Difference between កឺ and ជា

Discussions / Q&A on all areas of the Khmer language.

Difference between កឺ and ជា

Postby LastXdeth » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:36 am

I am a Cambodian-American, and have always wondered the usage of the word "is" or "to be" in Khmer which can either be កឺ or ជា depending on context. I have tried asking my parents to see if they know any grammar rules regarding when to use កឺ or ជា, but they don't really know. They said it either makes sense or not in a given sentence.

I have come to the conclusion that most Cambodians do not analyze their own grammar in a deep manner, so they can't explain it. I was wondering if any of y'all know a concrete rule for these two words.

Thanks in advance.
LastXdeth
440 newbie - handle with care

Re: Difference between កឺ and ជា

Postby starkmonster » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:01 pm

They can be used interchangeably or together. I'm not sure I'm right, but here's how I use them:

ជា everyday chit chat
កឺ slightly more formal, or at least I'm trying to sound smart
កឺជា is used when I want to add emphasis, or I'm mansplaining to the fairer sex.

And Smelly Fart will be in to disagree with me in, 3... 2... 1... ;-) :pissed:
starkmonster
MerkinMaker

Postby ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:38 pm

^^^^^
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ
I Am Losing It All to the Internet

Postby amirite » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:48 pm

For those that speak a little but don't read, what's the phonetic transliteration? And any examples would be great!
amirite
5 minutes to kill

Postby Viracocha » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:54 am

It should be គឺ, not កឺ

amirite wrote:For those that speak a little but don't read, what's the phonetic transliteration? And any examples would be great!

Click the links to hear the pronunciation. The recordings are from https://kheng.info/
ជា - IPA: /cie/
គឺ - IPA: /kɨɨ/
គឺជា - IPA: /kɨɨcie/

Google Translate now includes a Khmer machine voice too, and it does a pretty descent job.
Viracocha
5 minutes to kill

Postby Jamie_Lambo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:44 am

LastXdeth wrote:I am a Cambodian-American, and have always wondered the usage of the word "is" or "to be" in Khmer which can either be កឺ or ជា depending on context. I have tried asking my parents to see if they know any grammar rules regarding when to use កឺ or ជា, but they don't really know. They said it either makes sense or not in a given sentence.

I have come to the conclusion that most Cambodians do not analyze their own grammar in a deep manner, so they can't explain it. I was wondering if any of y'all know a concrete rule for these two words.

Thanks in advance.

as mentioned in another reply its spelt គឺ,
to my understanding គឺ tends to be used in more formal/polite context, usually in a "as follows, namely" fashion, for example.... "the winner of the competition is...."
where as ជា tends to be used more in common chit chat "to be, is, the same as, equal to" kind of fashion, for example... "this is an internet forum"/"how much is this?"
Ter Mtes Aii Na Del Min Chas Hel
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks
Jamie_Lambo
EGO Sum Unus Per Penitus

Postby Master Donut Baker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:59 am

think of them have same meaning as verb to be in english.
the chosen land.
Master Donut Baker
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates

Return to Khmer Language