Criminal background checks and Work Permits

Discussion room for teachers in Cambodia and beyond. The place to exchange your ideas and views on TEFLs, schools, salaries and the working world. Non-teachers welcome.

Criminal background checks and Work Permits

Postby Dewi » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:09 am

I can find no legislation or indication that a Criminal Background Check is currently needed to process a work permit, as is the case with other South-east Asian countries like Vietnam. I can only see things like a proof of residency, passport, work contract, and a health check as listed requirements.

I see a few threads here stating that a police clearance check is needed for spousal reasons, but again, nothing on work permits/visas. I'm getting one done here, but the notarisation, legalisation, and certification process is a bit lengthy and expensive. I do think it's worthwhile doing and it will be valid for a while in case I need it.

(^Example of the fee charged by the Cambodian Embassy here in the UK to certify a document - No mention of criminal background checks)

I was wondering if any teachers, or workers in general have been asked to provide a Criminal background/record check, or has actually had one carried out by an employer at any time. If not, do you think this should change soon?

Thanks
Dewi
440 newbie - handle with care

Re: Criminal background checks and Work Permits

Postby Lucky Lucan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:27 am

It's often been advocated by various posters here. I'd have no problem with it as I have no criminal record anyway. The problem is it's very difficult to implement, a single person can move among many jurisdictions over their life, and it's tricky trying to follow them, especially when they might change identity many times or go incognito for long periods. There have been many occasions here though where it became apparent that a simple Google search on a name which would have revealed creepy stuff wasn't even done.
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby Dewi » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:37 am

Lucky Lucan wrote: There have been many occasions here though where it became apparent that a simple Google search on a name which would have revealed creepy stuff wasn't even done.

Pretty concerning. A google search will tell you in a lot of cases if someone has a criminal past, especially if it was violent/reckless behaviour, and especially if they're from the US it seems.

I can see how a CB check would be tricky to start implementing, not to mention costly. Still, you'd think a quick google search would be cheap enough
Dewi

Postby sociopath » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:26 am

the certification they issue is only valid for three months.
only countries with corrupt police require these for things
no replying to those who misinterpret/misread what i write. this aint kindergarten
sociopath
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Postby vladimir » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:09 am

sociopath wrote:the certification they issue is only valid for three months.

LOL

Like America, the UK, Scandinavia, S. Korea...

Several NGOs here require CRCs, and I think the better schools here do, as well.

I would welcome CRCs and Academic Record checks, but the problem would be the employers refusing to implement them.

Typically, applicants have to pay for these, most places don't refund the cost. CRC was around $70 last time I checked, it obviously varies from country to country.

Likewise with Academic Record checks..the UK, Canada require the signature of the employee to conform with privacy laws. US is easy, by comparison.
Unless you believe that the future can be better, it's unlikely you will step up and take responsibility for making it so. If you assume that there's no hope, you guarantee that there will be no hope. -Noam Chomsky
vladimir
Feminist Watch List

Postby amirite » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:27 pm

vladimir wrote:

LOL

Like America, the UK, Scandinavia, S. Korea...

Several NGOs here require CRCs, and I think the better schools here do, as well.

I would welcome CRCs and Academic Record checks, but the problem would be the employers refusing to implement them.

Typically, applicants have to pay for these, most places don't refund the cost. CRC was around $70 last time I checked, it obviously varies from country to country.

Likewise with Academic Record checks..the UK, Canada require the signature of the employee to conform with privacy laws. US is easy, by comparison.

Gotta love that country Scandinavia.

But on a serious note, how do you get a background check in Cambodia. Roll up to the local police station and offer them a tenner?
amirite
I live above an internet cafe

Postby vladimir » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:20 pm

amirite wrote:Gotta love that country Scandinavia.

Read the sentence that preceded it. It'says: 'only countries' plural....Scandinavia is a group of countries, yes? I don't see the problem.

amirite wrote:But on a serious note, how do you get a background check in Cambodia. Roll up to the local police station and offer them a tenner?

You wouldn't need one from here unless you were going from here to, say, S. Korea. In that case, I'd imagine it would cost you way more than a 'tenner'.

Generally you'd need to get a CRC from your home country to satisfy any school here which requires one.

You can Google the process, I imagine it's not cheap.

Most people get them before they leave home.
Unless you believe that the future can be better, it's unlikely you will step up and take responsibility for making it so. If you assume that there's no hope, you guarantee that there will be no hope. -Noam Chomsky
vladimir
Feminist Watch List

Postby PSD_Kiwi » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:30 pm

amirite wrote:[
But on a serious note, how do you get a background check in Cambodia. Roll up to the local police station and offer them a tenner?

Hahaha...If only it were that simple!

viewtopic.php?t=58202#p839379
A lot of people like to fool you and say that you’re not smart if you never went to college, but common sense rules over everything. That’s what I learned from selling crack. -Snoop Dogg
PSD_Kiwi
Penitus In Meus Brain , Universitas Tune

Postby Mongoose » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:41 pm

I went to a lawyer. Paid $160 USD

You need:
2 passport photos
Copy of your passport
Residency letter

All have to translated into Khmer.

Takes a few days to process but worth the wait.

Tried doing this alone, but the process was too confusing.
Mongoose

Postby AnassRamaIV » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:34 pm

good luck with UK

nobody knows is it NSPCC, capitas RBS , DBS? ACRO? NOBODY KNOWS. what a joke. costs have multiplied to boot. no more free notarisation

have to lie about living in uk etc

utter farce
AnassRamaIV
5 minutes to kill

Return to The Staff Room