Can I buy a motorcycle 125cc and above without Cambodia driving license?

Whether you've got a Tico or a Lexus, a Dailim or a Harley, this is the forum to discuss transport in Cambodia. Where to buy it, how much to pay and what to do when the wheels fall off.

Postby Playboy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:59 pm

Spigzy wrote:Seems I tempted fate - some plonker in blue had a half-assed attempt to wave me in this morning at the Stop Bokor lights having let two Khmer dudes go right through a red beforehand. Didn't change direction, didn't change speed (slow) & he just gave up. Weird.

Might have to tighten the definition to has anyone escaped a serious attempt to stop them; I've seen police on car bonnets, kicking freshy boys bikes over/baton whacking, etc, and some other stuff that to me makes running them a pretty daft prospect if you're in the wrong. :-)
Oh, so NOW you want to be part of the in-crowd !!?!

Sent from my SM-G928C using Tapatalk
"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
Playboy
440 Member in Exile

Postby ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:00 pm

FAKE NEWS
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ
I Am Losing It All to the Internet

Re: Can I buy a motorcycle 125cc and above without Cambodia driving license?

Postby Spigzy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:28 pm

YaTingPom wrote:
Spigzy wrote:Seems I tempted fate - some plonker in blue had a half-assed attempt to wave me in this morning at the Stop Bokor lights having let two Khmer dudes go right through a red beforehand. Didn't change direction, didn't change speed (slow) & he just gave up. Weird.

Video of GTFO!

Playboy wrote:Oh, so NOW you want to be part of the in-crowd !!?!

To be honest, I don't think it counts - the boy in blue nearly fell asleep in the middle of the road it was that half-assed! If that's what you guys are talking about, happy to concede that you can do it all day long. I had grander visions of you ultra-cool K440 police evaders pulling some serious stunts to avoid the long arm of the law, something a bit more like this ...

:-)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Spigzy
Hoff FanBoy

Postby Playboy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:32 pm

Spigzy wrote:
YaTingPom wrote:

Video of GTFO!

Playboy wrote:Oh, so NOW you want to be part of the in-crowd !!?!

To be honest, I don't think it counts - the boy in blue nearly fell asleep in the middle of the road it was that half-assed! If that's what you guys are talking about, happy to concede that you can do it all day long. I had grander visions of you ultra-cool K440 police evaders pulling some serious stunts to avoid the long arm of the law, something a bit more like this ...

:-)
A couple of my evasions might have been a tad more exciting than yours ...

Sent from my SM-G928C using Tapatalk
"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
Playboy
440 Member in Exile

Postby businessclass » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Sometimes it seems they walk out on the busy road when they see a whitey, just to see if he stops, if not, they just grab someone behind him, or just walk back in again. I'm guessing chance is a lot of newcomers will think something is wrong and stop, and so not have a 'proper' license and not know about local regulations, and would then fall for their charming behavior, and out of fear cough up various dollar amounts, (sometimes up to $50 I've heard). This is where completely ignoring them when driving by works well. But given many of these folks in light blue are the same people beating up protesters in riot gear during election time, it'd be a bad idea to piss them off more than necessary.
businessclass
I have some social problems

Postby Mèo Đen » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:10 pm

YaTingPom wrote:If you're not experienced on a motorcycle I'd implore you not to learn in SE Asia!

Purely for your safety and cash in your pocket. Also check your insurance (if you have any) as they won't cover you when you fall off.

Exactly! It seems that the thread has morphed from riding a motorcycle to avoiding the police, which will be the least of his worries. How to avoid being tail ended or t-boned by some drunken hi-speed "kamikaze" idiot is more relevant :lol:
Mèo Đen
I Can Haz Catz ?

Re: Re:

Postby Canucklhead » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:28 am

Spigzy wrote:
Playboy wrote:Only of you are foolishly naive enough to actually stop for the police

I reckon this is a Cambodian Urban Legend - In 10+ years I've never once seen a foreigner not stop for the police when shepherded in for a chat. Not a single foreigner I know is capable of the 'freshy boy' dodge & swerve at speed - and secondly probably not dumb enough to risk life & limb in a crash to get away from a $5 fine.

Video evidence of foreigners evading police*, or I call BS. :-)

* no drunks
* no "Russians" of SHV
* no debatable was he "Chinese"? or actually Khmer
* other terms & conditions apply

Done it many times.
" Tho I am wise I have to wait like any other fool"
Canucklhead
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Postby kgbagent » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:57 pm

I got a license to conform for my travel insurance no other reason - no local license then no cover if injured
kgbagent
I live above an internet cafe

Postby YaTingPom » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:37 am

Noticed the police not bothering barang in PP and especially in SHV.
They're just concentrating on Chinese instead.

Not seen any Facebook rants complaining they've not been pulled yet.
Oh long will old Ireland be seeking in vain
Ere we find a new leader to match the man slain.
YaTingPom
GoatFetishist

Postby Albro » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:27 pm

YaTingPom wrote:Noticed the police not bothering barang in PP and especially in SHV.
They're just concentrating on Chinese instead.

Not seen any Facebook rants complaining they've not been pulled yet.

I always thought the cops in SHV are sort of cool, at least if you live here and can prove it with some casual chatting without being a dick.

But i too have noticed that they started focusing more and more on cars and trucks going to the chineese building-sites.
Albro
I live above an internet cafe

Previous

Return to Cars and Bikes