New father to be!

A lot of expats increasingly settle in Cambodia with families and kids, or acquire them while here. This forum is a place to ask questions and discuss all things family.

Re: New father to be!

Postby gavinmac » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:12 pm

I’ve gotten a US passport at the embassy in Phnom Penh three times.

It took 8-9 days each time.
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003

Postby Kachang » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:57 pm

Phuket2006 wrote:
Kachang wrote:
Phuket2006 wrote:"....to leave Thailand after delivery with your baby, and enter Cambodia with the newly born. You child will not have a passport, "

To get a new passport takes 10 days-2 weeks as i stated, US passports do not put the kids on them.
2 month tourist visa obtained in PP, extend 30days at immigration gives u 90 days

<cut>

10-14 days to get a passport? Also for a newly born, born abroad? That seems like a fairly fast service. To get a passport for my child (born in Cambodia, and non US) I had to jump through quite a few hoops and it took me well over a month to prepare just the local (Cambodian) paperwork I had to provide to the embassy for checks and approval. Maybe Thailand is more efficient....? Or the US government is more lax about giving out passports to babies born abroad than mine?

US passport issued aboard only takes max 2 weeks ( less if u pick it up at the embassy)
To get US passport ( whatever country) ALL they need apply for is the "consolur report of birth abroad" ( passport can be applied for at the same time) and show Birth certificate plus both parents must be present with passports. quite easy

from my link
The child’s parents may choose to apply for a U.S. passport for the child at the same time that they apply for a CRBA. Parents may also choose to apply only for a U.S. passport for the child. Like a CRBA, a full validity, unexpired U.S. passport is proof of U.S. citizenship.

Just a local birth certificate and an American man and woman showing up? That's pretty parent friendly!
Kachang
Bark plop plop bark woof woof

Postby Miguelito » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:09 pm

gavinmac wrote:I’ve gotten a US passport at the embassy in Phnom Penh three times.

It took 8-9 days each time.

And I think that you can pay extra to expedite it.

Kachang wrote:Just a local birth certificate and an American man and woman showing up? That's pretty parent friendly!

Well, the birth certificate does have to have the parents' names on it.
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby Fleksnes » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:48 am

Our daughter was born in Bangkok, and as OP correctly states there are no airlines that will allow a pregnant woman to fly with less than four weeks to the due date. You will also need a medical certificate stating your wife is fit to fly (some airlines require you get a doctor to fill out a specific fit to fly document issued by the airline). For a small fee, any of the major hospitals in Bangkok will do all the work required to obtain the birth certificate from Thai authorities, and get it translated and stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

As for Royal Phnom Penh, most of the obst/gyns are not Thái, and my friends experiences from Royal PP is that they tend to push for a c-section in most cases.

Good luck, OP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fleksnes
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Postby FatherTime » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:09 pm

[quote="Fleksnes"]Our daughter was born in Bangkok, and as OP correctly states there are no airlines that will allow a pregnant woman to fly with less than four weeks to the due date. You will also need a medical certificate stating your wife is fit to fly (some airlines require you get a doctor to fill out a specific fit to fly document issued by the airline). For a small fee, any of the major hospitals in Bangkok will do all the work required to obtain the birth certificate from Thai authorities, and get it translated and stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

As for Royal Phnom Penh, most of the obst/gyns are not Thái, and my friends experiences from Royal PP is that they tend to push for a c-section in most cases.

Good luck, OP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Yes, we’d heard about the push for c-sections (especially if anything even remotely looks off), which is another reason to choose Bangkok.
FatherTime
5 minutes to kill

Postby Lucky Lucan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:30 am

FatherTime wrote:
Yes, we’d heard about the push for c-sections (especially if anything even remotely looks off), which is another reason to choose Bangkok.

Thailand has a rate of 34% c-sections while Cambodia is less than 2%.
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby gavinmac » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:24 am

Lucky Lucan wrote:
FatherTime wrote:

Cambodia has a lot more women delivering in a hut
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003

Postby Phuket2006 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:44 am

gavinmac wrote:
Lucky Lucan wrote:
FatherTime wrote:

Cambodia has a lot more women delivering in a hut

or in local village clinics where the stats are most likely not reported
"We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer." HST
Phuket2006
The Internet is my Friend

Postby Mèo Đen » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:32 am

Factors associated with caesarean sections in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Clémence Schantz, Kruy Leang Sim, Véronique Petit,Heng Rany, Sophie Goyet Reproductive Health Matters December 2017

A WHO Survey conducted in 359 facilities worldwide found c-section rates in Asia ranging from 18.6% in Japan to 47.6% in China(19) In Cambodia,estimates range from 14% to 30%.(4,19,20) Of 21 countries surveyed in 2010-2011, Cambodia had the largest increase in c-section rate (+16.8% per year between 2007-2008 and 2010-2011),(19)

Comparisons of successive Cambodian Demographic and Health Surveys (CDHS) also suggest a sharp increase from 0.8% to 6.3% in the country, and from 4.6% to 14.4% in Phnom Penh between 2000 and 2014 (21,23) The situation in the province of Phnom Penh is of particular interest, as it reported the highest c-section rate in the country in 2014.(21) Our previous research in four maternity clinics in Phnom Penh showed a c-section estimate of 27% in 2015 (n=5855 c-sections/21,673 deliveries), (22)

In 2015, Calmette Hospital was the largest maternity center in Phnom Penh, with 11,080 deliveries, of which 26% were done by C-section. Calmette is a half-private, half-public university hospital, established by the French in 1959. This hospital is known for catering to clients of higher socio-economic class.The cost of an overnight stay ranges from 10 to 250 USD, allowing poorer women to deliver there also. For all patients, a vaginal birth costs 60 USD,a c-section 278 USDhttp://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1016/j.rhm.2016.11.009?needAccess=true
Mèo Đen
I Can Haz Catz ?

