Car Price (Porsche)

Whether you've got a Tico or a Lexus, a Dailim or a Harley, this is the forum to discuss transport in Cambodia. Where to buy it, how much to pay and what to do when the wheels fall off.

Re: Car Price (Porsche)

Postby Playboy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Marinaris wrote:Here's the very good thread about Car Import Tax Table, which I agree on the tax calculation i.e (basic price*137.6%)

http://www.khmer440.com/chat_forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=60159&start=12

Playboy, is there an english or italian Luxury Tax too ?
Nope, just German Cars for some reason.

Sent from my SM-G928C using Tapatalk
"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
Playboy
Play[ing hard to get]boy

Postby Marinaris » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:28 pm

Deutsche Qualitat !
Marinaris
I've got internet at work

Postby Petrol Head » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:56 pm

Playboy wrote:Luckily for them, VW happened to avoid the Luxury German Tax when they officially set up last year.

Porches, Audi, BMW, Mercedes were not so lucky.

In response to an earlier comment, most of the official German brands here are making about a 4% profit on new car sales, not 10%.

Since they first opened, most of the official German brands have now changed their policies and have started servicing, spares and repairs, for grey market imports in addition to their work on officially imported vehicles to make ends meet.

Not entirely on point there, your Lordship. VW was immune because they were already authorised and established prior to the 2014 'German car tax'. So too were Mercedes of course, but VW was never specifically named as a targeted brand.

What actually happened was this:-

The schedule was leaked in early 2014 from memory. It led to such abject confusion that it was forced back to the CoM, who decided to call a meeting with industry groups and interested parties. There was a virtual fisticuffs between the dreadful thickheaded mafiosi running the customs department (whose underlings were responsible for inserting the brands into the tax document, thus creating the 'German luxury tax') and the US educated leader of the Ministry of Commerce, who had taken a somewhat more modern approach to a luxury car tax. Neither side wanted to give ground. I remember the dunce at the customs department grunting and snorting through the translator that the brands listed were 'only a guide' - whatever that means.

Simultaneously, Chinese built cars also became immune to certain tariffs in the 2014 schedule, which led to tremendous Cambodian farce as brows were furrowed and faces were lost, then saved as they tried to in vain to categorise the German brands assembled in China. No idea what came of that.
Petrol Head
Yangon Hipster

Postby Lucky Lucan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:28 pm

Petrol Head wrote:Not entirely on point there, your Lordship. VW was immune because they were already authorised and established prior to the 2014 'German car tax'. So too were Mercedes of course, but VW was never specifically named as a targeted brand.

Interesting post. I'm surprised VW were already established in 2014 though, I have rarely seen any new-looking VWs here and thought the official dealership was only started recently?

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5091603/vol ... hnom-penh/

The type of VW I'm imaging they'll be selling most here will be Touaregs/ Tiguans/ Golf Alltrack/ Passat Alltrack - which are all luxurious enough. Amaroks might be popular too, and would be taxed less as they are pick-ups.
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby Spigzy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:31 am

Playboy wrote:
Spigzy wrote:
Playboy wrote:Since they first opened, most of the official German brands have now changed their policies and have started servicing, spares and repairs, for grey market imports in addition to their work on officially imported vehicles to make ends meet.

Sent from my Android-Shakeweight using StormyDtalk

Audi definitely doesn't. Wankers. :evil:
Yes they do.

Since when? Took mine only 6 months back and was told they won't even change a tyre on it. Not too fussed anyway, probably wouldn't give that smug twat the business before I'm back in a trusty Range Rover. Simply the worst car I ever bought for these roads this Q7, one little pothole and the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree & drinks like a fish.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Spigzy
Hoff FanBoy

Postby Playboy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:57 am

Spigzy wrote:
Playboy wrote:
Spigzy wrote:
Playboy wrote:Since they first opened, most of the official German brands have now changed their policies and have started servicing, spares and repairs, for grey market imports in addition to their work on officially imported vehicles to make ends meet.

Yes they do.

Since when? Took mine only 6 months back and was told they won't even change a tyre on it. Not too fussed anyway, probably wouldn't give that smug twat the business before I'm back in a trusty Range Rover. Simply the worst car I ever bought for these roads this Q7, one little pothole and the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree & drinks like a fish.
They should have done. The policy was changed a while back. Although they might be suffering now from the lack of a foreign aftersales/workshop manager.

The regional company that runs the operation there recently (couple of months) sold out to a local investor, will be interesting to see what happens, especially with customer service - especially since they will no longer have any foreign staff at all.

"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
Playboy
Play[ing hard to get]boy

Postby Petrol Head » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:33 am

Lucky Lucan wrote:
Petrol Head wrote:Not entirely on point there, your Lordship. VW was immune because they were already authorised and established prior to the 2014 'German car tax'. So too were Mercedes of course, but VW was never specifically named as a targeted brand.

Interesting post. I'm surprised VW were already established in 2014 though, I have rarely seen any new-looking VWs here and thought the official dealership was only started recently?

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5091603/vol ... hnom-penh/

The type of VW I'm imaging they'll be selling most here will be Touaregs/ Tiguans/ Golf Alltrack/ Passat Alltrack - which are all luxurious enough. Amaroks might be popular too, and would be taxed less as they are pick-ups.

Yes, it is true - I believe Hung Hiep picked up the brand in 2011 or something, meaning that for a while there, a well known hops enthusiast was running both Mercedes and VW diagnostics simultaneously in the same dealership. A situation that only occurred otherwise in New Caledonia.

They had Touareg but not much else.

