Real Estate

A heavily-moderated forum containing essential information on various aspects of Cambodia. Only moderators can create threads, but all users can post. Questions should be asked in the Questions and Answers forum.

Real Estate

Postby Sambo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:42 pm

Buying/selling real estate in the Kingdom? What are the requirements for a Westerner? What Cambodia-based lawyers can assist? What are the going rates for a given area?
Sambo
"440 Admin, who me? No not me, TAXI!"

Re: Real Estate

Postby vladimir » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:53 am

I would urge anyone renting to read their lease very carefully, a friend of mine was paying $1500/month and had to put up with endless problems because the security guards behaved like idiots and to contact the owner took ages, and usually he got little/no help too late.When he finally terminated the lease, then all of a sudden people jumped.

His water was cut off for almost two days, no notification/assistance, nada. $1500/month and they don't even have a generator for power outages.
Unless you believe that the future can be better, it's unlikely you will step up and take responsibility for making it so. If you assume that there's no hope, you guarantee that there will be no hope. -Noam Chomsky
vladimir
Feminist Watch List

Postby JDonner » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

After a cursory online review of rental prices for a flat there, I cannot believe people are paying this prices for living in Cambodia. I pay less than half what they are asking for a furnished two bedroom here in Philippines and I am only 30 m from a clean beach. Curious as to how it happened that the prices are so inflated there. $400 and up for a furnished one bedroom? That's USA prices in many cities.
JDonner
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby Daneel » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:24 pm

JDonner, the reason you see places like that advertised online is because they are so much higher than the norm, so they have to go online to try to find renters. One bedroom apartments can be easily had for $200-$300 in Phnom Penh, and less than that in other places. You can even find unfurnished 1 bedroom apartments for under $150 in Phnom Penh, and studios can be as cheap as $60-$80 without air conditioning. Prices are pretty comparable to the Philippines. I knew plenty of expats paying $3,000+ for apartments in Makati when I worked in Manila.

Crud, just realized I replied to a 5 month old post. :stupid:
Daneel
I live above an internet cafe

Postby Lucky Lucan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:53 pm

JDonner wrote: $400 and up for a furnished one bedroom? That's USA prices in many cities.

Yeah, like maybe Detroit and Baltimore.
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby logos » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:31 am

The cheap Charlies Brigade is back at it again with a vengeance. :-D

Guys, time to realise that not everybody is willing to leave in uncomfortable, noisy digs one hour away from civilisation in order to save a couple of hundred buck a month. What's the point of living in Cambodia if you can't live it up a little ?
logos
WankPoodle

Return to Essential Information