Motorbike Plates

Whether you've got a Tico or a Lexus, a Dailim or a Harley, this is the forum to discuss transport in Cambodia. Where to buy it, how much to pay and what to do when the wheels fall off.

Motorbike Plates

Postby Gardiguy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:35 pm

So I went to Mean Leap Honda dealership today on Mao Tse Toung Boulevard and the girl told me I would be unable to get plates for the bike as a foreigner, I assumed she was mistaken and simply left. Just wondering if there was any truth to that and if not can anyone recommend a good reputable dealer for a new Honda or Suzuki.
Gardiguy
I've got nothing better to do

Re: Motorbike Plates

Postby Mèo Đen » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:08 pm

Gardiguy wrote:So I went to Mean Leap Honda dealership today on Mao Tse Toung Boulevard and the girl told me I would be unable to get plates for the bike as a foreigner, I assumed she was mistaken and simply left. Just wondering if there was any truth to that and if not can anyone recommend a good reputable dealer for a new Honda or Suzuki.

Unless some new law has been enacted that's rubbish. If you're buying a new bike, the dealers should do all the registration, getting your card and plates, etching the engine with number etc. At Yamaha its free if you are Khmer and there is a charge of around $30 or so if you are a foreigner. I paid $50 for a (very) express service, ie I didn't have to wait around for the plates to be done and some official came to the showroom to complete my registration card application. When the card was ready the showroom telephoned me and I went and picked it up.
Mèo Đen
I Can Haz Catz ?

Motorbike Plates

Postby Gardiguy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:56 pm

Mèo Đen wrote:
Gardiguy wrote:So I went to Mean Leap Honda dealership today on Mao Tse Toung Boulevard and the girl told me I would be unable to get plates for the bike as a foreigner, I assumed she was mistaken and simply left. Just wondering if there was any truth to that and if not can anyone recommend a good reputable dealer for a new Honda or Suzuki.

Unless some new law has been enacted that's rubbish. If you're buying a new bike, the dealers should do all the registration, getting your card and plates, etching the engine with number etc. At Yamaha its free if you are Khmer and there is a charge of around $30 or so if you are a foreigner. I paid $50 for a (very) express service, ie I didn't have to wait around for the plates to be done and some official came to the showroom to complete my registration card application. When the card was ready the showroom telephoned me and I went and picked it up.

That's pretty much what I have read on here from past years, I even told her it was a $30 charge for foreigner but just got the blank smile stare. Any recommendations on where to buy a new bike relatively hassle free?
Gardiguy

Postby kgbagent » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:38 pm

I'm awaiting a new bike to arrive and have been told by the dealer that it is a new rule that foreigners cannot register a new bike for plates. The dealer does it in their name and then you transfer the ownership.

Will confirm this when it arrives in the next couple of weeks
kgbagent
I live above an internet cafe

Postby Mèo Đen » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:45 pm

Yamaha Motor Cambodia Czech Republic Blvd (169)
They have always given me very good service. I bought my bike four years ago and I still get a lot of free service and usually only pay for parts.
Mèo Đen
I Can Haz Catz ?

Motorbike Plates

Postby Gardiguy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:02 pm

Mèo Đen wrote:Yamaha Motor Cambodia Czech Republic Blvd (169)
They have always given me very good service. I bought my bike four years ago and I still get a lot of free service and usually only pay for parts.
Thank you. I'll check them out tomorrow
Gardiguy

Motorbike Plates

Postby Gardiguy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:03 pm

kgbagent wrote:I'm awaiting a new bike to arrive and have been told by the dealer that it is a new rule that foreigners cannot register a new bike for plates. The dealer does it in their name and then you transfer the ownership.

Will confirm this when it arrives in the next couple of weeks
Hmm, that's interesting. First I've heard of that but not too surprising I guess.
Gardiguy

Postby Gardiguy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:16 pm

Another day another dealership, this one the main Honda dealership on Monivong. Same story except she wouldn't even sell to me without a Khmer friend along to register it too. I give up, buying used
Gardiguy

Motorbike Plates

Postby LexusSchmexus » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:25 pm

You're being a pussy. Just buy a bike and go get it registered yourself, it's not that complicated. Dealerships don't want to deal with the hassle of registering bikes for you or anyone else, it's not their job. Plenty of fixers along the road by the Ministry.
LexusSchmexus
Damn, I just saw my Internet Bill !

Motorbike Plates

Postby Gardiguy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Gardiguy wrote:Another day another dealership, this one the main Honda dealership on Monivong. Same story except she wouldn't even sell to me without a Khmer friend along to register it too. I give up, buying used
I forgot to mention that every initial price she gave me when I asked about a bike was $250 - 300 extra
Gardiguy

Motorbike Plates

Postby Gardiguy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:04 pm

LexusSchmexus wrote:You're being a pussy. Just buy a bike and go get it registered yourself, it's not that complicated. Dealerships don't want to deal with the hassle of registering bikes for you or anyone else, it's not their job. Plenty of fixers along the road by the Ministry.
What part of they wouldn't even sell it to me without a Khmer friend there don't you understand. I am prepared to register it myself. Chill man
Gardiguy

Postby YaTingPom » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Gardiguy wrote:
LexusSchmexus wrote:You're being a pussy. Just buy a bike and go get it registered yourself, it's not that complicated. Dealerships don't want to deal with the hassle of registering bikes for you or anyone else, it's not their job. Plenty of fixers along the road by the Ministry.
What part of they wouldn't even sell it to me without a Khmer friend there don't you understand. I am prepared to register it myself. Chill man

Are you South African?
They seem to be the kicking boys and girls at the moment. Because AFRICA no doubt.
Oh long will old Ireland be seeking in vain
Ere we find a new leader to match the man slain.
YaTingPom
GoatFetishist

Motorbike Plates

Postby Gardiguy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:22 pm

YaTingPom wrote:
Gardiguy wrote:

Are you South African?
They seem to be the kicking boys and girls at the moment. Because AFRICA no doubt.
Haha. Nope. Canadian and white as snow. No idea. Oh well. Maybe tomorrow I'll try one more place and just say yes, I have a khmer friend to put the plates under, and then do it myself with a fixer as LS says
Gardiguy

Postby Gardiguy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Thinking back on the conversation I think maybe my awkward convo skills came into play here. I think she wanted me to say "Yes, Khmer friend to put plates under, no problem" instead of I'll do it myself.
Gardiguy

Postby LexusSchmexus » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:55 pm

That's likely what happened. The dealerships haven't done paperwork for foreigners for years. Even most Khmers do it themselves. Just head to the Ministry of Public Works and Transportation towards Siem Riep and find a fixer there. They'll do it for you if you don't have anyone to help (you'll likely need them even if you go with a friend).
LexusSchmexus
Damn, I just saw my Internet Bill !

Next

Return to Cars and Bikes