Vietnam plates in Cambodia and vice versa

Whether you've got a Tico or a Lexus, a Dailim or a Harley, this is the forum to discuss transport in Cambodia. Where to buy it, how much to pay and what to do when the wheels fall off.

Vietnam plates in Cambodia and vice versa

Postby Ron Paul » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:26 pm

Hello, new member here. Currently living in Vietnam but spending more and more time in Cambodia. I have two motorcycles that I want to bring to Cambodia. Can I ride around with Viet plates indefinitely? Will the police constantly stop me?

Rode my bike around sihanoukville for a week with no issues.

Also, I'm thinking about buying a car in the future. Can I take road trips with my viet plated car all over Laos and Cambodia? Or maybe I will purchase the car in Cambodia but I want to move freely between borders if possible. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.
Ron Paul
440 newbie - handle with care
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:15 pm

Postby epidemiks » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:46 pm

Bikes yes. Every backpacker worth his salt comes over on a Viet plated win copy.

Cars I can't speak for, but seems increasingly not so simple. I'm sure there's an asean agreement, but officer Samnang probably isn't up on the rules and will ding you.

Cambodian plated cars aren't so easy to enter Vietnam, as far as I know.
User avatar
epidemiks
A Moment of Clarity
 
Posts: 2440
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Vietnam plates in Cambodia and vice versa

Postby Ron Paul » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:54 pm

Thanks for the fast response. I had no issue in Sihanoukville on my motorbike but I've never been in Phnom Penh or anywhere else on my Viet plated bike. So not sure if I just got lucky.

Also the car thing. I have seen quite a few Cambodian plated vehicles around Vietnam so I'm sure it's possible. I want to buy the vehicle in whatever country allows me easy access to others.
Ron Paul
440 newbie - handle with care
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:15 pm

Vietnam plates in Cambodia and vice versa

Postby epidemiks » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:58 pm

Ron Paul wrote:Thanks for the fast response. I had no issue in Sihanoukville on my motorbike but I've never been in Phnom Penh or anywhere else on my Viet plated bike. So not sure if I just got lucky.

Also the car thing. I have seen quite a few Cambodian plated vehicles around Vietnam so I'm sure it's possible. I want to buy the vehicle in whatever country allows me easy access to others.



VN plates bikes all over. It's a minor cash donation if you do get stopped. Pre-emptive donations ensure rapid exits if you do get stopped.

VN cars are far less common. Probably best to buy in Singapore :D
User avatar
epidemiks
A Moment of Clarity
 
Posts: 2440
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Vietnam plates in Cambodia and vice versa

Postby Hanno » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:28 am

Khmer license plated cars only in the provinces adjoining Cambodia. Go any further and you will need to do the paperwork.
"I realized that If I had to choose, I would rather have birds than airplanes."

Charles Lindbergh
User avatar
Hanno
The Internet is my Friend
 
Posts: 6566
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Siem Reap

Re: Vietnam plates in Cambodia and vice versa

Postby black69wolf69 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:57 pm

Hanno wrote:Khmer license plated cars only in the provinces adjoining Cambodia. Go any further and you will need to do the paperwork.


Do you know what's needed? Viet plated cars are also a rarity in Cambodia - one occasionally sees one here and there in Phnom Penh and elsewhere, but it's a far cry from Laos where due to an official agreement with Vietnam, Lao cars are everywhere in Vietnam (I've even seen some near the Cambodia-Vietnam border) and vice versa (there are more Lao cars in Vietnam than the reverse, but mainly because most Lao cars in Vietnam are actually owned by Vietnamese who reside in central Vietnam, so I've been told).
black69wolf69
I've got nothing better to do
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Re: Vietnam plates in Cambodia and vice versa

Postby Hanno » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:49 am

black69wolf69 wrote:
Hanno wrote:Khmer license plated cars only in the provinces adjoining Cambodia. Go any further and you will need to do the paperwork.


Do you know what's needed? Viet plated cars are also a rarity in Cambodia - one occasionally sees one here and there in Phnom Penh and elsewhere, but it's a far cry from Laos where due to an official agreement with Vietnam, Lao cars are everywhere in Vietnam (I've even seen some near the Cambodia-Vietnam border) and vice versa (there are more Lao cars in Vietnam than the reverse, but mainly because most Lao cars in Vietnam are actually owned by Vietnamese who reside in central Vietnam, so I've been told).


I am not sure but already you will need a VN license as the government does not recognize international licenses.
"I realized that If I had to choose, I would rather have birds than airplanes."

Charles Lindbergh
User avatar
Hanno
The Internet is my Friend
 
Posts: 6566
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Siem Reap

Re: Vietnam plates in Cambodia and vice versa

Postby black69wolf69 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:28 pm

Viet licence I have - but whether you have one or not is usually of no interest to Vietnamese customs. On two occasions when I have dealt with Viet customs they were indifferent to my possessing a Vietnamese licence. In fact, they didn't like seeing a foreigner driving. I drove up to the Moc Bai customs house next to the Cambodian border town of Bavet recently, driving my friend's Vietnamese car. The border guard not only didn't allow me to drive a further 50m up to outbound immigration to unload my belongings, but told my friend to drive! He was angry that I was driving and so just for those 20m my friend had to switch places with me and park on the opposite side of the road. Once I got my gear, the border guard shooed my friend away. Why such an aggressive response? We asked for permission and were given such a harsh response, seems very unreasonable.

I hear it's quite straightforward to bring a Cambodian car into Vietnam, but perhaps only for driving near the border. I also suspect that the Viet border guards don't like seeing foreigners (non-Cambodians) driving Cambo vehicles into their country, even though there is no law that bans it. On a previous occasion driving a Lao car into Vietnam, I again got the run around and my Vietnamese friend was put on the paperwork. Vietnamese police no problems though, just customs.
black69wolf69
I've got nothing better to do
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:34 pm


Return to Cars and Bikes




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: walkjivefly and 53 guests