Thames TV April 1979

A place to discuss all aspects of Cambodian history and culture. This is the place to post links to books, articles, documentaries etc on our host country, and to find images of Cambodia's past.

Postby Lucky Lucan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:43 am

I haven't seen much footage from Phnom Penh in the mid 80s so I thought this was interesting. It's compiled from super-8s that (I'm presuming) an aid-worker took, with her and her blondie kid wandering around Wat Ounalom, some markets and there are some street shots around 1.10 with Achar Mean (Monivong) looking less than salubrious.

This 1992 one has great street shots:

Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

1995 Cambodia Daily Staffer video

Postby Lucky Lucan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:54 pm

This is great, it has footage of the office with all the by now ancient looking Macs. Street, riverside shots with Chruouy Changva just looking like a sliver of fields. The Brasseries Glasseries de Indochine factory that was on the corner of 154 and Sisowath and T3 prison just behind. Then the bats. 8-)

Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

1968 tourist movie

Postby Lucky Lucan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:25 am

Starts off in Siem Reap and ends up in Phnom Penh, not all the commentary is very accurate but still a very pleasant take on the country. They seemed to encourage kids to climb all over monuments back then.

Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Re: Thames TV April 1979

Postby violet » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:11 am

Lucky Lucan wrote:I haven't seen much footage from Phnom Penh in the mid 80s so I thought this was interesting. It's compiled from super-8s that (I'm presuming) an aid-worker took, with her and her blondie kid wandering around Wat Ounalom, some markets and there are some street shots around 1.10 with Achar Mean (Monivong) looking less than salubrious.

Isn't your first video one that was already posted by the young boy in the film a few months ago? Pretty sure it was. Alexandra probably remembers
violet
Suspicious Little Mad Woman

Re: Thames TV April 1979

Postby ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:16 am

violet wrote:
Lucky Lucan wrote:I haven't seen much footage from Phnom Penh in the mid 80s so I thought this was interesting. It's compiled from super-8s that (I'm presuming) an aid-worker took, with her and her blondie kid wandering around Wat Ounalom, some markets and there are some street shots around 1.10 with Achar Mean (Monivong) looking less than salubrious.

Isn't your first video one that was already posted by the young boy in the film a few months ago? Pretty sure it was. Alexandra probably remembers

Don’t think so. I think the one you refer to had some funky music overlaid on it.
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ
A Moment of Clarity

Previous

Return to Cambodian History and Culture