What's the current situation on teaching with a TEFL but no degree?

Discussion room for teachers in Cambodia and beyond. The place to exchange your ideas and views on TEFLs, schools, salaries and the working world. Non-teachers welcome.

What's the current situation on teaching with a TEFL but no degree?

Postby Bennu » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:07 am

Hi folks! I've been getting a lot of conflicting information lately. I'm moving to Cambodia in February and have a TEFL and CTEYL, but no degree or teaching experience. I plan to be there long-term and take the job seriously and help the students however I can. I'm not going there to fund some party lifestyle.

I've been scouring forums and YouTube channels and I can't seem to find clarity on finding jobs in my situation. I see a lot of scruffy backpackers seeming to get jobs in no time, and then I see professional, experienced teachers with degrees complaining that they can't find work.

Can anyone help clarify the truth of the situation? I already have my plane ticket, I've been studying and researching my ass off, and I'm afraid of getting there only to find that all that time, money, and effort have been wasted.
Bennu
440 newbie - handle with care

Re: What's the current situation on teaching with a TEFL but no degree?

Postby batshitcrazyweirdo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:35 am

Bennu wrote:Hi folks! I've been getting a lot of conflicting information lately. I'm moving to Cambodia in February and have a TEFL and CTEYL, but no degree or teaching experience. I plan to be there long-term and take the job seriously and help the students however I can. I'm not going there to fund some party lifestyle.

I've been scouring forums and YouTube channels and I can't seem to find clarity on finding jobs in my situation. I see a lot of scruffy backpackers seeming to get jobs in no time, and then I see professional, experienced teachers with degrees complaining that they can't find work.

Can anyone help clarify the truth of the situation? I already have my plane ticket, I've been studying and researching my ass off, and I'm afraid of getting there only to find that all that time, money, and effort have been wasted.

Come forth, and you shall be rewarded. Don't be afraid. Be like a lion.

I love bitches, n rehabilitate witches.
batshitcrazyweirdo
Batshit Crazy Weirdo

Postby Bennu » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:15 am

batshitcrazyweirdo wrote:
Bennu wrote:Hi folks! I've been getting a lot of conflicting information lately. I'm moving to Cambodia in February and have a TEFL and CTEYL, but no degree or teaching experience. I plan to be there long-term and take the job seriously and help the students however I can. I'm not going there to fund some party lifestyle.

Come forth, and you shall be rewarded. Don't be afraid. Be like a lion.

While that didn't directly answer the question, it strangely helps. Thank you! Guess I should sack up and just do it.
Bennu
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby johntpartee » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:44 am

What is your gender and age?
johntpartee
I live above an internet cafe

Postby simon44 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:33 pm

[sarcasm]
Employment is based on a points system, according to your age, gender, skin colour and looks. Viz:

Female, under 30 years old, white skin, pretty = 10 points
Female, under 30 years old, white skin, ugly = 9 points
Female, under 30 years old, tan skin, pretty = 8 points
Female, under 30 years old, tan skin, ugly = 7 points
Female, over 30 years old, 3-6 points (according to above criteria)
Male, under 30 years old, white skin, handsome = 2 points
Male under 30 years old, white skin, ugly = 1 point

Any other combinations of gender, age, skin colour and looks generally attract negative points and it's a waste of time to apply for the job...

Oh, your actual teaching qualifications and teaching experience are irrelevant if you attain positive points.
[/sarcasm]
simon44
I live above an internet cafe

Return to The Staff Room