How often do you change your air filter?

Whether you've got a Tico or a Lexus, a Dailim or a Harley, this is the forum to discuss transport in Cambodia. Where to buy it, how much to pay and what to do when the wheels fall off.

How often do you change your air filter?

Postby slavedog » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:09 pm

Just took my car in for a few minor bits of work. The garage took it upon themselves to change the air filter while they were at it. I checked my receipts and it turned out the air filter was replaced (by the same garage) only 2 months / 1,000 miles ago.

Is this normal?
slavedog
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Re: How often do you change your air filter?

Postby kinard » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:38 pm

No, maybe every 30 - 40k. You got ripped off so go and firebomb their garage- cunts.
'Understanding is a well-spring of life to him who has it, but the correction of fools is folly' -Proverbs 16:22
kinard
Basement Dweller

Postby Miguelito » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:17 pm

I thought this thread was going to be able A/C air filters, which I've been told need to be changed every three months, but I certainly don't do it that frequently...
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby Phuket2006 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:41 pm

they wash/blow my air filter out everytime i change oil ( 7,000 Kms) change the filter every 40,000kms
"We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer." HST
Phuket2006
The Internet is my Friend

Postby Marinaris » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:03 pm

Miguelito wrote:I thought this thread was going to be able A/C air filters, which I've been told need to be changed every three months, but I certainly don't do it that frequently...

Same here
Marinaris
I've got internet at work

Postby Mèo Đen » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:49 pm

I change my "moto" air filter twice a year, after the "dry" and after the "wet" season, and change spark plug after 12k.
Mèo Đen
I Can Haz Catz ?

Postby LexusSchmexus » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:15 pm

Certainly too often unless you were driving on laterite roads all the time.
LexusSchmexus
Damn, I just saw my Internet Bill !

Postby GMJS-440 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:24 pm

The garages in Cambodia love that one, trying to replace air filter every time. Just needs a cleaning.
"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach English."
Credit Jacked Camry & LTO
GMJS-440
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates

Postby maven » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:03 pm

Miguelito wrote:I thought this thread was going to be able A/C air filters, which I've been told need to be changed every three months, but I certainly don't do it that frequently...

Not changed, removed and cleaned, wash with very hot water and apply bleach (kills dust mites)

Re-gassed, yes.
Trump is a genius!
maven

Postby Miguelito » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:25 am

maven wrote:

Not changed, removed and cleaned, wash with very hot water and apply bleach (kills dust mites)

That sounds like a lot of effort.
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby maven » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:04 pm

15 minutes.
Trump is a genius!
maven

Postby Jackal » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:05 pm

In normal conditions, a car air filter should be changed every 30'000km or every calendar year roughly (depends on manufacturer specs).

In normal Cambodian conditions I would half that to 15'000km as air in Cambodia is loaded with so many fine granules that get everywhere.

In countryside conditions (red dust), I would change every three months at most.

Beware cleaning these filters.

1. Most were not made to be serviceable items.

2. If you must clean them use less than 1.5bar pressure and spray from ten cm away. Most locals places will just blast point blank with 5/6 bars of pressure, in addition to whacking it off the ground, the wall, whatever is nearby. This causes air filter failure, which eventually causes engine failure etc.

3. Most filters here are copies of copies of copies, all sourced on Alibaba.com. Utter shite.
"Any fool can criticize,condem and complain and most fools do".

http://aholeinthewallspeaks.blogspot.com/
Jackal
A Moment of Clarity

Location: RESISTANCE IS NOT FUTILE. IT'S VOLTAGE DIVIDED BY CURRENT.

Return to Cars and Bikes