Language Corps: what do you think?

Discussion room for teachers in Cambodia and beyond. The place to exchange your ideas and views on TEFLs, schools, salaries and the working world. Non-teachers welcome.

Re: Language Corps: what do you think?

Postby vladimir » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:24 pm

Exactly.

In fact, I think it should be called the 'entued industry ', as the primary stress is on entertainment, not education.
Unless you believe that the future can be better, it's unlikely you will step up and take responsibility for making it so. If you assume that there's no hope, you guarantee that there will be no hope. -Noam Chomsky
vladimir
Feminist Watch List

Postby Buscador » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:52 pm

Pecahead wrote:In my research of programs to pursue, it seems that CELTA is what you should go for if you're considering TESOL as a career path. If you're considering doing a one-year gap program and using the money you make from teaching to support your travels for awhile, then maybe a more relaxed TESOL certification program is for you. A matter of personal preference.

As someone who looked into this several years ago when I was getting really burned out on IT, I would say you are spot on. And if you truly want to make a career of it, I'd say an M.Ed or similar combined with teacher certification in your home country is well worth the time and money.
Buscador
A Moment of Clarity

Postby andyinasia » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:17 pm

Retard wrote:So, how many schools want "teachers" and which schools are those?

A few do, but none are prepared to pay.
I came, I argued, I'm out
andyinasia
20,000 Posts; I need professional help !

Postby milkywaygirl » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:25 am

Moving to Sihanoukville in February. Sounds like CELTA is the way to go.Does anyone know if CELTA is available anywhere in Cambodia OR does anyone have a URL where a list of CELTA courses are available?
milkywaygirl
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby DieHard » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:51 am

There is no CELTA course in Cambodia, but Bangkok and Saigon have it.
http://www.cambridgeesol.org/index.html
Truth. Beauty. Justice.
DieHard
I live above an internet cafe

Postby cambod » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:18 pm

Well, if someone is retarded enough to pay MORE money for a LanguageCorps certificate rather than take a cheaper CELTA through Cambridge University I feel they hardly deserve $5 per hour, lol...

Seriously though, it should be a no-brainer for anyone...

Here is a cool site that let's u search for tefl/tesol/celta courses all over the world by different criterias, including countries, prices, cert names, etc....

Also, people are talking about LC being "accepted", but u should be more concerned if it's "preferred."
cambod
Twatflannel First Class

Postby cambod » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:20 pm

Ohhh... The site...

www.cactustefl.com

And no, I have NOTHING to do with that site, or any other site on the entire web....
cambod
Twatflannel First Class

Postby Hot_Pink_Urinal_Mint » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:41 am

Cactus are 'middlemen', why give them any of your money, go directly to the school. ILA in Saigon run the CELTA, as do IH in Bangkok. However, as Hanky said, why get the CELTA to teach privates in Sihanoukville? You will never recoup the money. Just research some methodology on the internet. The most common are T.T.T - Test, Teach, Test and P.P.P - Presentation, Practice, Production.
Hot_Pink_Urinal_Mint
I have some social problems

Postby hanky » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:59 am

Hot_Pink_Urinal_Mint wrote: However, as Hanky said, why get the CELTA to teach privates in Sihanoukville?

I'm not sure I said anything like that, I mentioned something about Language Corps doing a jaunt to the beach as part of their "training."
Who Gives a Fuck?
hanky
I have attained enlightenment

Re: Re: Language Corps: what do you think?

Postby cambod » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:52 am

Hot_Pink_Urinal_Mint wrote:Cactus are 'middlemen', why give them any of your money, go directly to the school.

Um, last I checked it was FREE to do a search on their site, and it might even be cheaper through them....
cambod
Twatflannel First Class

Postby violet » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:31 pm

cambod wrote:Also, people are talking about LC being "accepted", but u should be more concerned if it's "preferred."

good point for those of us who care about being quality English Language Instructors.... sadly, many don't care and just want to be reassured they can get a job.
violet
Suspicious Little Mad Woman

Postby Jd1776 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:40 am

I completed a LanguageCorps program in PP and would actually highly recommend it. It's a pretty good starting point for someone who is looking to teach English abroad and wants to expand their understanding of teaching methodology and practical application. The TESOL course was useful, provided me with a strong foundation for English teaching, both in terms of lesson planning and in-classroom
teaching, and I definitely left the class with way more confidence.

I completed the LanguageCorps TESOL course in 2007. They helped me connect with Pannasastra University of Cambodia afterwards, and I was given a teaching position on the spot and started making decent money, especially after I started doing some tutoring on the side (LC staff also hooked me up with that.) I went on to teach in Cambodia for over two years, Korea for a brief stint, and as a result, went on to complete a Fulbright English Teaching Assignment with the US Department of State in Vietnam.

So, is LanguageCorps or a program like it a necessity for everyone? Obviously not. But is it a viable option for people that want to work abroad but don’t really know where to start? I’d say so.
Jd1776

Postby maiorica » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:43 pm

I'm surprised people are paying in excess of 1500usd for these certificates. I teach a TESOL training course for a u.s.-based university in Saigon and our school charges around 750usd for the course. I'm not claiming our TESOl program is the best around (it's not), but I haven't seen our grads having any trouble finding work in the 17-20usd/hour range. Often, they go teach high school science, history, or some other subject at 20 to 30usd/hour in addition to evening English teaching.

The real trick for them is passing the TESOL course, because about 40% of our students fail on their first try. They are, however, invited to re-take the course as many times as necessary at no extra cost.
maiorica

Postby cambod » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:44 pm

maiorica wrote:I'm surprised people are paying in excess of 1500usd for these certificates. I teach a TESOL training course for a u.s.-based university in Saigon and our school charges around 750usd for the course. I'm not claiming our TESOl program is the best around (it's not), but I haven't seen our grads having any trouble finding work in the 17-20usd/hour range. Often, they go teach high school science, history, or some other subject at 20 to 30usd/hour in addition to evening English teaching.

The real trick for them is passing the TESOL course, because about 40% of our students fail on their first try. They are, however, invited to re-take the course as many times as necessary at no extra cost.

Agreed. A CELTA from Cambridge Universiry is cheaper than $1500, yet people sign up for crappy certs that cost more everyday.... Good advertising...
cambod
Twatflannel First Class

Postby violet » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:23 am

A belated update.
LanguageCorp is defunct after the ?owner? ?one of the business partners? had a motorcycle accident a year or so ago. There was a thread about it.
He owes a couple of his longstanding khmer staff a couple of grand each but his head injuries from the accident have left him incapable of earning a living.
violet
Suspicious Little Mad Woman

PreviousNext

Return to The Staff Room