cannot assume ownership of the estate. In this situation, the law dictates that the estate becomes a legal entity, which the foreigner must sell within three months. The profits are then distributed among the heirs (including foreigners) and the entity is dissolved.

If the estate cannot be sold within three months, it must be handed over to the next inheritor in line holding Cambodian citizenship.”

https://www.b2b-cambodia.com/articles/g ... -cambodia/

I'm not sure whether it's possible to set up a trust in Cambodia? If it is possible, put the property into the trust and make the kids the trustees?
PSD_Kiwi

Postby DetroitMuscle » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:33 am

gavinmac wrote:I guess the question is why a guy with a Cambodian wife and children would want to put the property in the child's name. Probably so if the wife dies first her family doesn't grab the land.

I get its Cambodia and law vs reality are often 2 very different things. But doesn't Cambodia follow a lot of other countries when it comes to basic estate laws, or no? Since foreign husband presumably cannot own land, when Khmer Wife dies, wouldn't her assets default to her children in a case of no will?
Anyone who doesn't like Capitalism is a pathetic loser. God bless the USA and no place else.
DetroitMuscle
I Fap to 440

Postby Kachang » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:36 am

DetroitMuscle wrote:
gavinmac wrote:I guess the question is why a guy with a Cambodian wife and children would want to put the property in the child's name. Probably so if the wife dies first her family doesn't grab the land.

I get its Cambodia and law vs reality are often 2 very different things. But doesn't Cambodia follow a lot of other countries when it comes to basic estate laws, or no? Since foreign husband presumably cannot own land, when Khmer Wife dies, wouldn't her assets default to her children in a case of no will?

Yes.

But if the children are underage, they can not own the property, some someone else will watch it for them. That's where the trouble might start.
Kachang
Bark plop plop bark woof woof

Postby ricecakes » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:44 am

PSD_Kiwi wrote:This is worth noting if you're married to a Cambodian and have children under 18, just in case your wife/husband dies before You...

“If a foreigner inherits a property........."

Ok u can stop right there.

A khmer is never going to leave a property to a foreigner so this article is useless !!!!!!!!!!!
Rated R for Ricecakes
ricecakes
I Fap to 440

Postby PSD_Kiwi » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:18 pm

:lol:

Well, If legally married in Cambodia, then the foreigner inherits all of their wifes/husbands assets when they die...but as mentioned, property needs to be sold or passed on to the next inheritor in line within 3 mths if the property falls under the "cannot be owned by a foreigner" category, unfortunately if the next inheritor in line is under 18, then you're fucked basically.

I am interested in finding out whether it's possible to set up a trust and put property into the trust...anyone know???
PSD_Kiwi

Postby ricecakes » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:43 pm

I know one UK guy here who had significant assets in his KHR wife's name when she died. No kids.
From memory he came to an arrangement with the family who he had supported for many many years amicably whereby they got some and i think he did too and he remarried eventually.
Rated R for Ricecakes
ricecakes
I Fap to 440

Postby raendi » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:37 pm

Kachang wrote:if the children are underage, they can not own the property, some someone else will watch it for them.

My girlfriend was underage when she inherit property and land from her parents. When she was 16 family make fake age 18 id and she get property to herself. This happen 15yrs ago...
Pardon my engrish, thanks you.
raendi
I need professional help

Next

Return to Houses, Apartments and Real Estate