Pre- 1975 and the Cambodian 'Elite'

A place to discuss all aspects of Cambodian history and culture. This is the place to post links to books, articles, documentaries etc on our host country, and to find images of Cambodia's past.

Pre- 1975 and the Cambodian 'Elite'

Postby Bonander » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:42 pm

I read on occasion about the elite class in Cambodia prior to April 1975. I'm assuming this would include the following:

1. Lived in the cities
2. Head of the family was high-ranking military, or perhaps somehow related to the King
3. Spoke French as lingua franca with the Vietnamese
4. Maybe spoke it at home

However I came across a Los Angeles County document from 1975 trying to 'introduce' Cambodians to Californians, expecting the deluge of refugees. In it -- it was alleged to have been written by Cambodians for the LA County Supervisors -- it noted that children of the elite class were more likely to have Pali-derived names, and not Khmer.

Thoughts?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any input is appreciated.
User avatar
Bonander
440 newbie - handle with care
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:40 pm
Location: Austin

Re: Pre- 1975 and the Cambodian 'Elite'

Postby Felgerkarb » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:15 am

Neat. I would like to dig down into this too.
====================
Why are the gods such vicious cunts?
Where is the god of tits and wine?
User avatar
Felgerkarb
Sir Felgerkarb, Kt Pb
 
Posts: 8460
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:22 am
Location: Castle Felgerkarb, Felgerkarbia (Formerly Preah Vihear)

Re: Pre- 1975 and the Cambodian 'Elite'

Postby Miguelito » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:35 am

Bonander wrote:I read on occasion about the elite class in Cambodia prior to April 1975. I'm assuming this would include the following:

1. Lived in the cities
2. Head of the family was high-ranking military, or perhaps somehow related to the King
3. Spoke French as lingua franca with the Vietnamese
4. Maybe spoke it at home

However I came across a Los Angeles County document from 1975 trying to 'introduce' Cambodians to Californians, expecting the deluge of refugees. In it -- it was alleged to have been written by Cambodians for the LA County Supervisors -- it noted that children of the elite class were more likely to have Pali-derived names, and not Khmer.

Thoughts?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any input is appreciated.


Most of the elite went to the French high school, and then onward to Europe for university. I've never heard the Pali-derived names connection, I would have thought if not Khmer names, then Chinese derived surnames would be more common among the elite. Look into parliament from that time or who graduated from Descartes and it would give a good sense.
User avatar
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge
 
Posts: 2990
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:19 pm
Location: Penh's Hill

Re: Pre- 1975 and the Cambodian 'Elite'

Postby Lucky Lucan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:04 pm

I'm not sure what constitutes a Pali-derived name so I'm not sure what to look for. On a list of Prime Ministers there are a half dozen or so royals but the other names all seem normal enough: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... f_Cambodia
We all gotta duck..............when the shit hits the fan.
User avatar
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain
 
Posts: 17674
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:24 pm
Location: The Pearl of the Orient

Re: Pre- 1975 and the Cambodian 'Elite'

Postby pedros » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:15 pm

Lucky Lucan wrote:I'm not sure what constitutes a Pali-derived name so I'm not sure what to look for. On a list of Prime Ministers there are a half dozen or so royals but the other names all seem normal enough: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... f_Cambodia



What's interesting is most are measured in x days, a few 1 year x days, until Chan sy (just shy of3 years) rannaridh, who almost got 4 straight, the the big man, nearly 19 + 8 + 5 ( as second pm).

And 3 days in 93. :thumbsup:
User avatar
pedros
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates
 
Posts: 2247
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Re: Pre- 1975 and the Cambodian 'Elite'

Postby crazyjohn » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:49 pm

This is interesting. I think the elite only numbered in the hundreds and most escaped to France before the KR takeover. But what does a Pali derived name mean?
I know in Thailand there are names that link people with the royal family. My missus used to live in a timber house on Soi 3 and the rich family owned a big chunk of land there. The kids were our age and were friends, their surname was D'Attuthya. I always assumed they were connected.
crazyjohn
I've got nothing better to do
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:32 am

Re: Pre- 1975 and the Cambodian 'Elite'

Postby Bonander » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:32 pm

For the record, here is a link to the document itself at archive.org. https://archive.org/details/ERIC_ED123311
User avatar
Bonander
440 newbie - handle with care
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:40 pm
Location: Austin

Re: Pre- 1975 and the Cambodian 'Elite'

Postby Lucky Lucan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:26 am

crazyjohn wrote:This is interesting. I think the elite only numbered in the hundreds and most escaped to France before the KR takeover. But what does a Pali derived name mean?
I know in Thailand there are names that link people with the royal family. My missus used to live in a timber house on Soi 3 and the rich family owned a big chunk of land there. The kids were our age and were friends, their surname was D'Attuthya. I always assumed they were connected.


