Cambodia Visas

A heavily-moderated forum containing essential information on various aspects of Cambodia. Only moderators can create threads, but all users can post. Questions should be asked in the Questions and Answers forum.

Re: Cambodia Visas

Postby PSD_Kiwi » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:47 pm

Playboy wrote:
PSD_Kiwi wrote: ... It would be great if the MoFAIC and Immigration department would release a statement and update the Prakas with clear and concise details.

Ha Ha Ha - oh, wait, were you being serious ??!?!

No...just wishful thinking :-D
A lot of people like to fool you and say that you’re not smart if you never went to college, but common sense rules over everything. That’s what I learned from selling crack. -Snoop Dogg
PSD_Kiwi
Penitus In Meus Brain , Universitas Tune

Postby Kachang » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:43 am

I went for a visa extension today, and even though my passport is still valid until Arpil 2018 I was denied a one year extension. After the visa expires, you need to have at least 6 months validity left in your passport. I was never aware of this, and I can't remember having this trouble when I got my new passport 3,5 years ago. So for all those close to the expiring date of their passport - be careful. Even a 3M extension might not be given to you if your passport expires in less than 9 months.
Kachang
Bark plop plop bark woof woof

Postby claptrap1 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:27 pm

I can confirm that the new overstay rule is in place: I came back the same day as the expiry date on my visa: first the immigration officer mentioned it and when I went to get a new visa, the agent charged mea one-day fine, $10.

After the visa expires, you need to have at least 6 months validity left in your passport.

I am a bit concerned that your visa extension was denied even though you have more than a year in your passport (unless your date is a typo)! I haven't had this problem and won't for a while, so just being curious of what do you do if your passport hasn't run out but has less than 6 months on it? Will you need to apply a passport several months earlier, depending how quickly it will be processed?
claptrap1
I've got internet at work

Postby C-Mon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:03 pm

That's true and kind of normal precedure in many countries. Your passport needs to be valid for more than six months to get a visa. But I think if you have more than 6 months left you can apply for a half year visa. If you have less than six months, you'll have problems to apply anyway.

I got a new passport last year January. My last visa in there is valid until 19th Jan 2016. The passport was valid until 5th June 2016. I applied for a new passport beginning of Jan 16 (careful, it can take two weeks or so!) and picked it up on the 18th of Jan 16. Perfect timing. Next time I will do it earlier though...
C-Mon
I've got nothing better to do

Postby chkwoot » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:33 am

Kachang wrote:I went for a visa extension today, and even though my passport is still valid until Arpil 2018 I was denied a one year extension. After the visa expires, you need to have at least 6 months validity left in your passport. I was never aware of this, and I can't remember having this trouble when I got my new passport 3,5 years ago. So for all those close to the expiring date of their passport - be careful. Even a 3M extension might not be given to you if your passport expires in less than 9 months.

I've had this happen twice. My 10 yr. passport is really only good for 9.5 yrs. Now it doesn't matter. I will definitely run out of pages way before 10 yrs.
chkwoot
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Postby Kachang » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:01 pm

C-Mon wrote:That's true and kind of normal precedure in many countries. Your passport needs to be valid for more than six months to get a visa. But I think if you have more than 6 months left you can apply for a half year visa. If you have less than six months, you'll have problems to apply anyway.

<cut>

You don't get it.

I left Cambodia through Pochentong 2 weeks ago, and asked the officer checking my passport about the rules. She confirmed what I wrote before:

In order to get a visa extented, your passport needs to be valid for at least the duration of the visa plus 6 months added. So for a one month visa (extension), you need at least 7 months of validity, for a 3 month visa (extension) nine months, and for a one year extension you need 18 months validity left in your passport. When I applied for a one year extension my passport had (only) 17 months left and I was denied a one year extension, instead I got only a 6 month extension. Please note the only multi entry extensions are the 6- and 12 month extensions, so for some (at least for me) a 3 month extension is useless.
Kachang

Postby PSD_Kiwi » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:12 am

^ that is correct, kind of ridiculous, but true.

BtW, I just got a 12 month extension of stay for only $170...the official price!
A lot of people like to fool you and say that you’re not smart if you never went to college, but common sense rules over everything. That’s what I learned from selling crack. -Snoop Dogg
PSD_Kiwi

Postby walkjivefly » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:48 pm

PSD_Kiwi wrote:^ that is correct, kind of ridiculous, but true.

BtW, I just got a 12 month extension of stay for only $170...the official price!

How, where, and how long did it take?
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and ...
walkjivefly
My Best Friend is my Computer

Postby PSD_Kiwi » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:46 am

^ immigration department opposite airport, 3 days
PSD_Kiwi

Postby adele_tang » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi, would appreciate some advice here.

Has anyone done a conversion of the tourist visa to a 1-year ordinary visa? How much did it cost and how long did it take? I know it is possible but I've feeling we are being ripped off for this. Agency wants $335 for 6 months extension.
adele_tang
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby Lucky Lucan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:04 pm

You can't convert a tourist visa to an ordinary one, you have to leave and re-enter. The agent will have to get someone to do this for them, and there is always a large charge for this service, which by the way is illegal.
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby PSD_Kiwi » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:38 pm

adele_tang wrote:Hi, would appreciate some advice here.

Has anyone done a conversion of the tourist visa to a 1-year ordinary visa? How much did it cost and how long did it take? I know it is possible but I've feeling we are being ripped off for this. Agency wants $335 for 6 months extension.

It is illegal, hence the high price charged by agents who do it. Cheaper, and safer, to do a border run.
PSD_Kiwi

Postby racontuer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:35 pm

Is Lucky Lucky Motorcycle as stated on page one the Agency of choice to do a visa extension, or is their a better more current agency I should seek?... Mine is an ordinary visa I will extend for 6 months.....
racontuer
I've got nothing better to do

Postby Lucky Lucan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:18 pm

racontuer wrote:Is Lucky Lucky Motorcycle as stated on page one the Agency of choice to do a visa extension, or is their a better more current agency I should seek?... Mine is an ordinary visa I will extend for 6 months.....

I haven't had to use them for a long time but they were always very reliable for the first few years I was here.
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby Jessb52 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:51 pm

A year tourist visa?
Cambodia's answer to Bet Lynch

https://www.facebook.com/JessatQuealys
Jessb52

PreviousNext

Return to Essential Information