Wi-Fi In Serviced Appts?

Want to pick up a PC in PP? Or a laptop or a Mac? You'll find all the info in this forum, plus the latest on Cambodian ISP price plans.

Wi-Fi In Serviced Appts?

Postby Johnsell50 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:53 pm

I notice a lot of the serviced apartments, in PP, and many of the others offer free wi-fi. Can you also get other direct connections in them if the wi-fi is too slow? Most of the wi-fi I have experienced in Asia has been spotty and depends how far from the modem your room/apartment is.
Thanks,
John
"A day without learning is a day lost!"
Johnsell50
I live above an internet cafe

Re: Wi-Fi In Serviced Appts?

Postby Playboy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:20 pm

Hi John,

It varies from place to place. A lot of the serviced apartments have a master contract with an exclusive ISP clause. However, some of the smaller apartment blocks will allow you to install your own.

If you need a good, reliable, Internet connection (work or whatever) then you would probably be best served by renting somewhere that does not offer free Wi-Fi, and then installing a connection that meets your specific requirements
"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
Playboy
Play[ing hard to get]boy

Postby Spigzy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Just grab a Smart @Home box - no wires or nonsense installations through walls/open windows required.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Spigzy
Hoff FanBoy

Postby Johnsell50 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:55 pm

Spigzy wrote:Just grab a Smart @Home box - no wires or nonsense installations through walls/open windows required.

I googled it and in looks like a box for TV that you connect to via wi-fi. I have a couple of these I already use in America. They are great for getting free TV and movies.
Johnsell50

Postby Johnsell50 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:59 pm

Playboy wrote:Hi John,

It varies from place to place. A lot of the serviced apartments have a master contract with an exclusive ISP clause. However, some of the smaller apartment blocks will allow you to install your own.

If you need a good, reliable, Internet connection (work or whatever) then you would probably be best served by renting somewhere that does not offer free Wi-Fi, and then installing a connection that meets your specific requirements

Thanks,
I like playing online poker, not for big stakes, but some of the tourneys take hours and if you are disconnected, for not very long, you are out of the tourney. Mine doesn't have to be super fast, or super reliable, but it can't be going down all the time either.
Johnsell50

Postby Spigzy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:49 pm

Johnsell50 wrote:
Spigzy wrote:Just grab a Smart @Home box - no wires or nonsense installations through walls/open windows required.

I googled it and in looks like a box for TV that you connect to via wi-fi. I have a couple of these I already use in America. They are great for getting free TV and movies.

No, it's a WiFi box using Smart's 4G network... your TV can connect to it to stream Netflix, etc. I only get 2 bars on mine at home, but no issues video streaming or downloads for PC, etc.
Spigzy
Hoff FanBoy

Postby Johnsell50 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:15 pm

No, it's a WiFi box using Smart's 4G network... your TV can connect to it to stream Netflix, etc. I only get 2 bars on mine at home, but no issues video streaming or downloads for PC, etc.[/quote]

Sounds good, TY. Do you pay a monthly charge through Smart, and do you know how much?
Johnsell50

Postby Spigzy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:22 pm

Yes, I’m paying for the premium level; it’s $18/m and I’ve not hit any limits watching YouTube, Netflix, iflix for footy, etc. you can get it all through the SmartNas app delivered to your door if the coverage in your area is good enough. :thumbsup:
Spigzy
Hoff FanBoy

Postby Johnsell50 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:57 am

Spigzy wrote:Yes, I’m paying for the premium level; it’s $18/m and I’ve not hit any limits watching YouTube, Netflix, iflix for footy, etc. you can get it all through the SmartNas app delivered to your door if the coverage in your area is good enough. :thumbsup:

Sounds great. Thank You.
John
Johnsell50

Postby maxx » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:25 pm

4g compatible devices too in case the wifi is being throttled
maxx
5 minutes to kill

Return to The IT and Techy Forum