Page 6 of 7

Re: How do you stay healthy?

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:19 am
by newnewnewbie
In regards to earlier comments, I'd say that it's all relative, as doing less of something can be beneficial to ones health, such as drinking less, being careful while on those binges, and not sinking into ones hotel room, with the usual assortment of 'pain killers', so readily available round these parts.

Re: How do you stay healthy?

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:23 pm
by Petrol Head
gavinmac wrote:Asking expats in Cambodia how to stay healthy is like asking the Cleveland Browns how to win football games.
Haha. It’s what everyone was thinking, of course.

Re: How do you stay healthy?

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:33 pm
by Lucky Lucan
Petrol Head wrote:
gavinmac wrote:Asking expats in Cambodia how to stay healthy is like asking the Cleveland Browns how to win football games.
Haha. It’s what everyone was thinking, of course.
Nah, I was thinking "What? I'm healthy? " :-?

Re: How do you stay healthy?

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:14 pm
by vladimir
I stay healthy by staying away from barangs

Healthy being a relative term, of course

Re: How do you stay healthy?

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:40 pm
by CambodianDevil
I have found resistance bands a good way to keep fit. They travel easy and versatile. They are not so easy to find in Cambodia, but I have picked up several in Bangkok on visits. The Reebok store there usually has them for a fair price.

Re: How do you stay healthy?

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:52 pm
by Miguelito
Tomorrow starts the annual rush to the gym. Best to avoid for the next three weeks, until they lose their motivation and stop going. I bet people like Felgerkarb hate the month of January for that reason, as it’s mostly people who don’t have proper gym etiquette either as they just don’t know.

Re: How do you stay healthy?

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:33 pm
by Hanno
Miguelito wrote:Tomorrow starts the annual rush to the gym. Best to avoid for the next three weeks, until they lose their motivation and stop going. I bet people like Felgerkarb hate the month of January for that reason, as it’s mostly people who don’t have proper gym etiquette either as they just don’t know.
Yupp, the world over gyms will be packed tomorrow. Drives me nuts but then I have my (almost) private gym.

Re: How do you stay healthy?

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:23 am
by GMJS-440
Heard traffic was a nightmare in Phnom Penh well after 12AM.

Made it past the holidays and multiple parties without drinking so not even a doubt that I won't drink again until March or April. Was kind of easy and as I said I enjoyed annoying my mates with the super-soberness.

Re: How do you stay healthy?

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:38 am
by slavedog
I have eschewed gyms for some time now, too many annoying foreigners at any time of year. Now I limit myself to running, cycling and tennis, activities which I can do equally well on my own or with people I like.

Stayed in and watched Home Alone II with the kids new years eve, snifter of brandy around 10 pm and bed. Did a good 50 km solo ride yesterday, good way to start the new year.

My wife went to Cambodiana, spent hours in traffic, got one free Heineken for her $25 ticket (fortunately the ticket was given her). She wishes she'd stayed home with me.

I find the whole idea of 'counting down' quite moronic these days - prefer to go out for a decent lunch on New Year's Day. Sounds like most people in Phnom Penh counted down in a traffic jam.

Re: How do you stay healthy?

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:46 am
by the_purple_turtle
slavedog wrote:I have eschewed gyms for some time now, too many annoying foreigners at any time of year. Now I limit myself to running, cycling and tennis, activities which I can do equally well on my own or with people I like.

Stayed in and watched Home Alone II with the kids new years eve, snifter of brandy around 10 pm and bed. Did a good 50 km solo ride yesterday, good way to start the new year.

My wife went to Cambodiana, spent hours in traffic, got one free Heineken for her $25 ticket (fortunately the ticket was given her). She wishes she'd stayed home with me.

I find the whole idea of 'counting down' quite moronic these days - prefer to go out for a decent lunch on New Year's Day. Sounds like most people in Phnom Penh counted down in a traffic jam.
This post has a certain KIR ring to it. Happy new year old chap.

Re: How do you stay healthy?

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:56 am
by Hanno
I think this was the first New Year's Eve in decades I did not have as much as a glass of Champagne. Spent the day in hospital with the daughter getting an infusion, then returned to the hotel to a miserable band and temperatures around 3 degrees. I was happy to be in bed by 10pm and go for a run the next day.

Re: How do you stay healthy?

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:31 am
by slavedog
the_purple_turtle wrote:
slavedog wrote:I have eschewed gyms for some time now, too many annoying foreigners at any time of year. Now I limit myself to running, cycling and tennis, activities which I can do equally well on my own or with people I like.

Stayed in and watched Home Alone II with the kids new years eve, snifter of brandy around 10 pm and bed. Did a good 50 km solo ride yesterday, good way to start the new year.

My wife went to Cambodiana, spent hours in traffic, got one free Heineken for her $25 ticket (fortunately the ticket was given her). She wishes she'd stayed home with me.

I find the whole idea of 'counting down' quite moronic these days - prefer to go out for a decent lunch on New Year's Day. Sounds like most people in Phnom Penh counted down in a traffic jam.
This post has a certain KIR ring to it. Happy new year old chap.
Ha! Same to you and yours.

Re: How do you stay healthy?

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:35 am
by slavedog
Hanno wrote:I think this was the first New Year's Eve in decades I did not have as much as a glass of Champagne. Spent the day in hospital with the daughter getting an infusion, then returned to the hotel to a miserable band and temperatures around 3 degrees. I was happy to be in bed by 10pm and go for a run the next day.
If I never have to endure another 'countdown' I'll be happy. Although I suppose as the kids get older I may be cajoled into staying up past bedtime.

A good boozy lunch to celebrate the new year on Jan 1st is definitely way forward.

Re: How do you stay healthy?

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:39 am
by Hanno
slavedog wrote:
Hanno wrote:I think this was the first New Year's Eve in decades I did not have as much as a glass of Champagne. Spent the day in hospital with the daughter getting an infusion, then returned to the hotel to a miserable band and temperatures around 3 degrees. I was happy to be in bed by 10pm and go for a run the next day.
If I never have to endure another 'countdown' I'll be happy. Although I suppose as the kids get older I may be cajoled into staying up past bedtime.

A good boozy lunch to celebrate the new year on Jan 1st is definitely way forward.
Agreed, but will never happen as long as I work in hotels. 1st of Januaries are busy as heck.

Re: How do you stay healthy?

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:29 am
by slavedog
Hanno wrote:
slavedog wrote:
Hanno wrote:I think this was the first New Year's Eve in decades I did not have as much as a glass of Champagne. Spent the day in hospital with the daughter getting an infusion, then returned to the hotel to a miserable band and temperatures around 3 degrees. I was happy to be in bed by 10pm and go for a run the next day.
If I never have to endure another 'countdown' I'll be happy. Although I suppose as the kids get older I may be cajoled into staying up past bedtime.

A good boozy lunch to celebrate the new year on Jan 1st is definitely way forward.
Agreed, but will never happen as long as I work in hotels. 1st of Januaries are busy as heck.
Lots of complaints about the miserable band to deal with?