UK PASSPORTS FOR DEPENDANTS

A lot of expats increasingly settle in Cambodia with families and kids, or acquire them while here. This forum is a place to ask questions and discuss all things family.

UK PASSPORTS FOR DEPENDANTS

Postby ricecakes » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:42 pm

I have a UK passport that i got by virtue of my father.
So that makes me a full British citizen .
Am I able to get my two aussie / khmer children UK passports on the back of mine ?
I had thought that either a ) possibly only my son could as there was some archaic patricide rule or b ) the free ride stopped with me given i was not actually a "natural" brit

however - as i look over the forms they seem quite straight forward and have different sections for different types of applications and my kids seem to fit into the ; new paspsort application / not naturalised / born outside the UK / parent with UK citiszenship etc

anyone ?
Rated R for Ricecakes
ricecakes
I Fap to 440

Re: UK PASSPORTS FOR DEPENDANTS

Postby electron » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:05 pm

If you were born abroad you are likely british by descent, ie your only claim to citizenship is as a descendant of a british citizen. In that case you can't pass citizenship on, unless (I think) you also lived in the UK for a number of years.
electron
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Postby ricecakes » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:10 pm

Ah yes. A little bit of googling and right you are ! thanks
Rated R for Ricecakes
ricecakes
I Fap to 440

Postby FatherTime » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:42 pm

Same for Americans. You are a citizen by birth of born to a parent abroad, but then you have to spend a combined total of 5 years in the U.S. I think before you can pass it on again.
FatherTime
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby YaTingPom » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:07 pm

Them Irish can get their grandkids citizenship.
They allow any old riff raff to get it.
Oh long will old Ireland be seeking in vain
Ere we find a new leader to match the man slain.
YaTingPom
GoatFetishist

Postby PSD_Kiwi » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:23 pm

Hey Rice cakes, a little off-topic...not sure if it's the same for Aussies, but New Zealanders who are citizens by descent must give birth to their children in NZ in order to pass NZ citizenship on.

If it's the same for Aussies, be sure to tell your kids (when they're much older obviously) to make sure their children are born in Aussie.
A lot of people like to fool you and say that you’re not smart if you never went to college, but common sense rules over everything. That’s what I learned from selling crack. -Snoop Dogg
PSD_Kiwi
Penitus In Meus Brain , Universitas Tune

Postby ricecakes » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:47 am

PSD

"if you were born overseas on or after 26 January 1949 to an Australian citizen parent, you may be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship by descent.If your responsible parent became an Australian citizen by descent, he or she must have been present in Australia for periods totalling two years at some time in their life"

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Citizens ... tizen.aspx

rc
Rated R for Ricecakes
ricecakes
I Fap to 440

Postby PSD_Kiwi » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Cool, so as long as your kids spend a minimum of two years in Aussie, their children will be eligible for citizenship by descent if they have born abroad.

Better than NZs stupid laws.
A lot of people like to fool you and say that you’re not smart if you never went to college, but common sense rules over everything. That’s what I learned from selling crack. -Snoop Dogg
PSD_Kiwi
Penitus In Meus Brain , Universitas Tune

Return to Family, children and relationships