You make some good points but more importantly people change names here very often, in a way that is almost incomprehensible to a foreigner. Their family names don't follow a direct line either so it gets very confusing.. Most local people I know here have names which are very remote from the names on their birth-certs etc.
We all gotta duck..............when the shit hits the fan.
User avatar
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain
 
Posts: 17674
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:24 pm
Location: The Pearl of the Orient

Re: Pre- 1975 and the Cambodian 'Elite'

Postby Master Donut Baker » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:30 pm

the cambo pre-75 elites and their offsprings mostly dead now. god blesses america.
the chosen land.
User avatar
Master Donut Baker
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates
 
Posts: 2055
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:04 pm

Re: Pre- 1975 and the Cambodian 'Elite'

Postby Lucky Lucan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:02 am

Master Donut Baker wrote:the cambo pre-75 elites and their offsprings mostly dead now. god blesses america.


That's a pretty fucking dumb statement, by anyone's standards. I'm disappointed that someone like yourself, who is probably more qualified than most to answer this question, comes out with such foolish nonsense.
We all gotta duck..............when the shit hits the fan.
User avatar
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain
 
Posts: 17674
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:24 pm
Location: The Pearl of the Orient

Re: Pre- 1975 and the Cambodian 'Elite'

Postby Master Donut Baker » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:24 am

LL, my family and I were living in Battambang city up till the war ended in 1975. I tried to recollect what my feelings were toward those elites prior ending of the war. This also might explained why the KR weren't fond of those people either.
the chosen land.
User avatar
Master Donut Baker
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates
 
Posts: 2055
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:04 pm

Re: Pre- 1975 and the Cambodian 'Elite'

Postby LastXdeth » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:49 am

Both my mom and my dad were kids of wealthy, elite parents. My dad's parents were salt farmers who made fortunes and my mom's dad was an field-grade artillery officer in the Khmer Republic officer.

Of course, that all went away in 1975 when the communists executed all who took in the pleasures of capitalism. My dad's parents stored their money in a Swiss bank account, but they never told my dad (who was only 6 years old at the time) the account details for fear that communists would find out.

On my mom side, her dad was executed for the obvious reason that he was an enemy to the communist revolution. My mom was only 8 at the time.
User avatar
LastXdeth
440 newbie - handle with care
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:15 am
Location: Georgia, United States

Re: Pre- 1975 and the Cambodian 'Elite'

Postby Master Donut Baker » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:21 am

in 1974 in battambang city, i used to go to fly a kite near where the khmer republic army fire their artilliary to kr positions. it's just off the road from the city to phnom sampeu. after the railroad track there was a hospital (pet teahean) on the right, and the road to left unpaved, about 1 km to the left from that hospital there was khmer republic soldier with his wife and a toddler lived in a shed (palm leaf roofing).his wife usually helped the artillary gunner load the ammunition, like a two person crew. if i remembered correctly they were shelling kr positions in phnom ta pdei, koh krolor, muang, and few other places. but, never i would consider artillary gunner as an elitist class.
the chosen land.
User avatar
Master Donut Baker
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates
 
Posts: 2055
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:04 pm

Re: Pre- 1975 and the Cambodian 'Elite'

Postby crazyjohn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:12 am

I watched the Sihanouk film La Joie de Vivre recently. Most filmed in Kirirom in the weird suburb built by Rainsey's father, some great scenes with dancing, music and cars. One scene has a huge Lincoln convertible and another a Morris or Austin 1100.
It is s snapshot of the decadent niek mien lifestye at the time. Has anyone seen the ruins of this weirdly named place in the forest?
crazyjohn
I've got nothing better to do
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:32 am

Re: Pre- 1975 and the Cambodian 'Elite'

Postby Bonander » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:03 pm

LastXdeth wrote:Both my mom and my dad were kids of wealthy, elite parents. My dad's parents were salt farmers who made fortunes and my mom's dad was an field-grade artillery officer in the Khmer Republic officer.

Of course, that all went away in 1975 when the communists executed all who took in the pleasures of capitalism. My dad's parents stored their money in a Swiss bank account, but they never told my dad (who was only 6 years old at the time) the account details for fear that communists would find out.

On my mom side, her dad was executed for the obvious reason that he was an enemy to the communist revolution. My mom was only 8 at the time.
Thanks for this reply. Were your parents educated at a French school as well?

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
User avatar
Bonander
440 newbie - handle with care
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:40 pm
Location: Austin

Next

Return to Cambodian History and Culture




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests