Banks & ATMs

A heavily-moderated forum containing essential information on various aspects of Cambodia. Only moderators can create threads, but all users can post. Questions should be asked in the Questions and Answers forum.

Re: Banks & ATMs

Postby nightblooming cerius » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:59 pm

Thank you Billy B. Seems to me the best way (although it has a risk, as does everything of course) is to take huge amounts of cash out and stick it in a safely placed safe. Zero fees. But one of the problems is each fiefdom and empire has its own currency regulations, making one a criminal if believes in an open market of consensual buyers and sellers (a fiction)
nightblooming cerius
I've got nothing better to do
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:09 pm

Re: Banks & ATMs

Postby vladimir » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:51 pm

goodtwin wrote:If I need to make regular payments to the United States, what is the best bank for that?


Does America have Western Union?
If you swim in the sewer, don't be surprised when you encounter turds. Or accountants..oh, wait I already...
User avatar
vladimir
Feminist Watch List
 
Posts: 32764
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:43 am
Location: North Korea

Re: Re: Re: Banks & ATMs

Postby cambod » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:22 pm

SunSan wrote:
cambod wrote:
goodtwin wrote:If I need to make regular payments to the United States, what is the best bank for that?


Well, Cambodian Public Bank just told me that Americans can come in and do a wire transfer to America for $25, even without an account with them...

U might also want to find out the SWIFT number for the intermediate bank that handles foreign incoming wire transfers for the bank u are sending money TO to save a lil money...


I wouldn't do that, only confuses everybody.

Just give them the bank details of the receiver.


True, has definitely led to confusion here, but will most likely save u some money if YOU choose the right one instead of letting them bounce it around a few times to random banks (that charge u every time they touch it) before it hits the right one that is free, or at least cheaper for u...
cambod
Twatflannel First Class
 
Posts: 18067
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:42 am

Re: Banks & ATMs

Postby goodtwin » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:23 pm

vladimir wrote:
goodtwin wrote:If I need to make regular payments to the United States, what is the best bank for that?


Does America have Western Union?


yes. What are the Western Union fees like here?
goodtwin
5 minutes to kill
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:59 pm

Re: Banks & ATMs

Postby Karong » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:24 am

OK, I am terrible when it comes to finances in general, but would I be right in saying the cheapest way for me to move my cash from the UK, and access it in Cambodia will be a wire transfer?

My idea is to open a bank acc with free ATM withdrawls in Phnom Penh when I arrive, then get the money wired over from a family members bank in the UK. The amount will be £3000-£5000.

Please let me know if this is a good/bad idea anyone who is in the know. Thanks.
"dge, phn nh"
User avatar
Karong
I live above an internet cafe
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:30 am

Re: Banks & ATMs

Postby BillyB » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:50 am

Karong wrote:Would I be right in saying the cheapest way for me to move my cash from the UK, and access it in Cambodia will be a wire transfer?

Karong wrote:The amount will be £3000-£5000.

No, for that amount it is easier to carry it in your pocket. How do you intend to convert from GBP to USD ?

:pissed: :pissed: :pissed:
User avatar
BillyB
A Moment of Clarity
 
Posts: 2314
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Banks & ATMs

Postby kinglear#1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:51 am

Karong wrote:OK, I am terrible when it comes to finances in general, but would I be right in saying the cheapest way for me to move my cash from the UK, and access it in Cambodia will be a wire transfer?

My idea is to open a bank acc with free ATM withdrawls in Phnom Penh when I arrive, then get the money wired over from a family members bank in the UK. The amount will be £3000-£5000.

Please let me know if this is a good/bad idea anyone who is in the know. Thanks.


Yes. Many banks here have SWIFT facilities and it is fairly cheap and fast (typically 2-3 days). As for converting GBP to USD, the banks handle that as well, included in the SWIFT transfer fee. I can speak for the banks I use, anyway, but I think ANZ have the same/similar services.
O, let me not be mad, not mad, sweet heaven
User avatar
kinglear#1
I need professional help
 
Posts: 1020
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:35 pm
Location: Out in a storm

Re: Banks & ATMs

Postby SunSan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:40 pm

BillyB wrote:
Karong wrote:Would I be right in saying the cheapest way for me to move my cash from the UK, and access it in Cambodia will be a wire transfer?

Karong wrote:The amount will be £3000-£5000.

No, for that amount it is easier to carry it in your pocket. How do you intend to convert from GBP to USD ?

:pissed: :pissed: :pissed:


Agree, hand carry it. Open account here, deposit.
SunSan
Clinically Addicted to 440
 
Posts: 10789
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:14 am

Re: Banks & ATMs

Postby Karong » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:00 pm

SunSan wrote:
BillyB wrote:
Karong wrote:Would I be right in saying the cheapest way for me to move my cash from the UK, and access it in Cambodia will be a wire transfer?

Karong wrote:The amount will be £3000-£5000.

No, for that amount it is easier to carry it in your pocket. How do you intend to convert from GBP to USD ?

:pissed: :pissed: :pissed:


Agree, hand carry it. Open account here, deposit.


Yeah and what happens if somehow something happens to it between UK - party in Thailand for a week - Cambodia?
"dge, phn nh"
User avatar
Karong
I live above an internet cafe
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:30 am

Re: Banks & ATMs

Postby SunSan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:36 am

Then it's gone. Control yourself. Wait until you're here. Much better parties in Cambodia then in Thailand.
SunSan
Clinically Addicted to 440
 
Posts: 10789
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:14 am

Re: Banks & ATMs

Postby hanac2001 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:24 am

Im Moving over next few weeks as well, Best to get it all on a Fair FX Card and then open a Cambodian bank account ?
hanac2001
5 minutes to kill
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Banks & ATMs

Postby mrflipper » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:35 pm

what about us dollar trav cheques.?... surely its better 2 take them in2 cambodia than travelling thru thailand with sterling in ur pocket ??
mrflipper
5 minutes to kill
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Banks & ATMs

Postby altmtl » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi this is my first post...

So in a nutshell I will be arriving from Trat and ending up in Kampot/Kep... I'll have some US$ to start, I read that ATM's dispense US$, so what is the max. withdrawal amount? I saw another post about SBS having no ATM transaction fee? Are there others? I have a TD Canada Trust debit card & will be charged $5 by them regardless. I also have some US TC, but I here the commission is rather high? So what would be the best way to go about this... I'm staying 2 weeks at the most.

Thanks for your help
User avatar
altmtl
5 minutes to kill
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:26 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: Banks & ATMs

Postby Khmeria » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:46 pm

For Americans, try Charles Schwab.

I pay nothing to use my Atm/Visa card all over the world. They refund all fees foreign banks charge to use ATMs as well.

Obviously not good for local deposits, but unbeatable for an ATM/visa card.
User avatar
Khmeria
I Am Losing It All to the Internet
 
Posts: 1437
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:28 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: Banks & ATMs

Postby altmtl » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:23 pm

That doesn't really answer my questions? - :help: :lol:
User avatar
altmtl
5 minutes to kill
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:26 pm
Location: Montreal

PreviousNext

Return to Essential Information




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 7 guests