TEFL

A heavily-moderated forum containing essential information on various aspects of Cambodia. Only moderators can create threads, but all users can post. Questions should be asked in the Questions and Answers forum.

Re: TEFL

Postby Dabido65 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:38 pm

billybonkers wrote:i know it has been asked before but no one has ansered it yet what is the best tefl course in phnom phnom if you had to do one looking at 3 different ones language corps, 360tefl, cactus?

I think almost everyone recommends doing the CELTA course, but it isn't run in Cambodia yet. As AiA said the other night, there is one on the way, but it might be some ways off. Vietnam (Hanoi, Hochi Min City) and Thailand (Bangkok, Phuket) are countries close by that run CELTA courses.

http://www.cambridgeenglish.org
User avatar
Dabido65
I live above an internet cafe
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:52 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: TEFL

Postby KL'sFolly » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:45 pm

Dabido65 wrote:
billybonkers wrote:i know it has been asked before but no one has ansered it yet what is the best tefl course in phnom phnom if you had to do one looking at 3 different ones language corps, 360tefl, cactus?

I think almost everyone recommends doing the CELTA course, but it isn't run in Cambodia yet. As AiA said the other night, there is one on the way, but it might be some ways off. Vietnam (Hanoi, Hochi Min City) and Thailand (Bangkok, Phuket) are countries close by that run CELTA courses.


For which place is the forthcoming Celta course 'on the way' ? In my limited experience, every such attempt here has failed.
Don't grow up - it's a trick!
User avatar
KL'sFolly
I have Cheap Mobile Internet
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:10 pm
Location: Out of reach - too far from a decent ale!

Re: TEFL

Postby Dabido65 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:03 pm

KL'sFolly wrote:
Dabido65 wrote:
billybonkers wrote:i know it has been asked before but no one has ansered it yet what is the best tefl course in phnom phnom if you had to do one looking at 3 different ones language corps, 360tefl, cactus?

I think almost everyone recommends doing the CELTA course, but it isn't run in Cambodia yet. As AiA said the other night, there is one on the way, but it might be some ways off. Vietnam (Hanoi, Hochi Min City) and Thailand (Bangkok, Phuket) are countries close by that run CELTA courses.


For which place is the forthcoming Celta course 'on the way' ? In my limited experience, every such attempt here has failed.

Not sure. The conversation went like this:

andyinasia wrote:
Dabido65 wrote:
andyinasia wrote:
Dabido65 wrote:
cambod wrote:Vietnam. Thailand. Lots of places around the world.

Kewl. Thanks. Yeah, I knew of the ones in Vietnam and Thailand. (And there is a school starting a CELTA course in about 2 weeks here in Perth). I couldn't find any in Cambodia (at least not listed on line), so I thought I'd ask in case there was a school that ran one in Phnom Penh or something.



Not yet. It's in the pipeline.

Thanks, Andy!



No timescale yet - don't be holding onto your knickers if you want to do it in the next few months.
User avatar
Dabido65
I live above an internet cafe
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:52 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: TEFL

Postby cambod » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:12 pm

billybonkers wrote:i know it has been asked before but no one has ansered it yet what is the best tefl course in phnom phnom if you had to do one looking at 3 different ones language corps, 360tefl, cactus?


Best advice I can give is to send the poster, Bosco, a PM. He should be able to tell you the best course on offer in Cambodia, and which CELTA location outside Cambodia is best for you.

He's very pro-CELTA so I'm guessing he'll tell you the same as we have, but definitely PM him anyways.
cambod
Twatflannel First Class
 
Posts: 18067
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:42 am

Re: TEFL

Postby billybonkers » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:35 pm

Ok thanks
billybonkers
I've got nothing better to do
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:44 pm

Re: TEFL

Postby mynameisphil » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:19 am

Is there a best/worst time of year to look for teaching jobs in Cambodia?

I've read a few contradictory answers, some say each school has a different term time and others say avoid certain months like June/July.
mynameisphil
I've got nothing better to do
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:25 am

Re: TEFL

Postby mynameisphil » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:58 am

mynameisphil wrote:Is there a best/worst time of year to look for teaching jobs in Cambodia?

I've read a few contradictory answers, some say each school has a different term time and others say avoid certain months like June/July.


Anyone?
mynameisphil
I've got nothing better to do
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:25 am

Re: TEFL

Postby Captain Bonez » Mon May 05, 2014 1:49 am

the only time you wouldnt want to look for a job maybe would be around the big (3+ days) holidays, especially khmer new year. all the schools here have different times for term ending/starting as well so theres no set time of for term breaks. just have to do the legwork and go round the schools finding out what their deal is


2014

‐ 01 January International New year day 1 day off
‐ 07 January Victory over genocide day 1 day off
‐ 14 February Meak Bochea day 1 day off
‐ 08 March International women’s day 1 day off
‐ 14‐15‐16 April Khmer new year day 3 days off
‐ 01 May International labour day 1 day off
‐ 13 May Visak Bochea day 1 day off
‐ 13‐14‐15 May King Norodom Sihamoni’s birth day 3 days off
‐ 17 May Royal plowing ceremony day 1 day off
‐ 01 June International children day 1 day off
‐ 18 June Queen Norodom Monineath Sihanouk’s birth day 1 day off
‐ 22‐23‐24 September Pchum Ben day 3 days off
‐ 24 September Constitutional day 1 day off
‐ 15 October Commemoration day of Former King Norodom Sihanouk 1 day off
‐ 23 October Paris peace accord 1 days off
‐ 29 October King Norodom Sihakmoni’s coronation day 1 day off
‐ 05‐06‐07 November Water festival 3 days off
‐ 09 November Independent day 1 day off
‐ 10 December International human rights day 1 day off
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ̿ ̿'̿'̿\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ٩(×̯×)۶

If you were to make a list of all the fucked up, retarded, inept, stupid shit you shouldn't do on the roads, that would actually turn out to be the Cambodian handbook on how to drive.
User avatar
Captain Bonez
Fluffy Bunny
 
Posts: 5443
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:14 pm
Location: Where the unstoppable force meets the immovable object

Re: TEFL

Postby gavinmac » Mon May 05, 2014 2:19 am

Thanks. Is Water Festival definitely from November 5-7? It looks like it is, there is some competing information online though, one website has it as the last weekend of the month.

I'm planning some travel for the end of the year and obviously want to be as far away from it as possible, if it happens.
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
User avatar
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003
 
Posts: 19492
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:15 pm

Re: TEFL

Postby Satan ™ » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:49 pm

If you like taking drugs whilst you work and want to earn $9 an hour then Pannasastra University (PUC) has plenty of job opportunities :thumbsup:
Fuck with me and you'll get AIDS
User avatar
Satan ™
K440 Knight
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:53 am
Location: Hell

Re: TEFL

Postby Blluedevil » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:49 pm

Is there any updated information on BELTEI? Have they improved since they original post from four years ago?
Blluedevil
440 newbie - handle with care
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:59 pm

Re: TEFL

Postby KPTIC » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:48 am

Blluedevil wrote:Is there any updated information on BELTEI? Have they improved since they original post from four years ago?


No.
User avatar
KPTIC
I live above an internet cafe
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 1:45 pm

Re: TEFL

Postby Stagger Lee » Sun May 15, 2016 6:56 am

Satan ™ wrote:If you like taking drugs whilst you work and want to earn $9 an hour then Pannasastra University (PUC) has plenty of job opportunities :thumbsup:


Ouch.
User avatar
Stagger Lee
I need professional help
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:23 pm

Re: TEFL

Postby Satan ™ » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:40 pm

Image
Fuck with me and you'll get AIDS
User avatar
Satan ™
K440 Knight
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:53 am
Location: Hell

Re: TEFL

Postby zeeto » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:37 pm

Satan ™ wrote:Image


did you end up getting your paycheck before July 12th?
User avatar
zeeto
440 newbie - handle with care
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:21 am

PreviousNext

Return to Essential Information




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests