TransferWise

Love it or loathe it, we all need it. This is a forum to discuss all aspects of money matters in Cambodia including banks, exchange rates, ATMs, insurance policies and savings products.

TransferWise

Postby Thrifty » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:52 am

I'm thinking of using TransferWise, for the first time(not to Cambodia).

I've read on a couple of forums that they're good and the cost is relatively low.

Any experiences good, bad?

Thanks
Thrifty
I live above an internet cafe

Re: TransferWise

Postby Spigzy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:02 pm

Probably a toss up between them & WorldRemit for such business. I'd guess their model is a little like Western Union with very attractive low fees & simple process, etc - and then hammer you on the exchange rate?
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Spigzy
Hoff FanBoy

Postby Youn Hoo Fatt » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:12 pm

wing has an international remit process, and also visa international pay, anyone used either of these and can compare
yes i had a makeover
Youn Hoo Fatt
I've got internet at work

Postby Youn Hoo Fatt » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:38 pm

CANT READ IT AND IT IS AN IMAGE SO NO COPY AND PASTE

this page has fees with 2.5% for foreign funds to start http://www.ftbcashcard.com/

went and asked for these mythical cash cards and was labelled a despicable tourist and so refused! a cash card FFS. WILL TRY ANOTHER BRANCH SOME TIME

am under the impression one can get funds out of ones foreign bank account that one doesnt have a card for (eg by online banking) and visa send the cash to oneself at the cash card. .. dont know for certain this is possible

(yeah the bank dont send atm cards overseas no more)
yes i had a makeover
Youn Hoo Fatt

Postby Spigzy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:04 pm

For the FTB card, you don't have to get one of those daft Angry Birds cards, just a standard prepaid card will do. As a foreigner you're best to go to the FTB branch on Kramuon Sar, I got one there no issue. Some of the Wing agents also used to stock them a long time ago, these also probably wouldn't blink an eye so long as you pay the cash for it; the low limit ones are 1 year validity I think.

For transferring between Visa cards, definitely possible also - depends on the country/banks, but Visa Direct allows you to transfer from one card to another. I can't find which Cambodia bank Visa cards allow this, I'll try to find out - all I can see is some foreign country bank sites with Cambodia on the list of receiving countries possible.

That said, I think the OP was trying to do this outside of Cambodia, so we're heading a bit off topic :-)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Spigzy
Hoff FanBoy

Postby Youn Hoo Fatt » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:20 am

Spigzy wrote:For the FTB card, you don't have to get one of those daft Angry Birds cards, just a standard prepaid card will do. As a foreigner you're best to go to the FTB branch on Kramuon Sar, I got one there no issue. Some of the Wing agents also used to stock them a long time ago, these also probably wouldn't blink an eye so long as you pay the cash for it; the low limit ones are 1 year validity I think.

For transferring between Visa cards, definitely possible also - depends on the country/banks, but Visa Direct allows you to transfer from one card to another. I can't find which Cambodia bank Visa cards allow this, I'll try to find out - all I can see is some foreign country bank sites with Cambodia on the list of receiving countries possible.

That said, I think the OP was trying to do this outside of Cambodia, so we're heading a bit off topic :-)

thanks Spigzy will try the Kramuon Sar one
perhaps you have a link to the info on how to use Visa Direct? have looked for this info in the past but got nowhere.
yes i had a makeover
Youn Hoo Fatt

Postby AnassRamaIV » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:46 pm

transferwise can be crap

polish temp, clueless twats employees. unable to input asian bank codes etc

the transactions r mostly instant now even for standard ones

i think azimo? may be better
AnassRamaIV
I've got nothing better to do

Postby badboybubby » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:38 am

Thrifty wrote:I'm thinking of using TransferWise, for the first time(not to Cambodia).

I've read on a couple of forums that they're good and the cost is relatively low.

Any experiences good, bad?

Thanks

i've used them out of oz to europe about a year ago..the fee was minimal, process easy, xchange rate excellent and funds arrived within 24 hours so :thumbsup:
He's been in his room 35 years...time to let him out!
badboybubby
I need professional help

Postby Thrifty » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:51 am

I did use Transferwise to transfer funds to Malaysia, easy, completed within 24 hours and saved me $120 on $10,000 compared to another Online company which I've been using for close to 20 years.

I'm pretty happy with that.

I will be using them again.
Thrifty
I live above an internet cafe

Return to Money, Banking and Insurance