Dale of Cambodia.

A place to discuss all aspects of Cambodian history and culture. This is the place to post links to books, articles, documentaries etc on our host country, and to find images of Cambodia's past.

Re: Dale of Cambodia.

Postby Lucky Lucan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:09 pm

mikebrow wrote:
Miguelito wrote:Welcome to the forum Mike. I've sent you a private message -- hopefully we can help you promote it in some ways.

Many thanks for your support. I will keep the group informed on our progress.

Spencer is very keen to start moving on this project and I have many hours of existing interviews with him in addition to the 8mm film dating 1971 to 1975 in Cambodia.

It sounds like an amazing project. I feel the 1970-75 civil war period is often overlooked because of the cataclysm that followed it. It deserves more coverage, if only to give some context to later events. All the best with it anyway, it would be great if you got some backing.
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby Rozzieoz » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:59 am

Amazing footage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rozzieoz
I live above an internet cafe

Postby amirite » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:00 pm

Lucky Lucan wrote:
mikebrow wrote:
Miguelito wrote:Welcome to the forum Mike. I've sent you a private message -- hopefully we can help you promote it in some ways.

Spencer is very keen to start moving on this project and I have many hours of existing interviews with him in addition to the 8mm film dating 1971 to 1975 in Cambodia.

It sounds like an amazing project. I feel the 1970-75 civil war period is often overlooked because of the cataclysm that followed it. It deserves more coverage, if only to give some context to later events. All the best with it anyway, it would be great if you got some backing.

What about the 1965-1970 period, the first gap for the U.S. embassy here in PP -- you almost hear nothing about that as well.
amirite
I live above an internet cafe

Postby mikebrow » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:43 am

DetroitMuscle wrote:
mikebrow wrote:

Have you started to release more footage to YouTube other than what was posted here on the forums?

How many hours of footage do you guys have. I think as more and more Generation X and now the millennials have at least visited Cambodia as tourists compared to 20 years ago, you'd be surprised how many people would be interested in well edited video. The 13 minute clip posted above drew me in. I want to see more.

Spencer captured several hours of 8mm film and took hundreds of still photos. His story is so vast that it is taking some time to work out where to start. Breaking it down into short 3 to 4 minute video chunks for YouTube will ensure to grab peoples attention without boredom setting in. Much of his life and death struggles could not be filmed for obvious reasons however we have his entire experience videotaped and it will be rolling this out once we develop a filming plan. I agree, the Cambodian story is very much in the minds of the younger generation and especially young Cambodians, most of whom have a direct connection with family members caught up in the aftermath of the war. We did a short trip back to Cambodia to meet with local Generals. He was welcomed as a hero at Chantarengseys old base. The below link is on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1zmROUx6e8&t=23s
mikebrow
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby khmerhit » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:02 am

What happened with the General, exactly? Can someone elaborate for this thread? thks.
Joined: '03; Member 39. Funny Quote: Prince Phillip to a driving Instructor in Scotland: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them to pass the test?"
khmerhit
In 93! - I was here, man, you know

Postby Miguelito » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:31 am

Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby David Stearn » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:00 am

Rozzieoz wrote:Amazing footage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was it shredded? I do not see anything in the OP.
Please don't throw me in that briar patch!
David Stearn
5 minutes to kill

Postby Master Donut Baker » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:36 pm

there was former khmer rouge soldier (now living in canada) told me the other day that it was his unit that dealt the final blow to dara chan rainsei troop one week after the fall of phnom penh somewhere in the mountain range in kompongspeu province.
the chosen land.
Master Donut Baker
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates

Postby Lucky Lucan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:10 pm

Master Donut Baker wrote:there was former khmer rouge soldier (now living in canada) told me the other day that it was his unit that dealt the final blow to dara chan rainsei troop one week after the fall of phnom penh somewhere in the mountain range in kompongspeu province.

That's interesting, but I'm not sure who this Dara Chan Rainsei is? Do you mean General Norodom Chantaraingsey? It seems he did actually fight on in Kampong Speu till maybe 1976:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norodom_Chantaraingsey
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby Master Donut Baker » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:16 am

ll, yeah, that is the guy.
the chosen land.
Master Donut Baker

Postby mikebrow » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:57 pm

Master Donut Baker wrote:there was former khmer rouge soldier (now living in canada) told me the other day that it was his unit that dealt the final blow to dara chan rainsei troop one week after the fall of phnom penh somewhere in the mountain range in kompongspeu province.

Spencer and I would be very interested in making contact with your Canadian contact. We do have a few second had accounts of Chantarengsey's last few days, while trying to escape to Thailand, however it would be a great addition to Spencer's story to reveal the actual outcome from someone who was there.
mikebrow
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby Master Donut Baker » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:58 am

maybe i can get his phone number for you, i'll try to do that and when i get it i'll pm you his number. he's very decent guy. he and i sometime get to chat online (paltalk).
the chosen land.
Master Donut Baker

Postby crazyjohn » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:51 am

Interesting thread this. Some great though sad history on show this morning.
crazyjohn
I've got internet at work

Previous

Return to Cambodian History and Culture