TEFL

A heavily-moderated forum containing essential information on various aspects of Cambodia. Only moderators can create threads, but all users can post. Questions should be asked in the Questions and Answers forum.

Re: TEFL

Postby vladimir » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:02 pm

Uncle Monty wrote:I used to enjoy my holidays to Broadstairs, Margate and Ramsgate in the early-mid 70s. I also lived in Kent at the time but Welling is really London. Kent has changed a lot since then, and has become another Essex.

There are also (or used to be) beautiful holiday seaside towns called Margate and Ramsgate in South Africa, on the coast of KwaZulu-Natal, about 80km south of Durban.
'I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.'
vladimir
The 440 PunMaster General

Postby Uncle Monty » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:40 pm

vladimir wrote:
Uncle Monty wrote:I used to enjoy my holidays to Broadstairs, Margate and Ramsgate in the early-mid 70s. I also lived in Kent at the time but Welling is really London. Kent has changed a lot since then, and has become another Essex.

There are also (or used to be) beautiful holiday seaside towns called Margate and Ramsgate in South Africa, on the coast of KwaZulu-Natal, about 80km south of Durban.

Hope you enjoyed the candy floss, sandcastles, donkey rides and pinball machines in those places. As I did.
Dictated to a slave and sent by carrier pigeon.
Uncle Monty
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates

Postby Captain Bonez » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:26 pm

good old bembon brothers with the old big wheel (i think they shipped that thing to mexico), the looping star, and of course the scenic railway, i shed a tear when i found out it had been torched.
̿ ̿'̿'̿\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿

If you say "Snooky" instead of "Sihanoukville" it's because you're a fucking bogan cunt.
Captain Bonez
Fluffy Bunny

Location: Where the unstoppable force meets the immovable object

Postby goodtwin » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:20 pm

Some how this string went from TEFL courses to English geography. But an answer about TESL courses, there aren't very many in Cambodia. I did Language Corp. It was okay, but it was probably a bit expensive for what you get.
goodtwin
I've got nothing better to do

Postby vladimir » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:30 pm

goodtwin wrote:Some how this string went from TEFL courses to English geography. But an answer about TESL courses, there aren't very many in Cambodia. I did Language Corp. It was okay, but it was probably a bit expensive for what you get.

Just a bit.
'I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.'
vladimir
The 440 PunMaster General

Postby digiboy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:35 pm

Can't with have a good schools/bad schools thread...?

(if we don't already)
digiboy
I Have Not Been Outside Today

Postby Juan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:23 pm

And what about non-native white English teachers? How much could I get from schools here if I don't have any CELTA or anything like that, but finished an MA in Linguistics and have around three years of private tutoring? To give you an idea of my own level of English, I passed TOEFL scoring 113/120, but that was in 2008, so I guess my English has improved since then.
Juan
5 minutes to kill

Postby Khmer Kid » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:02 pm

I would avoid GIS and Golden Gate.

GIS is now asking teachers to give a two month advance notice before quitting plus if they don't they don't get paid the final month plus the school, in the contract, is specifing they will take the teacher to court.

Too many teachers I know have gone through their revolving door lasting only one month, which is usually after payday, only to discover that the pay they were promised was not there.

One teacher was promised $12 an hour for 30 hours and was only paid for less than 18 despite being required to be at the school for 45 hours per week. The owner said she didn't want to talk to him after he complained. Many other teachers have said the same thing.

Golden Gate now is promising teachers $1500-2000 per month salary. They want licensed teachers, but will take anyone. They then say after stating the high salary that the hourly rate is $11 and then say they pay half time, 3/4 time etc...you aren't sure which one you are being paid until payday when they ask you how much you were promised and then say it is wrong and pay you the lower prevailing wage.

If you complain, they will find another teacher. You will be out of the money they owe you. Many of the local national staff there does not like working there either. Most of the teachers there have been there less than a year and those who have been their longer keep their heads low to the ground.

Buyer beware.....
Khmer Kid

Postby cambod » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Khmer Kid wrote:I would avoid GIS and Golden Gate.

GIS is now asking teachers to give a two month advance notice before quitting plus if they don't they don't get paid the final month plus the school, in the contract, is specifing they will take the teacher to court.

Too many teachers I know have gone through their revolving door lasting only one month, which is usually after payday, only to discover that the pay they were promised was not there.

One teacher was promised $12 an hour for 30 hours and was only paid for less than 18 despite being required to be at the school for 45 hours per week. The owner said she didn't want to talk to him after he complained. Many other teachers have said the same thing.

Golden Gate now is promising teachers $1500-2000 per month salary. They want licensed teachers, but will take anyone. They then say after stating the high salary that the hourly rate is $11 and then say they pay half time, 3/4 time etc...you aren't sure which one you are being paid until payday when they ask you how much you were promised and then say it is wrong and pay you the lower prevailing wage.

If you complain, they will find another teacher. You will be out of the money they owe you. Many of the local national staff there does not like working there either. Most of the teachers there have been there less than a year and those who have been their longer keep their heads low to the ground.

Buyer beware.....

Yeah, 2 avoid-at-all-costs schools...
cambod
Twatflannel First Class

Postby andyinasia » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Khmer Kid wrote:I would avoid GIS and Golden Gate.

Buyer beware.....

Now that's what I call a PROPER post!
Ain't nobody got time for that!
andyinasia
440 is hard-wired into my eyes

Postby Jessb52 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:15 pm

I knew GIS was like that, but I heard Golden Gate was one of the good guys.....sad!
Cambodia's answer to Bet Lynch
Jessb52
I need professional help

Postby cambod » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:46 pm

Jessb52 wrote:I knew GIS was like that, but I heard Golden Gate was one of the good guys.....sad!

Yeah, Golden Gate has been hit or miss over the years, but this HIS seems to be a MISS every time!
cambod
Twatflannel First Class

Postby keeping_it_riel » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:57 pm

Like I've said before, avoid any school owned/managed by Khmers.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Goodnight Cambodia and good mental health.
keeping_it_riel
White Devil

Postby horace » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:26 pm

keeping_it_riel wrote:Like I've said before, avoid any school owned/managed by Khmers.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Or Singaporeans
k440, something to do when you're pissed.
horace
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Postby Khmer Kid » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:22 pm

School for Future Leaders is hosting a 6 week TESOL course beginning this week. English will be at 12.30pm to 3:00pm. Total price is $200. The address is #17 St. 528 and 287 across from Western University near Long Beach Plaza Hotel. The instructor is a licensed US Teacher with a Masters Degree in ESL.

If you are intersted stop by before Friday or Saturday morning to register.
Khmer Kid

PreviousNext

Return to Essential Information