Bringing kids to [normal] bars

A lot of expats increasingly settle in Cambodia with families and kids, or acquire them while here. This forum is a place to ask questions and discuss all things family.

Re: Bringing kids to [normal] bars

Postby Wayward Woods » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:47 am

Don’t mind Logos, he’s just upset that they have a dress code and wouldn’t let him in with his vest and birkenstocks.
Scobienz 3.0
Wayward Woods
I live above an internet cafe

Postby Spigzy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:06 am

logos wrote:
Any bar in the US or Europe would let you in at 5:30 PM with your well behaved infant, but they were told here “no one under 18 can come in and drink.”

I very much doubt you'd be able to take a toddler to some British pubs except on family brunches. Why do you assume you should be exempt of written rules, just because you're a Westerner in Cambodia?

No trouble at all from my experience, a British pub is usually quite a family place, particularly in the summer. Certainly outside of London I've rarely seen any pub turning anyone away.

Of course in the evening it'd be frowned upon by just about every other customer, so it isn't something you would see a lot. Legally, so long as a child (baby through to under 16) is accompanied by an adult there is nothing wrong. Certain pubs may implement their own rules however and can reject entry to anyone from babies through to people who simply should go home & stop drinking.

I had no qualms having my son with me in a pub in London whilst I caught up with my extended family this summer, but again probably as I know which pub is a good environment for him to be in and not be exposed to loutish behaviour & foul language; but isn't that also part & parcel of growing up?
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Spigzy
Hoff FanBoy

Postby ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:18 pm

Yeah, in the U.K. there would be difference between rules a pub, a bar, and a club

Pubs, in general are fine for kids to enter.
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ
A Moment of Clarity

Postby Alexandra » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:16 am

Why did you insist on Sora? Why did you not enjoy the same view from Brasserie Louis, Iza or Cuts? I don’t know what their child policy is but did you ask or just blindly march towards Sora?

By the way when you say you’re having a beer with your son some people might mistake that for your son actually drinking beer. This is Cambodia and you should probably rephrase that when talking to Cambodians. Make it clear that you are having the beer. Don’t say “me and my 1 infant or whatever wants beer when do they stop being infants anyway haha”.
Bless is no more
Alexandra
Penitus In Meus Brain , Universitas Tune

Postby gavinmac » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:30 am

I think, and I could be wrong, that a lot of bars in the USA ban anyone under 21 at any time.
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003

Postby Playboy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:03 pm

Yes, but they are American children and teenagers ...
"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
Playboy
Play[ing hard to get]boy

Postby violet » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:10 pm

^touche (no autocorrect offered).
violet
Suspicious Little Mad Woman

Postby logos » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:43 pm

Wayward Woods wrote:Don’t mind Logos, he’s just upset that they have a dress code and wouldn’t let him in with his vest and birkenstocks.

For the record I've graduated to hush puppies :thumbsup:
Would you mind reminding us whose sock you are ?
logos
WankPoodle

Previous

Return to Family, children and relationships