• Advertisement
Khmeradz

Home grown Italian basil

Post your buy and sell classified ads here for free, and on Khmer440's partner classified ad site designed expressly for the expat community, www.khmeradz.com

Re: Home grown Italian basil

Postby oasisbarhatien » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:03 pm

I've found that sweet basil(or Greek,lemon or Thai for that matter) all grow incredibly well here in Vietnam.They self seed,or you can save the seed and replant for several generations.The only slight problem I've found is that the different varieties tend to cross pollinate if grown close together,so you have to separate them by quite a distance.They grow far bigger than I could ever grow them in the UK,and the only insects I've ever had attack them were leaf miners,which you can easily get rid of by pinching off the affected leaves.I make our own pesto as well,I did get pine nuts once,but they were insanely expensive.I've tried walnuts,which are fine,but cashew nuts give a very good result as well,and so do pistachio nuts
The only "Western style" bar in Ha Tien
oasisbarhatien
I live above an internet cafe

Postby patcan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:17 pm

With the right seeds, soil and tending Italian basil grows well here in phnom Penh. A lot if people prefer Italian basil for Italian food which is understandable. thanks for your input.
patcan
I've got nothing better to do

Postby patcan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:57 am

60 plants gone in a flash to one smart buyer- Tusk Bar and I believe they have rooms and a swimming pool. Stay tuned for more Italian basil in 2-3 weeks.
patcan

Postby Miguelito » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:07 am

patcan wrote:So Miquelito.....How was the basil? And how did your pesto turn out?

We added basil to almost everything for the week - it lasted longer in the fridge than I expected and I didn't even get the chance to make the basil - will have to do that with the next batch!
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby patcan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:17 pm

Glad you enjoyed it....Usually lasts 2 days in the fridge.....Not sure how Tusk Bar is going to use all the basil they bought
patcan

Postby lemo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:23 pm

if you don't mind sharing, where did you buy soil for your plantation? and fertilizer, if any..

i started growing tomatoes on my balcony, but i don't dig the soil i got from the corner plant shop (pardon the pun) - it has a good amount of small needle type objects, have no idea what they are.. plus too many clay clumps for my taste.. let alone a few fairly big rocks.
lemo
5 minutes to kill

Postby patcan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:29 pm

6-7 km up Russian Blvd. towards the airport.....5 or 6 shops on the right-hand side have flowering plants and even trees....3 in 1 soil or just soil...3000 riel for a 15 kg bag....I got some pony manure from Kep and compost myself....Tomatoes are tough to grow....I have had some success.....and presently have one flowering plant....Focusing on the Italian basils.....60 plants ready for sale in 2 weeks....Good luck!
patcan

Postby lemo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:26 am

thanks much!
god this is cheap, and tested, i wish i'd asked before shelling out big bucks for the crap at the corner store.
i heard November is the proper month to plant tomatoes.. which makes sense - lots of sun, not too hot for the next 2-3 months.
i have a shipment of fancy heirloom tomatoes seed mix in the mail, can share if they make it here.
lemo
5 minutes to kill

Postby patcan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:53 pm

Next crop of 60 Italian basil plants ready in 10 days. 7 for 5$ and 15 plants for 10$....Free delivery to the riverside area....The last harvest went in 3 orders. Thanks.
patcan

Postby logos » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:43 pm

It looks very good, well done :thumbsup:
logos
WankPoodle

Postby son of vladimir » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:27 pm

patcan wrote:I am delivering a 10 plant order to the riverside area at 5:30pm...Any other takers?

I wish you happy traffic.
son of vladimir

Postby Miguelito » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:51 pm

son of vladimir wrote:
patcan wrote:I am delivering a 10 plant order to the riverside area at 5:30pm...Any other takers?

I wish you happy traffic.

If I remember correctly, the traffic on October 5th was fine.
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby patcan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:18 pm

Yeah.....I didn't want to say anything.
patcan

Postby son of vladimir » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:53 am

dan1el wrote:I have tried it , its the best basil in town.

As long as it's not fawlty...
son of vladimir

Postby patcan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:21 am

Nothing faulty with my basil...fit for a Cockney chef.
patcan

PreviousNext

Return to Buy and Sell