Dale of Cambodia.

A place to discuss all aspects of Cambodian history and culture. This is the place to post links to books, articles, documentaries etc on our host country, and to find images of Cambodia's past.

Dale of Cambodia.

Postby Lucky Lucan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:32 am

This is quite an amazing story with lots of old footage:

Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby LexusSchmexus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:05 am

Great footage, thanks for sharing. Was it him that had the lunch with the prince? He didn't talk about it. I keep thinking I recognise some places especially but then realize I probably don't as things have changed too much. Those smiles at the end are timeless and in my case, remind me in part of why I stayed. I sometimes wonder if urbanization, modernization and globalization will eventually erase those smiles. One of the reasons why I spend so much time in the countryside.
LexusSchmexus
Damn, I just saw my Internet Bill !

Re: Dale of Cambodia.

Postby Lucky Lucan » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:28 am

LexusSchmexus wrote: Was it him that had the lunch with the prince?

He might have done, but that was James Fenton who wrote about having lunch with Prince Norodom Chantaraingsey.
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby karmageddon1 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:12 am

Thank you for finding this LL.
But god it was heart-breaking.

'I knew at once that they were great people' (Spencer Dale) ... exactly right.

Watching the footage, I could almost smell everything from that time.
And, as LexusShmexus has commented, those smiles, those smiles. Those smiles and faces of people who understood exactly what was going on and who were fighting to save their nation and people from the horrors of the communists only for them all to be stabbed in the back by not just the new Australian Labor government of late 1972 that Spencer Davis alluded to, but also by the entire anti-war movement as exemplified by the despicable Tom Hayden and his followers such as forum member JM.
* my 99 cent Kindle memories of 1974 CAMBODIA: http://www.amazon.co.uk/EXPLAINING-CAMB ... B00L0LC8TO *
karmageddon1
I've got nothing better to do

Postby violet » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:19 am

my like was for the first part of the above post. i wish we could UNLIKE!
violet
Suspicious Little Mad Woman

Postby kinard » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:31 am

karmageddon1 wrote:... that Spencer Davis alluded to...

'Understanding is a well-spring of life to him who has it, but the correction of fools is folly' -Proverbs 16:22
kinard
I can not turn my computer off ...

Postby ricecakes » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:57 am

I think a few 440 members have lifted this guy's story as their own 8-)
Rated R for Ricecakes
ricecakes
I Fap to 440

Postby Edwardo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:45 pm

karmageddon1 wrote:Those smiles and faces of people who understood exactly what was going on and who were fighting to save their nation and people from the horrors of the communists only for them all to be stabbed in the back by not just the new Australian Labor government of late 1972 that Spencer Davis alluded to, but also by the entire anti-war movement as exemplified by the despicable Tom Hayden and his followers such as forum member ...

You can't realistically ridicule people for being anti-war, can you? I hope nobody is ever pro-war just for the sake of war. Sometimes brutal military action may be the least-worst option in a basket of horrendous other options. Much more often than not, things can somehow get resolved without resorting to such drastic and deadly actions (the US-Soviet Cuban missile crisis comes to mind). Staunchly believing you know which is the correct course of action at the time is the hobgoblin of a foolish mind. You only have opinions. Of course, every swinging dick is a know-it-all expert in hindsight. Super easy to castigate others for making decisions or voicing opinions that later seem incomprehensible when you refuse to fully fathom all the other possible disastrous outcomes.

Was Neville Chamberlain wrong for trying to avoid WW2 knowing what we know now?
Were the American isolationists wrong for trying to stay out of WW2 knowing what we know now?
Were anti-war protestors wrong for trying to prevent/end the Vietnam War knowing what we know now?
Were the Americans (and some others) wrong for then ending military support for the Cambodian government in the mid-1970s knowing what we know now?
Were anti-war protestors wrong for trying to prevent the US invasion of Iraq knowing what we know now? (Okay - that is an easy one. We all knew that totally unnecessary war was going to be the ultimate disastrous fuck-story of all time long before it happened).

Insane to blame anti-war protestors for anything, ever. Almost all times they're on the right side of history. Although when they do occasionally get it wrong, things can get much more complicated due to delayed response to impending conflict. I think that is a moral trade-off most people can comfortably accept.
"The final straw actually involved my mortal enemy vladimir, who you may or may not know is an insufferable, overposting asshat."
Edwardo
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Postby JJones » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:15 am

Thanks Lucky for sharing that. Fascinating story.
JJones
I've got nothing better to do

Postby mikebrow » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:06 pm

My name is Mike and I'm the producer of the 'Dale of Cambodia' YouTube Video. This is a remarkable Cambodian story that needs to be told in its entirety. Over the past few years Spencer and I have been approaching production companies for expressions of interest in producing a full feature documentary on his unique adventure.

We have now changed our attitude towards following this path as understandably no one wants to take on the financial risk of covering a story that does not appear to have mainstream appeal with little commercial return. Spencer captured several hours of high quality 8mm movie film, none of which has ever been released in over 40 years. Our plan now is to tell his story via YouTube in small bite size chunks and slowly build an audience and awareness of this tragic time in Cambodian history. The story therefore is not profit driven but to ensure it is not forever lost because someone couldn't make a buck from it.

Many young Cambodians have expressed interest in hearing more of what took place during those war years, especially concerning General Chantarangsey who was considered to be a hero figure by many. I think every Cambodian has experienced the lost of a family member or relative and Spencer's motivation in Cambodia was to help a people that he fell in love with rather than just collecting war footage for western media.

Spencer rubbed shoulders with numerous high ranking Generals including Chantarangsey during that time and has detailed information on what actually took place behind the scenes. Much of what will be told is somewhat different to that expressed by the mainstream media. We plan to come back to Cambodia sometime in 2018 to do more filming for this project, so I'm just reaching out to help build momentum towards having Spencer's full story unfold and made freely available to as many people as possible. Any assistance from members of this group would be greatly appreciated.
mikebrow
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby The third man » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:46 pm

Welcome to the forum Mike and you'll have a ready audience.
The third man
New Sheriff in Town

Postby Miguelito » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:24 pm

Welcome to the forum Mike. I've sent you a private message -- hopefully we can help you promote it in some ways.
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby crazyjohn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:02 pm

Anti war protesters saved tens of thousands of lives. Most Americans were killed in the last years of the war when there was light at the end of the tunnel and peace was at hand. The whole thing was a fraud and anyone who believes otherwise is a fool.
crazyjohn
I've got internet at work

Postby mikebrow » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:44 pm

Miguelito wrote:Welcome to the forum Mike. I've sent you a private message -- hopefully we can help you promote it in some ways.

Many thanks for your support. I will keep the group informed on our progress.

Spencer is very keen to start moving on this project and I have many hours of existing interviews with him in addition to the 8mm film dating 1971 to 1975 in Cambodia.
mikebrow
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby DetroitMuscle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:24 pm

mikebrow wrote:
Miguelito wrote:Welcome to the forum Mike. I've sent you a private message -- hopefully we can help you promote it in some ways.

Many thanks for your support. I will keep the group informed on our progress.

Spencer is very keen to start moving on this project and I have many hours of existing interviews with him in addition to the 8mm film dating 1971 to 1975 in Cambodia.

Have you started to release more footage to YouTube other than what was posted here on the forums?

How many hours of footage do you guys have. I think as more and more Generation X and now the millennials have at least visited Cambodia as tourists compared to 20 years ago, you'd be surprised how many people would be interested in well edited video. The 13 minute clip posted above drew me in. I want to see more.
Anyone who doesn't like Capitalism is a pathetic loser. God bless the USA and no place else.
DetroitMuscle
I Fap to 440

Next

Return to Cambodian History and Culture