Lima Site 85 to Open as Tourist Attraction

A place for threads about Cambodia's immediate South East Asian neighbours: Thailand, Vietnam, Lao PDR and Myanmar. News, views, stories, information and experiences and can shared here.

Lima Site 85 to Open as Tourist Attraction

Postby Bong Burgundy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:05 am

Laotian newspapers recently announced that the provincial tourism official "Hon Phan" planned to open the mountain "Phu Pha Thi "The former strategic location in Samoan, northern Lao PDR, is to become a new tourist destination, now a special staircase has been completed.

The report states that in the Vietnam War and the war in Laos, "Phu Pha Thi" was the secretive US military facility known by the password "Lima 85" or "LS-85".

The "Phu Pha Thi" mountain was overrun by Lao Revolutionary forces on 10-11 March 1968, is located on a high mountain with an altitude of about 1,700 meters.
Helicopters were needed to transport food,weapons and equipment there.

To the West, a steep rocky slope rises nearly 90 degrees east, but in the east is a plateau, where the main installation was located.

Soldiers and US officials defending the base died in clashes. From 1994 to 2004, the Lao authorities dug up some remains of US troops missing in war and handed them over to America.

More about LS-85 here http://limasite85.us
Bringing the news a few hours or days before the other channel, or a few minutes after. You stay classy, nah, Cambodia.
Bong Burgundy
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Re: Lima Site 85 to Open as Tourist Attraction

Postby Edwardo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:49 am

Is that helicopter still hovering about?
"The final straw actually involved my mortal enemy vladimir, who you may or may not know is an insufferable, overposting asshat."
Edwardo
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Postby Petrol Head » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:19 am

I’ve often wondered about scaling the rock pile on the Viet side of the border, too. Love the idea of that boardwalk thing.
Petrol Head
Yangon Hipster

Postby over the rainbow » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:47 am

over the rainbow
I live above an internet cafe

Return to Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar and Lao forums