Insurance

A heavily-moderated forum containing essential information on various aspects of Cambodia. Only moderators can create threads, but all users can post. Questions should be asked in the Questions and Answers forum.

Insurance

Postby Sambo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:45 pm

Which providers / how much they charge / what they cover...

CB: "especially ones that cover motorbikes and helicopter rides to bangkok, not all insurance companies have good motorbike cover"
Sambo
"440 Admin, who me? No not me, TAXI!"

Insurance

Postby Aus Rascal » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:37 pm

My boss just got a package with infinity insurance. 50yr old smoker, full medivac (fly out) and motorbike accident cover for around $420p/m. Premium was quite high though. I think around the 4-5k mark.

Pretty glad I negotiated insurance into my contract haha
Aus Rascal
I've got nothing better to do

Re: Insurance

Postby andyinasia » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:38 am

I'm now at the point where, having winged it for years since I've been here, I need to get insured - me, the 50 year old foreigner, and my wife, the 30 year old Cambodian.

I can't afford the prices mentioned above. I'm perusing the PPP special from November. In this article on Forte
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/index.php/Special-Reports/pioneer-broker-takes-pride-in-quick-settlement-of-claims.html

it says,
For people who want evacuation to Singapore, Malaysia or Thailand, it costs about $2,000 a year for an evacuation policy. For local treatment, the premium is only about $100 a year.

We can't afford $4000 pa; presumably the $100 sends you to Calamette. Is there anything more viable? We're both non-smokers in good health and are looking to be covered for emergencies such as moto accidents.

:smile:
I came, I argued, I'm out
andyinasia
20,000 Posts; I need professional help !

Insurance

Postby Tafrae » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:22 am

If you give David from Asia Insurance a call - 017360333 (nice guy) he acts as a broker for a few different options.

We're with AETNA who are based in Hong Kong. Cost - around $3,500 per year (2 adults, 1 child, no excess).

I may look at BUPA International next year as been hearing good things from friends about them.
Tafrae
I've got nothing better to do

Postby andyinasia » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:32 pm

Tafrae wrote:If you give David from Asia Insurance a call - 017360333 (nice guy) he acts as a broker for a few different options.

We're with AETNA who are based in Hong Kong. Cost - around $3,500 per year (2 adults, 1 child, no excess).

I may look at BUPA International next year as been hearing good things from friends about them.

He has a section in the PPP special here: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/index.php/Special-Reports/agent-takes-pride-in-helping-expats-get-quality-medical-care.html

$100 per month each is out of our league.
andyinasia

Postby cambod » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:58 pm

andyinasia wrote:
Tafrae wrote:If you give David from Asia Insurance a call - 017360333 (nice guy) he acts as a broker for a few different options.

He has a section in the PPP special here: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/index.php/Special-Reports/agent-takes-pride-in-helping-expats-get-quality-medical-care.html

$100 per month each is out of our league.

Looks like u'll just have to start ur own "medical savings account" then...
cambod
Twatflannel First Class

Postby fboac » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:00 pm

Become a member in the business association that gives you huge benefits

•Health insurance 24/7 SOS included
•Car, moto, repatriation, staff, fire and business insurances available
•Free downloadable contracts in English and Khmer for any purpose you can think of, made by a lawyer
•1 hour free legal advice a year.
•a forum to share your ideas and needs with other business owners

The president of the FBOAC is Dr. Deyhle, a German lawyer who is specialized in Cambodian business law.

The FBOAC fights for your rights. We can because we are representing a united group of business owners. Keep checking our Website http://www.fboac.org.

We are a new fast growing Association we will be able to offer you more services and group insurances for a small monthly payable amount.
fboac
5 minutes to kill

Postby tatt2ed » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:10 pm

fboac wrote:Become a member in the business association that gives you huge benefits

•Health insurance 24/7 SOS included
•Car, moto, repatriation, staff, fire and business insurances available
•Free downloadable contracts in English and Khmer for any purpose you can think of, made by a lawyer
•1 hour free legal advice a year.
•a forum to share your ideas and needs with other business owners

The president of the FBOAC is Dr. Deyhle, a German lawyer who is specialized in Cambodian business law.

The FBOAC fights for your rights. We can because we are representing a united group of business owners. Keep checking our Website http://www.fboac.org.

We are a new fast growing Association we will be able to offer you more services and group insurances for a small monthly payable amount.

I need health insurance as well. Would also like to get it for the girlfriend (Khmer). Was looking into IMG through Pacific Prime. Went to your site and sent an email.

