Cambodia Visas

A heavily-moderated forum containing essential information on various aspects of Cambodia. Only moderators can create threads, but all users can post. Questions should be asked in the Questions and Answers forum.

Cambodia Visas

Postby Sambo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:52 pm

Before you arrive in Cambodia
E-Visas can be obtained before you leave, by visiting the government's MFAIC site.
- For $25 ($20 + $5 processing charge), you receive a 30-day tourist visa. The benefit of this is that it saves a page in your passport, which would otherwise be taken up by a full-page stamp.
- These generally take 2 business days to process.
- This visa can be only extended once for 30 days.
- These are valid for entry at the PP and SR airports, but not many of the border crossings. Be sure to check the MFAIC site for current information.

Cambodia visas on arrival
Tourist visas can be obtained on arrival for $20.
Ordinary (business) visas can be obtained on arrival for $25.
- Tourist visas can only be extended for 30 days.
- Ordinary visas can be extended multiple times for up to 1 year at a time.
- A passport size photo is required - otherwise, you will be charged $2.

Cambodia visa extensions
1 month = $42
3 months = $72
6 months = $153
12 months = $283
- A passport size photo is required when requesting a visa extension.
- The 6-month and 12-month visas allow for multiple entry into the country.

Visa Extension prices are current as of 21 August from Lucky Lucky:
    Lucky Lucky Motorcycles Shop
    No. 413Eo, Preah Monivong (St. 93), 12258 Phnom Penh
    Tel 023 220 988
    Tel & Fax 023 212 788
    Mobile Phone 010 998 099
    Mobile Phone 012 279 990
    Mobile Phone 099 808 788

Cambodia visa overstay
- If you overstay your visa, you will be charged at a rate of $5/day. This is to be paid in cash to the immigration agent when leaving the country.
Sambo
"440 Admin, who me? No not me, TAXI!"

Re: Cambodia Visas

Postby Playboy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:03 pm

I love the E-visa system.

If only they also did business visas ...
"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
Playboy
"440 Admin, who me? No not me, TAXI!"

Postby Blorg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Probably worth pointing out that a bribe is generally expected at land border crossings which can vary from $1-20 depending on your negotiation skills and how rich and/or green you look. Those wishing to avoid that should consider an e-Visa.

Payment will also often be requested in a currency other than dollars (typically Thai baht, although they will also take kip at the Laos border.) You will always be ripped off paying in a currency other than dollars; typical amounts requested range from 1,000 to 1,200B ($33-40 for a $20 visa.) So pay in dollars and make sure you have exact change (I suggest $20 for the visa and up to $5 in singles for the bribe.)

If you do decide to negotiate, always remain calm and polite and keep a smile. Getting angry is not going to help, whereas if you are polite and nice you can get away with $1 in my experience.

The 'health check' at land borders is just a tea money raising scam and is optional. You can just walk past and say no. If you do it at least the fee is low, around 20B.

Don't let anyone 'help' you with your bags or the visa application process, it is completely unnecessary.

Don't change any money at the border, you will be ripped off. Remember the US Dollar is the effective currency in Cambodia and you do NOT need riel, despite what people at the border may tell you. You can pay for literally everything here in dollars, even small things. So don't change any money into riel. Banks in the border towns will give you a decent exchange rate; the guys hanging around the border or the border guards themselves, not so much.
Blorg
I live above an internet cafe

Postby Lucky Lucan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:52 pm

Remember the US Dollar is the effective currency in Cambodia and you do NOT need riel, despite what people at the border may tell you. You can pay for literally everything here in dollars, even small things. So don't change any money into riel.

It might not be a good idea to change money into Riel at the border but you must be very naive or new here if you think dollars are the only way to go.
Romantic Cambodia's dead and gone,
It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby Blorg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Lucky Lucan wrote:It might not be a good idea to change money into Riel at the border but you must be very naive or new here if you think dollars are the only way to go.
My advice is directed at tourists. My point is that dollars are accepted universally and are actually used as the primary currency here. People visiting will not necessarily realise that and many think, like most other countries, you actually need the local currency or at least get a better deal when paying in it. Money changers at the border take advantage of this and persuade you to change money and rip you off. The last guy I met who changed at the border was given 100 Riel for each baht, and he changed more than a token amount. That is a 25% loss. He also paid 1,200 baht for the visa as that was what they asked and he didn't know any better. That is 100% more than he should have paid.

Personally I've never bothered changing. Right now the dollar is around 3,990 so I don't see what the point would be when every vendor will give you 4,000 worth of product for the same dollar. When it is higher (say 4,040-4,080) changing will get you 1-2% off your small purchases only; large purchases will still be denominated in dollars anyway. I've never seen a guesthouse room in riel, or electronics, or cellphone cards, or any non-local restaurant. So you will get 1c off your $1 noodle soup or spam baguette in the morning and 1% off your meals and beer in cheaper Khmer restaurants only. And only if you don't come here during high season which is post-harvest when the riel is strong anyway.

If there is another reason to change do tell; I don't live here but am a frequent visitor.
Blorg

Postby roberto poggi » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Sambo wrote:
Cambodia visa extensions
1 month = $42
3 months = $72
6 months = $153
12 months = $283

Actually the 12 months extension is 190$. The 283$ is the fast track price. It's like for the Khmer passport or car plates, regular price and fast price.
roberto poggi

Postby doktor_d » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:02 pm

OSS 117 wrote:
Sambo wrote:
Cambodia visa extensions
1 month = $42
3 months = $72
6 months = $153
12 months = $283

Actually the 12 months extension is 190$. The 283$ is the fast track price. It's like for the Khmer passport or car plates, regular price and fast price.

How fast can they get it done? A day? Couple of days? (The 12 month visa I mean..)
Alcohol is necessary so that a man can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts
doktor_d
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Postby vladimir » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:16 pm

OSS 117 wrote:Actually the 12 months extension is 190$. The 283$ is the fast track price. It's like for the Khmer passport or car plates, regular price and fast price.

I have never heard of a single person getting it for this price in 10 years. How long does the sloth B visa take?
Do as we say, don't do as we do!
vladimir
The 440 PunMaster General

Postby roberto poggi » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:33 pm

According to the Immigration office, up to 6 weeks. According to an officer of the Post Police for Foreigner, 2 weeks. He can handle the paper work for you for 190$ and takes care of your passport.
roberto poggi

Postby ali baba » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:39 am

OSS 117 wrote:According to the Immigration office, up to 6 weeks. According to an officer of the Post Police for Foreigner, 2 weeks. He can handle the paper work for you for 190$ and takes care of your passport.

Could you share the address? This thing is so illusive as to be mythical.
Voted most likely to be a serial killer 2013.
ali baba
"Suit up!"

Postby ThePeck » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:16 am

doktor_d wrote:
OSS 117 wrote:
Sambo wrote:
Cambodia visa extensions
1 month = $42
3 months = $72
6 months = $153
12 months = $283

How fast can they get it done? A day? Couple of days? (The 12 month visa I mean..)

PP airport immigration, hand them $300, your passport and a passport photo. Usually they will bring it to me in 2 days, last time I had to go to the airport to pick it up.
I'm the coolest guy I know.... shit I think I need some new friends!
ThePeck
I have some social problems

Cambodia Visas

Postby Samanthashan » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:32 pm

Do they have spouse visa ?
Samanthashan
5 minutes to kill

Postby sgaylie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:41 pm

Hi!

I will be leaving Cambodia for two weeks to Malaysia and Australia and I was wondering when I come back, can I just get a new visa at the airport again?
sgaylie
440 newbie - handle with care

Return to Essential Information