Online TEFL first, CELTA later?

Discussion room for teachers in Cambodia and beyond. The place to exchange your ideas and views on TEFLs, schools, salaries and the working world. Non-teachers welcome.

Re: Online TEFL first, CELTA later?

Postby Aussie Khmer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:09 pm

bobbee wrote:If ACE operates the same way as their Vietnamese schools, then it's a fixed pay scale based on years of experience post qualification.

Thanks. Makes logical sense to me. I can't imagine getting much more working at ACE even if I do incredibly well at their CELTA course until I have some experience. And apart from ACE it appears the majority of school wouldn't care. I can always do CELTA at a later date after some experience if I see the benefit.

Cheers...
Aussie Khmer
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby simon44 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:12 pm

But actually teaching to large classes of kids?

Some love it, some hate it. A 'real' school should not have large classes. My KG and lower primary grades vary between 5 - 17 children. My secondary English and Science between 8 - 17 students. The most kids I've taught in one class at a 'poor' school was more than 100 - actually lots of fun.

I prefer to teach ESL to the young kids because.. well.. I'm a lazy sod! Preparing ESL lessons for young students takes much less effort than planning a secondary grade Science class, with the requirement to do continual assessment, grading etc, homework blah blah blah.

Truth is, I only teach Science/STEM after the school boss realised that I knew way, way more about engineering, Maths,STEM, technology, internet, coding etc than any of her existing technical teachers, (I told her I only wanted to teach ESL to the young kids again this year, and I still do teach grades 3 and 4, but she added on the science, but also cut my in-class hours to only 14 hours a week, still with a full-time salary...)
simon44
I live above an internet cafe

Postby JimSocks » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:10 pm

a tefl is like $40 bucks on groupon and teaches you the basics. i took it, they had video examples, pretty sure anyone could do what those guys did. a celta is like a couple grand. you can do the tefl in two weeks, 1 hour aday. doesn't hurt
JimSocks
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Postby Aussie Khmer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:13 pm

simon44 wrote:
But actually teaching to large classes of kids?

Some love it, some hate it. A 'real' school should not have large classes. My KG and lower primary grades vary between 5 - 17 children. My secondary English and Science between 8 - 17 students. The most kids I've taught in one class at a 'poor' school was more than 100 - actually lots of fun.

I prefer to teach ESL to the young kids because.. well.. I'm a lazy sod! Preparing ESL lessons for young students takes much less effort than planning a secondary grade Science class, with the requirement to do continual assessment, grading etc, homework blah blah blah.

Truth is, I only teach Science/STEM after the school boss realised that I knew way, way more about engineering, Maths,STEM, technology, internet, coding etc than any of her existing technical teachers, (I told her I only wanted to teach ESL to the young kids again this year, and I still do teach grades 3 and 4, but she added on the science, but also cut my in-class hours to only 14 hours a week, still with a full-time salary...)

Damn brother you really did land back on your feet hahaha. I bet you have a lot of energy when teaching those 14hrs! I'm already tired of seeing schools advertising jobs on the English teachers FB pages with 40hrs (up to 6 classes a day), teaching up to 28 kids in a class starting at 800p/m. Fuck me... and they want experience with PGCE as well?
Aussie Khmer
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby simon44 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:27 am

Before my second return to teach in Myanmar (I taught there around 2012/2013, then Laos), I was in PP looking for a teaching job.

I got absolutely nowhere, despite visiting many schools. Not a single interview, which considering how shitty many of the teaching jobs are, was actually a good thing, since I went back to Myanmar and got a well-paid job in a private 'international' school. (International, in that maybe 5% of the students are not Myanmar locals).

I'd like to return to live in Thailand, but there is no way that I can land a decent job (too old etc). So my plans are to stay in Myanmar for the forseeable future. I'm learning Burmese right now, seems a little easier to learn than Thai.
simon44
I live above an internet cafe

Previous

Return to The Staff Room