Thanks
tatt2ed
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Postby vladimir » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:14 pm

fboac wrote:we will be able to offer you more services and group insurances for a small monthly payable amount.

call me a cynic, but when people don't specify the price whilst pushing all the pluses, it isn't usually good news
Unless you believe that the future can be better, it's unlikely you will step up and take responsibility for making it so. If you assume that there's no hope, you guarantee that there will be no hope. -Noam Chomsky
vladimir
Feminist Watch List

Postby tatt2ed » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:37 pm

vladimir wrote:
fboac wrote:we will be able to offer you more services and group insurances for a small monthly payable amount.

call me a cynic, but when people don't specify the price whilst pushing all the pluses, it isn't usually good news

It was real easy to find on their web site though with the coverage's as well. http://fboac.org/insurances/health-insurance-packages
tatt2ed
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Postby fboac » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:56 pm

All the prices are on the website like the previous replier said. We work together with a big french/Jewish insurance company. There is no scam, everything we mention we do (sorry we are a bit different, we do what we promise). We think this is something that is missing in Cambodia. Not only for once stand together as foreign business owners but also the chance to obtain an affordable health insurance (how many of you have a health insurance?) This is only a start because as a group you can also get cheaper moto, car, business insurance etc.

From saturday we start with meetings in Sihanoukville, after that we go to phnom Penh, Siem Reap and the rest of Cambodia. If there are questions or remarks, please don't hesitate to contact us. After all we are here for you.
fboac
5 minutes to kill

Postby vladimir » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:55 am

tatt2ed wrote:It was real easy to find on their web site though with the coverage's as well. http://fboac.org/insurances/health-insurance-packages

Thanks, tatt2ed.

However, the acid test for any insurance is what happens when it happens? The rates look fair - at least for the middle (silver?) option and above, but I'd like to see the process in action first/ speak to someone who had a health problem. Call me very cautious, I guess.

The two things one should look at are
1. Time lapse between claim and payout
2. Were there any attempts to wiggle out of what was signed/ contracted for?
This is all the more important here, because of a) You might die quickly if something isn't paid and b) money influences the outcome of any legal action if you survive. By default, the guys setting up must have more cash than most members, right?

Not trying to impugn anyone's reputation, just asking.If it were watertight/ close to that, I would be interested.
Unless you believe that the future can be better, it's unlikely you will step up and take responsibility for making it so. If you assume that there's no hope, you guarantee that there will be no hope. -Noam Chomsky
vladimir
Feminist Watch List

Postby Jacked Camry » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:18 am

fboac wrote:From saturday we start with meetings in Sihanoukville, after that we go to phnom Penh, Siem Reap and the rest of Cambodia. If there are questions or remarks, please don't hesitate to contact us. After all we are here for you.

Congratulations on setting up your Association, it's intriguing. We had a similar idea once upon a time, although hadn't thought of the business angle, more of an association of the suckas who actually pay tax in this place and wanted to raise issues in that regard so that the playing field is more level.

I take it that this is a brand new venture? You'd be well advised to try to convince the members to allow themselves to be known as members publicly in order that you can gain credibility in this regard. Do you have plans to go beyond health and business insurance, for example to lobby or raise issues such as taxation etc.? Offering health insurance to individuals would kind of adulterate the whole basis behind the venture, no?

It's interesting that you've cottoned onto the good idea of offering insurance as a hook and a means to generate revenue and interest in your association where the existing associations don't do anything of that sort, or much beyond providing excuses to go swill beer or wine somewhere every so often.

Anyway, good luck with it, I'll consider joining once I have a better grasp of who you are and what you're intending on doing.
Jacked Camry
Is the World Outside still there ?

Postby Birdy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:02 pm

If you take out an Insurance with a big excess,my excess is $2000 it will be a fraction of the cost.
I pay £500 for the year
I am only concerned with cover for major illness/accident and airlift to Thailand etc ,the cheaper stuff I can pay for myself.
Birdy
I have some social problems

Postby andyinasia » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:58 pm

Birdy wrote:If you take out an Insurance with a big excess,my excess is $2000 it will be a fraction of the cost.
I pay £500 for the year
I am only concerned with cover for major illness/accident and airlift to Thailand etc ,the cheaper stuff I can pay for myself.

Ah, now that's exactly what I have in mind. Which company/policy is that, Birdy?
andyinasia

Next

Return to Essential Information