How do you stay healthy?

It's a common complaint; health and healthcare in Cambodia is basic at best. Here is the forum to share information about doctors, hospitals, dentists and all other health-related issues, and for Dagenham to nag us about healthy breakfasts.

Re: How do you stay healthy?

Postby GMJS-440 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:16 am

LexusSchmexus wrote:What exactly is the point of going without a drink for six months? Are you a borderline alcoholic and your liver is messed up? If you have one, you need another seven?

I've had a total of maybe five or six drinks this month. I've always been in decent shape and work out, but for the past month I really cranked it up a notch. Run and workout around six days a week. Told myself no booze, but it's a bit hard to avoid. Not so much because I love it so much, but in some social situations it's difficult. So I've reduced the consumption significantly. It's affected my social life a bit (I avoid going out sometimes), but nothing crazy. I enjoy not getting tipsy to be honest, as I can't handle my alcohol that well anymore. I never sleep well after boozing, feel it the next day and so on.

Anyways, oft it's for the challenge, then I get it. But if you're miserable, what's the point? The health benefits of cutting out completely vs reducing are negligible. It's not like you'll be way healthier/fitter/less fat after those six months with no booze, vs a reduction. Moderation is key. I still have an occasional drink, but I just reduce the intake (1-2 drinks max, maybe once a week tops) because it does make me feel like shit. I also still eat chocolate, which is a vice of mine. However, strict moderation. Quality dark chocolate only with little sugar, and only a few grams (a square or two, depending on the brand) at a time. I like to let it melt in my mouth and it's a nice little dessert/treat in the evenings (or midday...ahem). Would I be healthier by cutting it out completely? I doubt it.

"Told myself no booze, but it's a bit hard to avoid." So you wanted to not drink altogether and could not do it?

But yes, the challenge of it is definitely a thing. Being able to say "I had no alcohol for 6 months" is an accomplishment, especially when my closest friends and family really enjoy their drink!

Would anybody really argue that drinking 1-2 times per week is much more detrimental to health than 0 times? If anything it is a matter of control, eliminating the chance you will be drawn to have "just one more" by not even having the 1st one. Some people are better at moderation than others, no question. My ability to moderate has certainly improved with age but still could use some work :pissed:
"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach English."
Credit Jacked Camry & LTO
GMJS-440
A Moment of Clarity

Postby Genn » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:52 pm

I just go to the gym for the most part and watch what I eat. My dad is diabetic and I'm very cautious with sweet things. Other then that, I just pray that my immune system isn't a beta whimp.
DeSPaCiTo mEmEs
Genn
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby Miguelito » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:20 pm

Marathon done, beers by the pool. Nice and healthy like.

Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby YaTingPom » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:39 pm

Yey, well done!

Working out six days a week is too much, especially if you’re over 40yo. Three or four days a week is enough. You need to give your body and mind time to recover.
You’ll do more damage overdoing it than doing no exercise at all.

I used to do six days a week at the gym in my 30s then was told to go easy and cut it down. Did that, got bigger/more defined and fitter quicker. Then I had 15 years off...
You. Yes you, mind your own fucking business about what I do and don’t say online. Sad sook.
YaTingPom
GoatFetishist

Postby the_purple_turtle » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:22 pm

Miguelito wrote:Marathon done, beers by the pool. Nice and healthy like.

Did you run the course twice or something? [emoji848][emoji12]
the_purple_turtle
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates

Postby Gin&Tonic » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:33 pm

you finished on the podium to get a medal. Congratulations!
Gin&Tonic
Damn, I just saw my Internet Bill !

Postby ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:32 pm

Miguelito wrote:HALF Marathon done, beers by the pool. Nice and healthy like.

FTFY

Don’t be one of those people.
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ
Where Did All the People Go?

Postby Lucky Lucan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:02 am

I chew on the gall-bladders of diminished enemies, and some liver at special times. We share it with our friends. 8-)
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby Playboy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:24 am

Lucky Lucan wrote:I chew on the gall-bladders of diminished enemies, and some liver at special times. We share it with our friends. 8-)
We then wash all that down with a hearty red wine, drunk from a goblet made of their skulls.
"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
Playboy
Play[ing hard to get]boy

Postby Miguelito » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:17 pm

Gin&Tonic wrote:

you finished on the podium to get a medal. Congratulations!

Finishers medal, we all got one :felger:

Yes, half marathon. As it was the Angkor Half Marathon, didn’t think I needed to clarify. Pretty well organized, nice course, bit of traffic getting in and out but not a big deal, I’ll most likely do it again next year. The locals seem really proud of the event, and lots of people up from PP. A good event, and the cold beers afterwards were delicious.
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby vladimir » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:43 pm

What was your time?
“A nation is jolted by a revealing dress at a festival but is not infuriated by a million children sleeping rough and scavenging in trash bins for food,” Egyptian opinion writer Khaled Montaser
vladimir
Feminist Watch List

Postby Jep » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:00 pm

vladimir wrote:What was your time?

He wasn't watching.
Jep
K440 Knight Commander

Postby Spigzy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:57 pm

vladimir wrote:What was your time?

The 60s?
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Spigzy
Hoff FanBoy

Postby Jamie_Lambo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:20 am

I drink San Miguel lights, a Kamagra Jelly for Lunch, and another at Tea time, 3-5 girls a day, keeps me in shape
Mean Dtuk Mean Trey, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks
Jamie_Lambo
Penitus In Meus Brain , Universitas Tune

Postby flanostu » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:38 am

I try to get at least 12hrs+ sleep per day, currently bettering that mark by a few extra hours atm. Other than sleeping, walking to my local for a few bevies. Eating at home or out is usually split depending on the beers.
It's never too late to be nice, unless you die.
flanostu
I've got internet at work

PreviousNext

Return to Health and fitness