For all you would-be bar owners...

Discussion, news and views on bars, restaurants, gigs, parties and relationships in Cambodia. Bar owners can advertise events for free here.

Re: For all you would-be bar owners...

Postby Marinaris » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:18 pm

scoffer wrote:I'm thinking that the influx of Chinese tourists will have an impact on the profitability of bars on the riverside.

They consume less drinks per visit than the standard Euro/USA/AUS visitor and are very reluctant to spend money on lady drinks on anyone other than their lady of interest.

I'm guessing that will make bars a lot less profitable over the next few years and many more bars will be up for sale in the near future.

I was thinking the opposite actually when I see chinese (well let's say asian) there, they always have a lot of girls around them, I guess they're paying lady drinks else the gals wouldn't stay around.
But again, imma no expert on the topic, might ask Will for his opinion.
Marinaris
I've got internet at work

Postby gavinmac » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:03 pm

scoffer wrote:I'm thinking that the influx of Chinese tourists will have an impact on the profitability of bars on the riverside.

They consume less drinks per visit than the standard Euro/USA/AUS visitor and are very reluctant to spend money on lady drinks on anyone other than their lady of interest.

I'm guessing that will make bars a lot less profitable over the next few years and many more bars will be up for sale in the near future.

More Chinese dudes=more customers. It's not like there aren't free seats in these bars. And I'd be surprised if the average Chinese guy spends less than the average visa runner from Pattaya.

That's racist thinking about the Chinese. They're not Indians.
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003

Postby Hanno » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:22 pm

gavinmac wrote:

More Chinese dudes=more customers. It's not like there aren't free seats in these bars. And I'd be surprised if the average Chinese guy spends less than the average visa runner from Pattaya.

Chinese will order a couple of bottles of 24-year old Whiskey, unlike the westerners desperately holding on to a 50-Cent beer.
"I realized that If I had to choose, I would rather have birds than airplanes."

Charles Lindbergh
Hanno
The Internet is my Friend

Postby tombraider » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:39 am

Talking of Chinese buying overpriced bars from barangs I heard they bought Aussie XL as well can anyone confirm this?

On the subject of Cheries and Loco they are hilarious prices. Loco at least has a history and is on a fairly good location but his sons bar (Cheries) is always dead and has a ridiculous rent on it, I think it needs $6000 ($200 per day) a month just to break even. I guess the expensive refit didn't work out so well. To even think they are worth even 20% of that kind of money is laughable
tombraider
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Postby Alexandra » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:18 am

tombraider wrote:Chinese buying overpriced bars from barangs

Here be dragons
Bless is no more
Alexandra
EGO Sum Unus Per Penitus

Postby violet » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:27 am

Aussie XL owned by Chinese? I might write an article for an Aussie newspaper. There would be uproar. The country is beginning to shut down the ease at which Chinese could invest in Australia.
violet
Suspicious Little Mad Woman

Postby Miguelito » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:33 am

violet wrote:Aussie XL owned by Chinese? I might write an article for an Aussie newspaper. There would be uproar. The country is beginning to shut down the ease at which Chinese could invest in Australia.

Looks like it was indeed sold to a Taiwanese guy.
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby Alexandra » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:34 am

violet wrote:There would be uproar.

Haha, seriously? They took our jobs!!!
Bless is no more
Alexandra
EGO Sum Unus Per Penitus

Postby violet » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:41 am

Alexandra wrote:
violet wrote:There would be uproar.

Haha, seriously? They took our jobs!!!

They even have the audacity to be flashing their cash to Aussie business outside of Australia. #tongueincheek for some but serious for a few #innowaydoesthisreflectthethoughtsofviolet
violet

Postby violet » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:43 am

Miguelito wrote:
violet wrote:Aussie XL owned by Chinese? I might write an article for an Aussie newspaper. There would be uproar. The country is beginning to shut down the ease at which Chinese could invest in Australia.

Looks like it was indeed sold to a Taiwanese guy.

Oh. Taiwanese! Well, that's alright then. 8-)
violet

Postby youngwill100 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Marinaris wrote:

I was thinking the opposite actually when I see chinese (well let's say asian) there, they always have a lot of girls around them, I guess they're paying lady drinks else the gals wouldn't stay around.
But again, imma no expert on the topic, might ask Will for his opinion.

I think there’s some truth in both these comments.
Yes the Asians tend to pick one girl each whereas barangs quite often buy ladydrinks for 2-3 girls. But because the Asians almost always arrive in groups of 3-6 compared to barangs who are either solo or in small groups of 2-3, that offsets the larger individual spending of barangs.
The spending range for Asians is about $15-40 each. For barangs it is a wider range, from $10-60. At the higher end, a good Asian group will run up a bill of maybe $350, and barangs similar. Our current record bill for a single customer on one night is $1,700.
The bars are having to adapt to the different tastes of the Asian customers, as their numbers are increasing while barangs are declining. They want to sit on sofas in a slightly more private setting. They prefer slower music. They want a line up of white skinned, petite girls with big boobs (!!) to pick from. And they want at least one of the girls to speak Korean or Chinese if possible.
There are still good profits to be made in bars, but you have to adapt to the changing customer base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
youngwill100
I need professional help

Postby gavinmac » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:52 pm

What percent of the girls speak some Chinese and can they earn a lot more money based on that?
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003

Postby Rib » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:50 pm

Some good news chaps, and thank you dear mother. After months of persuasion, my mother has decide to sell her detached house in a leafy suburb of the home counties so I can buy cherries bar. Thanks mummy, I promise to make this work.
Rib
Stig of the Dump

Postby Visser » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:06 am

Hanno wrote:
gavinmac wrote:

Chinese will order a couple of bottles of 24-year old Whiskey, unlike the westerners desperately holding on to a 50-Cent beer.

Then proceed to drink it with ice and coke :banghead:
None but ourselves can free our mind.
Visser
I Have Not Been Outside in a Week

Postby Rib » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Sadly the deal was scuppered by my brother. No bar for me now. Sorry to the owner of Cherries bar, I really wanted to call that joint my own.
Rib
Stig of the Dump

PreviousNext

Return to Lifestyle