Thai car to Sihanoukville legally

Whether you've got a Tico or a Lexus, a Dailim or a Harley, this is the forum to discuss transport in Cambodia. Where to buy it, how much to pay and what to do when the wheels fall off.

Thai car to Sihanoukville legally

Postby Johan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:54 pm

Hi everybody! Been reading the forum but can't find the information I'm looking for so if anybody's got some info or experience I'd really appreciate it. I'm working in Pattaya and my boss wants me to open up an office in Sihanoukville. Hoping to be able to use my Thai car to go back and forth but would like to have the correct paperwork and more importantly insurance. Have heard people saying it's possible to get a proper temporary import permit with multiple entries as well as insurance in Phnom Penh but don't don't know if it's just "bar talk" or really possible. Any info appreciated! Thanks! Johan
Johan
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby Playboy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:09 pm

Wait and see if the 440 poster Phuket2006 answers this. If he does he will be correct, he has been driving around and between countries here for years.
"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
Playboy
440 Member in Exile

Re: Thai car to Sihanoukville legally

Postby YaTingPom » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:55 pm

Chat to a guy often who regularly comes over in his Thai pickup. Says he just pays a temp import duty and they give him a plate/card to display on the dashboard.

Not expensive iiirc.
Oh long will old Ireland be seeking in vain
Ere we find a new leader to match the man slain.
YaTingPom
GoatFetishist

Postby Phuket2006 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:39 pm

everyone that enters at KK gets that card, it does not mean anything, PLUS when enter at KK they charge you 100 baht/day for the amount of days ur in country and u only good for driving in KK province. PLUS u can not buy insurance at the border as u can when u enter Laos and Malaysia.
the OP wants to enter legally with insurance and i have already told him he need contact someone in Cambodia,
"We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer." HST
Phuket2006
The Internet is my Friend

Postby Miguelito » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:00 pm

Out of curiosity, what is the business from Pattaya that wants to open in Sihanoukville?
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby Kampong Blues » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:37 am

Miguelito wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the business from Pattaya that wants to open in Sihanoukville?

An online football gambling website?
ALL BLUES with John Kessler on KNKX
Kampong Blues
I live above an internet cafe

Postby Miguelito » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:31 am

Kampong Blues wrote:
Miguelito wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the business from Pattaya that wants to open in Sihanoukville?

An online football gambling website?

Probably just website designer :lol:
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby Garry Crabtree » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:27 pm

Facecrook
My posts are just jokes, maybe they're rude, offensive, and politically incorrect. They're not my opinion, viewpoint, idea, or judgement, but they're just fucking jokes so lighten up.
Garry Crabtree
K440 Old Cunts Club

Postby black69wolf69 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:39 pm

As Phuket richard has stated, my experience entering Cambodia by Thai car at Hat Lek/Koh Kong and proceeding to Sihanoukville has been the same. No insurance available at the border, technically you aren't supposed to leave Koh Kong province (you will be asked where you are going, just say "Koh Kong" and be done with it) in practice no one will stop you from traveling around the country. I have driven from Koh Kong to Sihanoukville too, last year, and then from there to Phnom Penh, exiting again at Koh Kong.

Customs will hold onto your Thai car customs forms (not the passenger conveyance one, just the customs one) and you pay 100 THB a day to enter, some guards try to extract more (150 or so) and reportedly will charge 200 if you come back later than the amount of time you told them you're staying in Cambodia. Also, sometimes the guard wants 100 Baht to lift the gate, but only when entering the country, never when leaving. You may be able to bargain this down, but better to be prepared to pay something and enter, rather than be faced with hassles because you don't want to play by their rules.

Phuketrichard, is entering at O'Smach still hassle free? I've heard people saying that sometimes the customs officials prevent cars from proceeding if drivers claim to be traveling too far, such as to Siem Reap or further. I entered there once, in 2015 and had no problems but others have said different things.

Not sure if a Cambodian insurance agent would offer insurance for a Thai car, only way you would know is to stop by their Sihanoukville office and see if they'll let you buy a policy. Otherwise, just drive carefully.
black69wolf69
I've got nothing better to do

Postby Phuket2006 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:44 pm

last time i entered with car was last july at o'smach and exited at Pailin, no problems other than customs at Palin told me as i did not have legal paper to enter Cambodia with my thai car, the thai customs would not let me bring it back in, Yea Right LOL
"We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer." HST
Phuket2006

Postby Johan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:17 pm

[quote="Miguelito"]Out of curiosity, what is the business from Pattaya that wants to open in Sihanoukville?[/quote]

Building apartments.

Thank you Phuket2006 for your help, got the temporary import permit and insurance without too much hassle.
Johan

Postby Phuket2006 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:32 am

Johan wrote:

Building apartments.

Thank you Phuket2006 for your help, got the temporary import permit and insurance without too much hassle.

temp import into Cambodia? Insurance?
I'd be interested in knowing how u did that and at what cost?
Phuket2006

Postby Johan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:46 am

Phuket2006 wrote:
Johan wrote:

Building apartments.

temp import into Cambodia? Insurance?
I'd be interested in knowing how u did that and at what cost?

Sure, $65 for General Department of Customs and Excise in Phnom Penh to stamp and sign my letter asking for temporary import, $15 for the guys at the customs office in Koh Kong to issue the temporary import permit and $352 for insurance from Infinity.
Johan

Postby YaTingPom » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:17 pm

I heard from a guy that he bought his Thai car over via Koh Kong and had to go see the Cambodian police who have set up a new koisk. They said it would cost him an extra 200THB a day, plus his $60 (or whatever it is) for the import plate.

He managed to get it down to 100THB a day.

This must be a new thing or he was ripped off!
Oh long will old Ireland be seeking in vain
Ere we find a new leader to match the man slain.
YaTingPom
GoatFetishist

Return to Cars and Bikes