VW In SE Asia generally at the time was in poor shape and many local distributors in the region of the era have been replaced. There was a very aggressive expansion plan by VW circa 2015 as they took the number one sales position globally for a quarter or two - only for the dieselgate saga to come out of nowhere and arguably put things back worse than they were before because getting supply of vehicles and instructions from a rattled Wolfsburg became almost impossible.
Petrol Head
Yangon Hipster

Postby Marinaris » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:52 am

Spigzy wrote:
Playboy wrote:
Spigzy wrote:

Yes they do.

I'd not say Range Rover as trusty in Cambodia.
Marinaris

Postby Spigzy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:14 pm

I'd certainly question some of the people driving them as untrustworthy - some very shifty folks indeed! :-)

But the car itself is like a tank & with proper off-road capabilities, great for reaching relatives in the boonies during raining season & fuel consumption of the diesel 2.7 is astoundingly good for urban/rural mix. Best car I had here by a long shot. (RX300/Highlander/LX470/BMW X5/Audi Q7 being the others)
Spigzy
Hoff FanBoy

Postby Marinaris » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:33 pm

Spigzy wrote:I'd certainly question some of the people driving them as untrustworthy - some very shifty folks indeed! :-)

But the car itself is like a tank & with proper off-road capabilities, great for reaching relatives in the boonies during raining season & fuel consumption of the diesel 2.7 is astoundingly good for urban/rural mix. Best car I had here by a long shot. (RX300/Highlander/LX470/BMW X5/Audi Q7 being the others)

Btw, are we talking about a Vogue, Sport, Velar or Evoque ? :eyes:

How about the maintenance ? Are you going to Envotech ?
Marinaris

Postby Spigzy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:35 pm

Sport, no frills. Yes, the Envotech guys (bar one disaster with the Battambang crew) do a decent job. It's not cheap, but also found when things were fixed they stayed fixed - unlike the usual "Yes bong, engine light come on normal, I turn it off now!" with the usual grease monkeys. When I took my first one over (grey market), they sorted out absolutely everything - from my own checks before buying the car was in pretty decent shape, after 1st inspection it was running like a dream. On top of that they gave me a list of things that would need work in 6-12 months, pipes, rubber perishables, etc. & likely pricing, so I could plan a bit ahead on maintenance also.
:thumbsup:
Spigzy
Hoff FanBoy

Postby YaTingPom » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:10 pm

Are the Sports much better than the proper FF RR, or is that what you’ve gained your experience in?
I had an old Disco and it was a dog but was ok off road. Then had a classic RR V8 that was even better off road.

I’ve seen a few classics here with bloody Prado Diesel engines in. Mind you I saw a Volvo 240 with one in too!
Oh long will old Ireland be seeking in vain
Ere we find a new leader to match the man slain.
YaTingPom
GoatFetishist

Postby Marinaris » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:32 am

YaTingPom wrote:Are the Sports much better than the proper FF RR, or is that what you’ve gained your experience in?
I had an old Disco and it was a dog but was ok off road. Then had a classic RR V8 that was even better off road.

I’ve seen a few classics here with bloody Prado Diesel engines in. Mind you I saw a Volvo 240 with one in too!

Sports are cheaper than classic RR V8 (said Vogue) :P

That answers my question about how can the cars on the grey market be that cheaper than official dealer :lol:
Marinaris

Postby Marinaris » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:34 am

Spigzy wrote:Sport, no frills. Yes, the Envotech guys (bar one disaster with the Battambang crew) do a decent job. It's not cheap, but also found when things were fixed they stayed fixed - unlike the usual "Yes bong, engine light come on normal, I turn it off now!" with the usual grease monkeys. When I took my first one over (grey market), they sorted out absolutely everything - from my own checks before buying the car was in pretty decent shape, after 1st inspection it was running like a dream. On top of that they gave me a list of things that would need work in 6-12 months, pipes, rubber perishables, etc. & likely pricing, so I could plan a bit ahead on maintenance also.
:thumbsup:

Sounds great, then it could be cheaper to get the original pieces you need to change, overseas and let them handle to handwork.
Marinaris

Postby Spigzy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:45 pm

Envotech only use OEM parts from my experience of replacing fuel lines & a few bits & bobs. I think if you're haggling over saving a few bucks on parts by sourcing them yourself from overseas & paying import duty & all the hassle, then you probably ought to question whether this is the type of car you really want to own. Whilst cheaper in PP than a damn Audi Q7 by a mile, a RR is still going to come in with repair bills in the hundreds/thousands - and definitely not the smaller bills you get with Toyota/Lexus where parts & labour are super cheap due to the abundance of those vehicles in Cambodia.

Bringing us slightly back on topic, I also own a Porsche 928 back in the UK, but the cost of buying it 20 years ago ($6k) was totally incommensurate with the maintenance & running costs (spent about $40k to date). That car was my first harsh lesson that buying a car you can afford is different from the sale price of the car. Damn that bedroom wall poster & Weird Science!! That's the reason why I'd stick with the older (2004-2009) RR 2.7 diesel & not a 2018 RR Sport Autobiography - I'm doing well, but the latter is totally out of my league, perhaps not to purchase, but certainly to run & repair - and at the end of the day, it's just a car that will potentially become obsolete in the next 10-20 years (as in cars in general, not just old ones!); not sure you could call that a good investment.

Perhaps I should set up a GoFundMe account for this - seems all the rage when you can't plan finances for shit? :-)

Spigzy's Rolls Royce Wraith GoFundMe:
https://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com/content/dam/rollsroyce-website/BlackBadge_2017/share/FB%20WRAITH.jpg
Spigzy
Hoff FanBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Cars and Bikes