• Advertisement
Karcher

QR Codes on number plates

Whether you've got a Tico or a Lexus, a Dailim or a Harley, this is the forum to discuss transport in Cambodia. Where to buy it, how much to pay and what to do when the wheels fall off.

QR Codes on number plates

Postby Bubble T » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:36 am

Anyone know anything about the new QR codes being printed on number plates? Got a moto registered yesterday and it came with a scannable QR code on the plate, scanning it takes me to a ministry of transport web page showing my vehicle information. When did this start? What is it for? Seems weird and I hadn't heard anything about it.
Bubble T
I Love 440 More Than Real Life

Re: QR Codes on number plates

Postby pedros » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:43 am

It was in the news a while ago, I think it was just ignored as one of those thing that'll never happen, but obviously has.
pedros
A Moment of Clarity

Postby epidemiks » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:50 am

Same time as the new flimsy licences came in. Supposed to be a way to verify details and prevent counterfeit plates and licences.
epidemiks
Where Did All the People Go?

Postby Bubble T » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:54 am

epidemiks wrote:Same time as the new flimsy licences came in. Supposed to be a way to verify details and prevent counterfeit plates and licences.

The MoT page that scanning the code takes me to only gives information about the vehicle, not the owner. And the new ownership cards don't have a photo like they used to (though obviously do still have all relevant personal information). I can see how the new system can verify whether the plates are real and on the correct vehicle, but not whether the person driving it is the actual owner.
Bubble T

Postby epidemiks » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:05 am

Bubble T wrote:
epidemiks wrote:Same time as the new flimsy licences came in. Supposed to be a way to verify details and prevent counterfeit plates and licences.

The MoT page that scanning the code takes me to only gives information about the vehicle, not the owner. And the new ownership cards don't have a photo like they used to (though obviously do still have all relevant personal information). I can see how the new system can verify whether the plates are real and on the correct vehicle, but not whether the person driving it is the actual owner.

That's good, at least stalkers can't track you down by grabbing a pic of your plate. The reg card QR shows owner name and address and is linked to the plate #.
epidemiks
Where Did All the People Go?

Postby Bubble T » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:18 am

epidemiks wrote:The reg card QR shows owner name and address and is linked to the plate #.

I hadn't even noticed that there is a QR code on the card too. I see it takes me to the same page as the number plate code, but with the addition of having my name and address.
Bubble T

Postby Miguelito » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:59 pm

It's going to make driving away from the police when you get stopped a bit troublesome if they start scanning your QR code as soon as you pull over.
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby Playboy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:14 pm

Only for those of you whose bikes/cars are registered in your own name at your own address, or have a driving licence.

#RookieMistakes

Sent from my SM-G928C using Tapatalk
"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
Playboy
Play[ing hard to get]boy

Postby pedros » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:41 am

I never got round to putting plates on my bike bike. After finding out the price was much more for whiteys than locals, I threw a mild strop and was going to get the mrs to do it instead, but put it off, so far no problems, just drive fast at the cops.

1/2 the motos in the provinces are plateless, though not recommended for big city daily driving.
pedros
A Moment of Clarity

Postby maven » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:44 am

Miguelito wrote:It's going to make driving away from the police when you get stopped a bit troublesome if they start scanning your QR code as soon as you pull over.

I would bet money that maybe 5 officers in the whole kingdom have scanners.

Oh, wait, we need scanners to read bar codes?

How about we make the officers pay for them? Like their uniforms, weapons, petrol?

That will encourage them to get one!
Trump is a genius!
maven
I live above an internet cafe

Postby Playboy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:23 am

maven wrote:
Miguelito wrote:It's going to make driving away from the police when you get stopped a bit troublesome if they start scanning your QR code as soon as you pull over.

How about we make the officers pay for them? Like their uniforms, weapons, petrol?

Just like the time that French NGO donated 5 breathalysers to the Khmer Traffic Police

Or the time that they donated a couple of speed guns ...

Sent from my SM-G928C using Tapatalk
"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
Playboy
Play[ing hard to get]boy

Postby Bubble T » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:40 am

maven wrote:

I'd take that bet. All they need is an android phone with a camera, scanning apps are free and exist in Khmer language. All you have to do is take a photo of the QR code and the app takes you directly to wherever the code leads. Literally so simple even a Khmer traffic cop could do it.
Bubble T

Postby kgbagent » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:28 am

Agreed - scan it with ur mobile and it takes u to a govt website

Also your reg card and license qr codes

All they need is a cheap smartphone and internet
kgbagent
I live above an internet cafe

Return to Cars and Bikes