Postby Cam-pooh-cheer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:50 pm

I completely agree that there is no need to go to Bangkok. My wife gave birth at the Sompop Sorphea Maternity Clinic (No. 62, St. 141) and the whole thing was great - very competent midwifes and doctors, great facilities and extremely comfortable. Even the view from the balcony was great as our room overlooked the Olympic Stadium.

By the way, are women allowed to fly in their 3rd trimester? If not, are you going to go by road? - That journey and eight months pregnant won't be much fun.........for either of you!
Cam-pooh-cheer
5 minutes to kill

Postby twiceayear » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:25 am

Late to the discussion.

Couple of quick points.

Royal Hospital in PP - did not experience any push for C-section. Natural birth, on duty doctor was Thai and he had worked in USA for about 25-30 years and has a home in Florida.

Getting the birth abroad/passport WAS NOT EASY in Cambodia. We had to get the Cambodian birth certificate issued where the mother is registered. ie The hospital does NOT issue a birth certificate - they issue a report of birth or something like that. It is not the same. That alone took a week.

Also, we had to provide Cambodia/English translation to get the hospital certificate issued (wish I knew that in advance). And hospital refused to help. That was a disaster. Either country might want to ask so you can have names and other info translated beforehand.

Being as your both citizens and married getting the birth abroad report/passport should be a straight-forward process.

Asian airlines are really strict about medical forms for obviously pregnant women. Make sure you've taken care of how your getting to BKK well in advance. I had initially thought about Singapore or BKK, but the reality is that the extra services they can provide are around premature birth - and we likely wouldn't be there anyways in that case. So we decided to stay in Cambodia.

Personally, I'd see how the pregnancy goes. If your wife has complications then I'd opt for BKK. But if things procede relatively well, I'd go to Royal in PP.

Best of Luck
twiceayear
5 minutes to kill

Postby epidemiks » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:08 am

twiceayear wrote:
Getting the birth abroad/passport WAS NOT EASY in Cambodia. We had to get the Cambodian birth certificate issued where the mother is registered. ie The hospital does NOT issue a birth certificate - they issue a report of birth or something like that. It is not the same. That alone took a week.

Also, we had to provide Cambodia/English translation to get the hospital certificate issued (wish I knew that in advance). And hospital refused to help. That was a disaster. Either country might want to ask so you can have names and other info translated beforehand.

You had to provide a translation to get the hospital to issue their certificate? Khema issued a dual language certificate for us - double sided with English and Khmer. All we had to do was provide them the English and Khmer spelling for our and the boy's names.

Getting the Khmer birth certificate at the Sangkat was straightforward for us. We send the hospital birth certificate with the MIL to the province where my wife is registered and it was done in a day.

Getting citizenship by descent (Aus) was a fairly simple online process, but required scans of every bit of evidence of our relationship, marriage docs, all the echos and medical chekups throughout the pregnancy, photos, and getting the obstetrician to endorse photos and provide copies of her national ID and hospital ID.

Then the embassy refused the passport application at first because because of dodgy photos they rejected, and then because I'd put Phnom Penh as place of birth on the citizenship application, instead of the province listed on the Khmer birth certificate. Had to get the citizenship certificate reissued matching the birth certificate, which was done in a day, and then passport was ready in less than a week.
epidemiks
I Love 440 More Than Real Life

Postby FatherTime » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:18 am

Thanks for the info guys.

I think that twiceayear meant he needed the kid’s name and other information ready in Khmer language as well? Do you think I’ll need to have that ready in Thai when in Bangkok? Will the birth certificate have his name in Latin or Thai scrip?
FatherTime
5 minutes to kill

Postby epidemiks » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:39 am

FatherTime wrote:Thanks for the info guys.

I think that twiceayear meant he needed the kid’s name and other information ready in Khmer language as well? Do you think I’ll need to have that ready in Thai when in Bangkok? Will the birth certificate have his name in Latin or Thai scrip?

If the mother is Khmer, can't she write down the relevant translations on the form provided? He implies it was more complicated than simply filling in a form. That's all we did.

Old, but probably useful thread on TV regarding Thai script and registering births: https://www.thai visa/forum/topic/37 ... -thailand/

Probably wise to work out what Amphur (sangkat equivalent, I'm guessing) you will need to register at - seems to be some confusion whether that's necessary for foreigners.
epidemiks
I Love 440 More Than Real Life

Postby FatherTime » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:05 pm

The facilities here are pretty nice.

“Natural birth” room, with a jacuzzi to relax in and Apple TV:

And then if you opt for epidural, you move over to this room (still with and Apple TV and mini fridge).

How would this compare to some of the nicer places you’ve mentioned in Cambodia? Do they have the same?
FatherTime
5 minutes to kill

PreviousNext

Return to Family, children and relationships