Salary for Dean of the Hospitality & Tourism School?

Discussion room for teachers in Cambodia and beyond. The place to exchange your ideas and views on TEFLs, schools, salaries and the working world. Non-teachers welcome.

Postby simon44 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:36 pm

I found this job vacancy:

https://reliefweb.int/job/2262179/dean-hospitality-and-tourism-school

The job spec and applicant requirements seem to have been written for me (with 12 years building and managing hotels in Thailand, 5 years teaching or as school Principal in Myanmar and Laos, and a couple of years of non-profit work in the educational sector.

But there is no mention of salary...

For those who live in PP and 'have a feel' for education vacancies, what salary do you think this job would offer? Is it a grand job title, but with a shitty salary? I earn $3,000 net per month in Myanmar as a KG teacher, and although this job title sounds very respectable, I don't want to waste my time if it is just a 'white-face puppet' job (been there, done that).
simon44
I live above an internet cafe

Re: Salary for Dean of the Hospitality & Tourism School?

Postby pedros » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:39 pm

Isn't kindergarten to Dean of tourism and hospitality a bit of a switch? Not being funny, just saying.

I'd guess $2000 max, but happy to be wrong.
Under threat of legal action
pedros
I'm on 3000; na na, na na na

Postby simon44 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Isn't kindergarten to Dean of tourism and hospitality a bit of a switch? Not being funny, just saying.

LoL, sounds it, but the job requirement seeks someone with teaching and/or hospitality experience. I'm currently a KG teacher, but previously taught teenagers and adults, previously managed a school as the Headmaster and Director, previously was Assistant Principal at another school, and previously built and managed 4 small hotels. Oh, I also was a T&H lecturer.

But your guess of $2,000 is along the lines of what I was thinking ==> better for me to stay in my current job.
simon44

Postby Phuket2006 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:50 pm

why not just ask them??
"We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer." HST
Phuket2006
The Internet is my Friend

Postby simon44 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:05 pm

why not just ask them??

'Cos they are very likely not to tell me, (based on my previous job-application experience in Asia). I note this job is advertised on several different web-sites without any salary details.

Anyway, I also note that the school is owned by a French NGO. A salary better than $3,000 net per month? No chance. I'll pass.
simon44

Postby violet » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Am I wrong in thinking phuketdick2000 has never had a position where he had to negotiate salary and therefore obviously doesn’t understand that it is quite common not to state salary in many job advertisments and not the usual practise to ask what the salary is in the pre/early stages of a job application. It can actually cost a person a chance of securing the job to ask that at the ‘wrong’ time.

I understand, and appreciate, that the person (...cough) who set up the Cambodia Jobs FB group has a policy that salary/expected salary should be stated in posts but it really isn’t done all over the world ( yes, i realise that is no argument for operating differently)
violet
Suspicious Little Mad Woman

Postby logos » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:51 pm

You might think your profile is a match, but they might be more after someone with real hotel/top restaurant HR experience than "building and managing" a bunch of small places.

No disrespect intended but the fact that you switched industries proves you're no real hospitality professional. I may be wrong but I doubt Hanno would disagree. Otoh such a real pro would certainly command at least 4k, even in Cambodia.
logos
WankPoodle

Postby violet » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:53 pm

logos wrote:You might think your profile is a match, but they might be more after someone with real hotel/top restaurant HR experience than "building and managing" a bunch of small places.

No disrespect intended but the fact that you switched industries proves you're no real hospitality professional. I may be wrong but I doubt Hanno would disagree. Otoh such a real pro would certainly command at least 4k, even in Cambodia.

The notion of switching industries being a megative is very ‘last generation’
violet

Postby logos » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:04 pm

That's besides the point. If I want to hire a pro I'm not interested in self-taught dilettantes.
logos
WankPoodle

Postby ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:13 pm

violet wrote:Am I wrong in thinking phuketdick2000 has never had a position where he had to negotiate salary and therefore obviously doesn’t understand that it is quite common not to state salary in many job advertisments and not the usual practise to ask what the salary is in the pre/early stages of a job application. It can actually cost a person a chance of securing the job to ask that at the ‘wrong’ time.

I understand, and appreciate, that the person (...cough) who set up the Cambodia Jobs FB group has a policy that salary/expected salary should be stated in posts but it really isn’t done all over the world ( yes, i realise that is no argument for operating differently)

But it’s absolutely fair to ask for an indicative salary or the salary range. Anyone potential employer who is unwilling to release that information will limit the number of applicants. Who wants to waste their time applying for something which would end up being a step down salary wise.
PhucketR’s comment is absolutely fair and reasonable.
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ
A Moment of Clarity

Postby Miguelito » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:18 pm

violet wrote:Am I wrong in thinking phuketdick2000 has never had a position where he had to negotiate salary and therefore obviously doesn’t understand that it is quite common not to state salary in many job advertisments and not the usual practise to ask what the salary is in the pre/early stages of a job application. It can actually cost a person a chance of securing the job to ask that at the ‘wrong’ time.

Agreed and you can certainly shoot yourself in foot, especially when they ask "how much are you currently making" or "how much are you expecting to get?" I think it's certainly logical to ask here what people think a reasonable salary for a position is.
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby Phuket2006 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Kinda correct, any jobs i have had, ( except those i had when i was under 30 and never in se asia) , they came to me and i told them what i wanted.

so ur saying u apply for a job not knowing what they are going to pay you? Wow
"We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer." HST
Phuket2006
The Internet is my Friend

Postby violet » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:24 pm

ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ wrote:

But it’s absolutely fair to ask for an indicative salary or the salary range. Anyone potential employer who is unwilling to release that information will limit the number of applicants. Who wants to waste their time applying for something which would end up being a step down salary wise.
PhucketR’s comment is absolutely fair and reasonable.

I totally agree it is fair to ask for indicative salary on the forum or elsewhere.
violet

Postby violet » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:26 pm

Phuket2006 wrote:

Kinda correct, any jobs i have had, ( except those i had when i was under 30 and never in se asia) , they came to me and i told them what i wanted.

so ur saying u apply for a job not knowing what they are going to pay you? Wow

My point is it isn’t an uncommon situation in the corporate world, so a person needs to have a good idea of what the salary range is and then negotiate.
violet

Postby violet » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Miguelito wrote:

Agreed and you can certainly shoot yourself in foot, especially when they ask "how much are you currently making" or "how much are you expecting to get?" I think it's certainly logical to ask here what people think a reasonable salary for a position is.

Yeah, it sux when the employer keads the negotiation by having the employee have first bid ... esp. when the employer is a seasoned salesperson.
violet

Next

Return to The Staff Room