ISPs for PP - Prices & General Info

Want to pick up a PC in PP? Or a laptop or a Mac? You'll find all the info in this forum, plus the latest on Cambodian ISP price plans.

Re: ISPs for PP - Prices & General Info

Postby violet » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:31 am

Can anyone tell me if I would need to commit to a six month contract or similar if getting opennet at home? What about other isp ....can it be for a month or two?
Violet the Destroyer (of forums)
violet
Suspicious Little Mad Woman

Postby walkjivefly » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:14 pm

So, a year on, what are the current thoughts on 4G vs FTTH?

Don't want to do ADSL any more, possible alternatives are [email protected] or OpenNet F6/9 FTTH. Anyone have experience with either in the western end of the city, near the airport?
Right now on my phone a Smart 4G speedtest says 3.6Mbps download, 22.8 Mbps upload and 21ms ping. But a tethered PC has ping times to google DNS varying between 70ms and several 10s of seconds and Netflix is freezing and buffering every few minutes. So [email protected] isn't looking likely to be too clever. But at the cheap end of the internet pool in Cambodia everything sucks; what is least sucky this month?
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and ...
walkjivefly
My Best Friend is my Computer

Postby walkjivefly » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:36 pm

Ooh look, a tumbleweed!
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and ...
walkjivefly

Postby spitthedog » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:57 pm

Power cuts are a pain in some parts and 4g is so cheap right now that i would think you could get 4g internet with say BOTH Cellcard and Smart (for if one of them went down) and it would still work out cheaper than fixed line IF you are not into streaming much.

$8 for 80GB per month with Cellcard and Unlimited Youtube with Metfone for $3 bucks a month?

So is fixed line internet going the way of the dodo, or is the service abit patchy?
I'm at my best in a pitch black room, hold on tight baby you'll feel the power soon.
spitthedog
Internet Addiction: it is real

Postby walkjivefly » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:11 pm

With Smart I can currently get 10Gb (valid for up to 1 week) for $1 (*1333*7#) which is pretty good price-wise, but like ADSL, the performance is very variable. Neither Opennet or Digi can answer simple questions like

Is my house in your FTTH coverage area?
Can I try FTTH for a month and if it's as crap as your ADSL cancel without incurring the $60/$50 charge for bailing early on the 2/1 year minimum contract?
(Opennet) Can I have a static IP and if so, how much does it cost?
Is your ONU just a modem or does it include routing functionality? AKA will I have to fight with double NAT? OK, this one is a little bit technical ;-)

In the meantime tethering on 4G is mostly OK upstairs, hopeless downstairs where the signal is weaker.
walkjivefly

Previous

Return to The IT and Techy Forum